How to find the acceleration of a rebounded ball?

In summary: So what is the answer?In summary, the magnitude of the average acceleration of the tennis ball during contact with the floor is 1259.6 m/s^2 and the average acceleration is up.
Eclair_de_XII

Homework Statement

"To test the quality of a tennis ball, you drop it onto the floor from a height of 4.00 m. It rebounds to a height of 2.00 m. If the ball is in contact with the floor for 12.0 ms, (a) what is the magnitude of its average acceleration during that contact and (b) is the average acceleration up or down?"

Homework Equations

##x_0=4m##
##x=0m##
##a=9.8\frac{m}{s^2}##
##v^2=v_0^2+2a(x-x_0)##
##x-x_0=v_0t+\frac{1}{2}at^2##
Answer as given by book: (a) 1.26 ⋅ 103 m/s2; (b) up

The Attempt at a Solution

##v^2=2(9.8\frac{m}{s^2})(4m)=78.4\frac{m^2}{s^2}##
##v=8.85\frac{m}{s}##

Next, I change this final velocity for the fall from 4 m to 0 m to the initial velocity for the rebound from 0-m to 2 m.

##v_0=-8.85\frac{m}{s}##
##x=2m##
##x_0=0m##
##t=0.012s##

##2m=(8.85\frac{m}{s}(0.012s)+\frac{1}{2}a(0.012s)^2##
##4m-0.21251m=a(0.000144s^2)##
##a=26302.1\frac{m}{s^2}≠1260\frac{m}{s^2}##

Does something happen to the velocity of the ball once it touches the ground? Does it lose energy; if so, by how much?

Physics news on Phys.org
The formula you applied for the second part of the calculation (a SUVAT formula) is for constant acceleration. But you applied it from the moment before the bounce to the top of the next bounce. Acceleration is certainly not constant over that period.
Find the velocity immediately after the bounce.

Isn't it just 8.85 m/s? If not, that just brings me to that last question in my post.

Eclair_de_XII said:
Isn't it just 8.85 m/s? If not, that just brings me to that last question in my post.
How high does it go after bouncing? It does not reach 4m.

It goes to 2 m. So what, is the velocity halved?

Eclair_de_XII said:
It goes to 2 m.
Right, so what is its speed immediately after the bounce?

4.425 m/s.

haruspex said:
Right, so what is its speed immediately after the bounce?
You changed your post while I was writing mine...
No, the speed is not halved. Do the calculation.

I really hate using the same equation too many times, but...

##x=2m##
##x_0=0m##
##v=0\frac{m}{s}##
##a=-9.8\frac{m}{s^2}##

##v^2=v_0^2+2(-9.8\frac{m}{s^2})(2m)##
##-v_0^2=(4m)(-9.8\frac{m}{s^2})##
##v_0^2=(4m)(9.8\frac{m}{s^2})##
##v_0=±6.621\frac{m}{s}##

Eclair_de_XII said:
I really hate using the same equation too many times, but...

##x=2m##
##x_0=0m##
##v=0\frac{m}{s}##
##a=-9.8\frac{m}{s^2}##

##v^2=v_0^2+2(-9.8\frac{m}{s^2})(2m)##
##-v_0^2=(4m)(-9.8\frac{m}{s^2})##
##v_0^2=(4m)(9.8\frac{m}{s^2})##
##v_0=±6.621\frac{m}{s}##
Yes, but which sign is right?
You could have avoided the full computation by observing that, according to both the SUVAT equation and the KE+PE=constant equation, the height is proportional to the square of the speed, so if half the height just divide by sqrt(2).

The positive one? I mean, since I already have 2 m as positive, in a direction going up, and the gravity as negative, going down, then it should be natural that the velocity of the ball, going up, should be positive.

Eclair_de_XII said:
The positive one? I mean, since I already have 2 m as positive, in a direction going up, and the gravity as negative, going down, then it should be natural that the velocity of the ball, going up, should be positive.
Right, so what is the change in velocity caused by the bounce? Careful with signs.

It's final minus initial velocity, right? So...

##Δv=v_f-v_i=(6.62\frac{m}{s}-8.85\frac{m}{s})=-2.23\frac{m}{s}##

Eclair_de_XII said:
It's final minus initial velocity, right? So...

##Δv=v_f-v_i=(6.62\frac{m}{s}-8.85\frac{m}{s})=-2.23\frac{m}{s}##
What is the sign on the initial velocity!

Oh, it's going down relative to 6.62 m/s, so it's negative.

##Δv=6.62\frac{m}{s}+8.85\frac{m}{s}=15.47\frac{m}{s}##

Eclair_de_XII said:
Oh, it's going down relative to 6.62 m/s, so it's negative.

##Δv=6.62\frac{m}{s}+8.85\frac{m}{s}=15.47\frac{m}{s}##
Right, so what is the acceleration?

##a=\frac{15.47\frac{m}{s}}{0.012s}=1290\frac{m}{s^2}##

To be more precise...

##a=\frac{(78.4\frac{m^2}{s^2})^0.5+(39.2\frac{m^2}{s^2})^0.5}{0.012s}=1259.6\frac{m}{s^2}##

Eclair_de_XII said:
##a=\frac{15.47\frac{m}{s}}{0.012s}=1290\frac{m}{s^2}##

To be more precise...

##a=\frac{(78.4\frac{m^2}{s^2})^0.5+(39.2\frac{m^2}{s^2})^0.5}{0.012s}=1259.6\frac{m}{s^2}##
Yes.

Related to How to find the acceleration of a rebounded ball?

1. How do you measure the acceleration of a rebounded ball?

To measure the acceleration of a rebounded ball, you will need a video camera and a measuring device such as a ruler or tape measure. Record the rebound of the ball in slow motion and use the measuring device to calculate the distance traveled by the ball. Then, use the formula a = (vf - vi) / t to calculate the acceleration, where vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time taken for the rebound.

2. What factors affect the acceleration of a rebounded ball?

The acceleration of a rebounded ball can be affected by several factors such as the material and shape of the ball, the surface it bounces off of, and the initial velocity of the ball. Other factors that may affect the acceleration include air resistance, spin of the ball, and external forces acting on the ball.

3. Can the acceleration of a rebounded ball be negative?

Yes, the acceleration of a rebounded ball can be negative. This can happen when the ball is thrown or bounced downwards, resulting in a decrease in velocity and a negative acceleration. It can also occur when the surface it bounces off of exerts a force that leads to a decrease in velocity.

4. How does the mass of the ball affect its acceleration during a rebound?

The mass of the ball has a direct impact on its acceleration during a rebound. According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that a lighter ball will have a higher acceleration during a rebound compared to a heavier ball.

5. Is there a relationship between the angle of the rebound and the acceleration of the ball?

Yes, there is a relationship between the angle of the rebound and the acceleration of the ball. When the ball bounces off a surface at a steeper angle, it will experience a higher acceleration as it changes direction. This is because the force acting on the ball is greater when it bounces at a steeper angle, leading to a higher acceleration.