A tennis ball dropped vertically (Newton's Forces)

In summary, the problem involves a tennis ball with a mass of 0.057 kg falling from a height of 18 m with an initial velocity of 0 m/s and a final velocity of 12 m/s. The magnitude of the average resistive force acting on the ball is calculated to be 0.3306N. There is no normal force in this problem and the equation used to solve it is F = m(g-a) where downward is considered positive.
Chandasouk

Homework Statement

A tennis ball has a mass of 0.057 kg. After falling 18 m vertically from rest it has a speed of 12 m/s. What is the magnitude of the average resistive force acting on it as it falls?

My answer for this was .3306N

mass = 0.057kg

Vi = 0 m/s

Vf = 12m/s

Xi = 18m

Xf=0m

I started with w=mg = -0.05586N

So FN must be 0.05586N since it is dropped vertically. The free body diagram would be FN pointed up and weight pointing straight down.

I used the equation V^2 = Vi^2 +2a[tex]\Delta[/tex]x

(12m/s)^2 = 2a(-18m)

a = -4m/s^2

F=ma

F=(.057kg)(-4m/s^2) = -0.228N

Fnet = Fn + Fresistance = .5586N + (-.228N) = .3306N

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good!

What is the normal force due to in this problem? Wouldn't there only be the force of gravity (pointing down) and the resistive force (pointing up)?

There isn't a normal force. Yes, that solution is confusing. Better to write
mg - F = ma (downward is positive)
F = m(g-a) = .057(g - 4) = 0.331 N.

Okay, thank you. I recognized that after i replied/worked the solution out myself.

Delphi51 said:
There isn't a normal force. Yes, that solution is confusing. Better to write
mg - F = ma (downward is positive)
F = m(g-a) = .057(g - 4) = 0.331 N.

So you set the Fy which is mg and F equal to ma? What would the equation look like if you said downward was negative? I worked it out and got the acceleration as negative. Is it because you said downward was positive that -4m/s^2 was now just 4m/s^2?

Last edited:

Related to A tennis ball dropped vertically (Newton's Forces)

1. How does gravity affect a tennis ball when it is dropped vertically?

Gravity is a force that pulls objects towards the center of the Earth. When a tennis ball is dropped vertically, gravity causes it to accelerate towards the ground at a rate of 9.8 meters per second squared (m/s²). This means that the speed of the tennis ball increases by 9.8 m/s every second it falls.

2. How does Newton's First Law apply to a tennis ball dropped vertically?

Newton's First Law states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. In the case of a tennis ball dropped vertically, the ball is initially at rest and remains at rest until it is acted upon by the force of gravity. Once the ball starts falling, it will continue to fall at a constant velocity unless another force, such as air resistance, acts upon it.

3. What is the force acting on a tennis ball when it is dropped vertically?

The force acting on a tennis ball when it is dropped vertically is gravity. This force is caused by the mass of the Earth and pulls the ball towards the ground. The magnitude of this force is determined by the mass of the tennis ball and the distance between the ball and the center of the Earth.

4. How does air resistance affect a tennis ball dropped vertically?

Air resistance is a force that opposes the motion of an object through air. When a tennis ball is dropped vertically, it experiences air resistance as it falls through the air. This force increases as the speed of the ball increases, eventually balancing out the force of gravity and causing the ball to reach a maximum velocity, known as terminal velocity.

5. What happens to the kinetic energy of a tennis ball when it is dropped vertically?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. When a tennis ball is dropped vertically, its potential energy (energy due to its position) is converted into kinetic energy as it falls. The faster the ball falls, the more kinetic energy it has. At the moment of impact with the ground, all of the ball's potential and kinetic energy is converted into other forms of energy, such as heat and sound, causing the ball to come to a stop.