A survey on gullibility in Australia

In summary, a survey conducted in Australia revealed that gullibility is a prevalent issue among the population. The results showed that a significant percentage of individuals were easily swayed by false information and were unable to recognize scams or manipulative tactics. The survey also found that younger generations were more susceptible to gullibility, with a lack of critical thinking skills and a reliance on social media being contributing factors. Overall, the survey highlights the need for increased education and awareness on recognizing and avoiding gullible behaviors.
sylas
Science Advisor
This is brilliant. A new TV show in Australia sent out a press release about a new study which measured the relative gullibility of people in different Australian cities. The big question... how many of the news outlets checked the story?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMQCcOSfaYw

Physics news on Phys.org
You mean that everything that I read isn't true? :smile:

Not surprising really. I find it amazing how many news stories don't pass a simple sniff test. Reporters are not scientists, engineers, or other technical professionals, but they are supposed to be fact checkers. The real travesty is when news agencies publish something damning about someone or something without checking facts and then ignore it when what they reported is proven false. If I hear another report damning a basic food staple for being horribly unhealthy I think I'll smash my TV.

chayced said:
Not surprising really. I find it amazing how many news stories don't pass a simple sniff test. Reporters are not scientists, engineers, or other technical professionals, but they are supposed to be fact checkers. The real travesty is when news agencies publish something damning about someone or something without checking facts and then ignore it when what they reported is proven false. If I hear another report damning a basic food staple for being horribly unhealthy I think I'll smash my TV.

Yeah I hear that! I did smash my TV. I almost exclusively use the Internet for all my info, thus I can quickly use Google to cross check supposed "facts".

sylas said:
This is brilliant.
It really is. Great find.

pallidin said:
Yeah I hear that! I did smash my TV. I almost exclusively use the Internet for all my info, thus I can quickly use Google to cross check supposed "facts".

+1. TV News is more entertainment than actual information.

I think the most hilarious thing is when i think about how much people argue over politics. People nearly have heart attacks sometimes arguing over some nonsense and who knows if their nonsense is a hoax or not. I've heard so many people talk about "a new study" or "a new report" detailing 'such and such blah blah blah' and how it sooooo proves their point and how they just go insane in such discussions. I think its hilarious how it could be so easy to put some BS out their and have people lose a lung over it.

Has anyone here checked ths sources on this story?

Ivan Seeking said:

It's youtube. If we can't trust what we see on youtube...

Ivan Seeking said:
My thought exactly! How do we know this isn't a hoax?

In fact, how do we know that "Physics Forums" isn't a hoax? Maybe Greg Bernhardt is making up all those dumb questions himself!

HallsofIvy said:
My thought exactly! How do we know this isn't a hoax?

In fact, how do we know that "Physics Forums" isn't a hoax? Maybe Greg Bernhardt is making up all those dumb questions himself!

If you can believe me... there actually was a reverse-hoax when they were making this story. One member of the "Hungry Beast" team that made this show and set up the sting subsequently pretended to be a reporter who saw through the hoax, and called up his fellow conspirators. They eventually smelled a rat, and he was was found out. All this occurred as they were putting the show together. See http://hungrybeast.abc.net.au/stories/testing-testers .

Or maybe this is the hoax. I'm so confused.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to A survey on gullibility in Australia

1. What is the purpose of the survey on gullibility in Australia?

The purpose of the survey is to gather data and insights on the level of gullibility among the Australian population. This information can be used to better understand how people perceive and react to different types of information and to identify potential areas for improvement in critical thinking skills.

2. Who conducted the survey and how was it conducted?

The survey was conducted by a team of researchers from various universities in Australia. It was conducted using an online questionnaire that was distributed to a representative sample of the Australian population.

3. What were the key findings of the survey?

The key findings of the survey revealed that a significant portion of the Australian population is susceptible to being deceived or manipulated, with factors such as age, education, and political affiliation playing a role in gullibility levels. The survey also highlighted the prevalence of misinformation and fake news in Australia.

4. How can the results of this survey be used?

The results of this survey can be used by individuals, organizations, and government agencies to raise awareness about the importance of critical thinking and fact-checking. It can also be used to develop educational programs and interventions aimed at improving critical thinking skills and reducing gullibility levels in Australia.

5. Are there any limitations to this survey?

Like any survey, there are limitations to consider when interpreting the results. The sample size and demographics may not fully represent the entire Australian population, and there may be biases in self-reported data. Additionally, gullibility is a complex concept and cannot be fully captured by a single survey. Further research is needed to fully understand this phenomenon.