A thread for those who want to go back to school

• Thread starter PhotonSSBM
  • Start date
In summary: However, if I ever did need one, I would strongly recommend seeking out someone who has gone through the same process as you have in order to be a good roommate.
PhotonSSBM
Insights Author
I'd like to make a thread like ZapperZ's for people who want to go back to school after years of being out. That's where I started at 2 years ago, and I've had a lot of success in my own studies and mentoring others in the same boat at my local CC. I was accepted to the University of Pittsburgh recently and begin this spring. I've always felt something like this was missing from the academic guidance section since I found the forum back in 2013. People are always willing to give out advice, but very few have actually come from that background of being non-traditional here on PhysicsForums. I'd like to share what I've learned in these 2 years.

Here's the start of what I'd want this thread to be. Let me know if this is something the forum would like to keep on sticky in academic guidance. This is a work in progress so I will probably word some things differently as I grow the piece. Thanks for any input you'd like to give.

Attachments

• So you want to go back to school....docx
    15.2 KB · Views: 197
Likes billy_joule and Greg Bernhardt
Physics news on Phys.org
You should post this in insights. It's quite good.

That said, I have two stickied threads in the Academic guidance forum. I want to transform these threads in a collection of academic insights advice. So it will basically be a thread with a dictionary of links to insights articles on academic advice, and then a discussion thread of that. I think your nice work would be most appropriate to be added to that thread!

Likes Greg Bernhardt
micromass said:
You should post this in insights. It's quite good.

That said, I have two stickied threads in the Academic guidance forum. I want to transform these threads in a collection of academic insights advice. So it will basically be a thread with a dictionary of links to insights articles on academic advice, and then a discussion thread of that. I think your nice work would be most appropriate to be added to that thread!
Would you suggest I apply to be a writer and submit the series in pieces on the insights page? The fact that I don't have a bachelor's won't be an issue?

If the advice is good then the advice is good. So yes, go and apply. People will review your work then.

PhotonSSBM said:
Would you suggest I apply to be a writer and submit the series in pieces on the insights page? The fact that I don't have a bachelor's won't be an issue?
I'm sending you a message and we can talk about it.

Great article! This will be a good reference for others who contemplating the same move.

I also recommend the mathispower4u.com website as a source of free videos where you can learn much of the math needed for studying physics in short 10 minute video format ala Khan's Academy style. The video presenter is a CC professor too.

With respect to the depression issue, there was an article recently about how it affects graduate students:

http://qz.com/547641/theres-an-awful-cost-to-getting-a-phd-that-no-one-talks-about/

I agree with much of what is in the paper except for the need for company. I have come to enjoy long periods of solitude and find company annoying outside of school (company which I enjoy). Fortunately I have good -enough funding at the moment to not need a roommate.

What are the benefits of going back to school?

There are several potential benefits of going back to school, including gaining new knowledge and skills, improving career prospects, networking with other professionals, and personal growth and fulfillment.

What factors should I consider when deciding to go back to school?

When deciding to go back to school, you should consider your long-term career goals, financial situation, time commitment, and personal responsibilities. It is also important to research the program and school to ensure it aligns with your goals and needs.

Is it possible to balance work and school?

Yes, it is possible to balance work and school, but it requires good time management skills and prioritization. It may also be helpful to communicate with your employer and discuss potential flexibility or support options.

Are there alternative ways to further my education besides traditional college programs?

Yes, there are alternative ways to further your education, such as online courses, certificate programs, and vocational training. These options may be more flexible and affordable for individuals with busy schedules or specific career goals.

How can I finance my education as an adult student?

There are several options for financing your education as an adult student, including scholarships, grants, loans, and employer tuition assistance programs. You can also consider budgeting and making lifestyle adjustments to save money for your education.