About Product and Test Engineering (in chip company)

In summary, PTE (Product and Test Engineering) is a promising field in the electronics industry, with good job prospects in both PTE and IC design. The nature of work in PTE includes both analog and digital aspects, as on-chip integration increases. The work primarily involves writing test programs, analyzing test results, and improving chip yields. It is important to have knowledge in both analog and digital domains in order to be successful in this field.
Kholdstare
I want to know how prospective is the field of PTE (Product and Test Engineering) compared to IC Design Engineers? What good may lie in future in this field?

Also, how much digital/logic related work vs. analog work is done in PTE?

Thank You

Physics news on Phys.org
I worked in the IC field for many years. Given the continued growth of electronics, there should be good job prospects in both IC design and PTE for some time. I no longer work in the field, but my friends who do tell me the job prospects today are good. PTE typically includes both analog and digital aspects. As on-chip integration increases, more and more chips have both analog and digital content, so it would be good to be comfortable with both.

thanks phyzguy. But what I want to know is the nature of work in PTE. Like whether they use analog knowledge to design test circuits, connect chip and test them etc. OR whether they write digital testbenches in verilog, use programming skills, work in logic/abstract domain.

Actually, I'm weak in digital/logic design/test domain. :D So, I want to avoid digital work. ;)

My experience was that much of the work was writing test programs and analyzing test results in order to improve chip yields. I'm not sure you can do electronics these days and 'avoid digital work'. Maybe there are still some pure analog chips, but I think it's a niche. Anyone else Have an opinion?

i did have an internship in PTE and just like @phyzguy said, basically your job is to improve chip yields,
beside you're going to familiar with writing test programs,you will get new knowledge in testing concept, and you'll get a lot of analog things there,

Related to About Product and Test Engineering (in chip company)

1. What is the role of a product and test engineer in a chip company?

A product and test engineer in a chip company is responsible for designing, developing, and testing semiconductor products. They work closely with other engineers and teams to ensure that the products meet the required specifications and quality standards.

2. What are the key skills required for a product and test engineer in a chip company?

The key skills required for a product and test engineer in a chip company include a strong understanding of semiconductor technology, proficiency in programming languages and software tools, analytical and problem-solving skills, and the ability to work in a fast-paced and collaborative environment.

3. How does a product and test engineer contribute to the production of chips?

A product and test engineer plays a crucial role in the production of chips by designing and implementing test strategies, developing test plans and procedures, and performing rigorous testing to ensure the quality and functionality of the chips. They also work closely with the manufacturing team to troubleshoot and resolve any issues that may arise during the production process.

4. What is the difference between product engineering and test engineering?

Product engineering focuses on the design and development of semiconductor products, while test engineering focuses on ensuring the quality and functionality of these products through rigorous testing. Product engineers are responsible for developing the product specifications and design, while test engineers are responsible for developing the testing procedures and strategies to validate the product's performance.

5. What are the challenges faced by product and test engineers in a chip company?

Some of the challenges faced by product and test engineers in a chip company include keeping up with the constantly evolving technology and market demands, ensuring the quality and reliability of the products, and meeting tight deadlines and production schedules. They also need to work closely with other teams and departments, which may require strong communication and collaboration skills.