A rocket ship leaves earth at a speed 0.6c. When a clock....

In summary, a rocket ship leaves Earth at 0.6c and the ship's clock reads 1 hour elapsed. The Lorentz factor calculated using 0.6c is 1.25. The time on the Earth clock when the signal was sent is equivalent to the time on the ship's clock when the signal was received. The equations used were Lorentz factor: gamma = 1/sqrt(1-(v/c)^2) and Velocity = distance / time. Further clarification is needed on when the signal was sent and received in order to accurately solve the problem.
cosmos42

Homework Statement

A rocket ship leaves Earth at 0.6c. The clock of the rocket says 1hr has elapsed.
(a.) According to the earth clock, when was the signal SENT?
(b.) According to the earth clock, how long after the rocket left did the signal arrive BACK on earth?
(c.) According to the rocket clock how long after it left did the signal arrive back on earth?

Homework Equations

Lorentz factor: gamma = 1/sqrt(1-(v/c)^2)
Velocity = distance / time

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated the gamma factor using 0.6c for the velocity and got 1.25. T=T(0)(gamma) = 1hr (1.25) = 1.25 hr. I don't know if this calculation is for part (a.) or (b.).
I'm not sure where to go from here to find the solution for part (c.)

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry about duplicate messsage

Last edited:
Hi cosmos:

As I read the problem statement, there are some ambiguities.
1. References are made to a "signal", but the statement does not specify when the signal is sent I am guessing that the signal is sent from the ship when the ship's clock reads one hour has elapsed since take off.
2. Re (a), The only information that Earth has about when the signal was sent is when it was received. Is the question what would someone om Earth calculate as the time on the ship's clock when the signal was sent? If the Earth person understands SR, then presumable they can calculate correctly that the ships clock said the the signal was sent one hour after takeoff, and they can make the adjustment for SR to get the corresponding reading of the Earth clock. I am guessing that this is desired answer.
2. Re (c), a similar guess to (2) is needed about what the ship person has to calculate.

I suggest that it would be useful to first establish clear statements about all these assumptions. It should be straight forward to develop an equation that shows a relationship between a time on the Earth clock and the time that a corresponding time an Earth person would calculate for the ship's clock, and vice versa. Because of symmetry, how would you conclude these two equations would relate to each other?

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Buzz

Related to A rocket ship leaves earth at a speed 0.6c. When a clock....

1. How does time dilation affect a rocket traveling at 0.6c?

Time dilation is the phenomenon in which time appears to pass slower for an object moving at high speeds. In the scenario of a rocket leaving Earth at a speed of 0.6c, time dilation would occur and the clock on the rocket would appear to run slower compared to a clock on Earth.

2. What is the relationship between velocity and time dilation?

The relationship between velocity and time dilation is that as an object's velocity increases, time dilation also increases. This means that the faster an object is moving, the more time appears to slow down for that object.

3. How does time dilation affect the aging process of astronauts?

Time dilation can have a significant impact on the aging process of astronauts. Due to the slower passage of time on the rocket, astronauts will age at a slower rate compared to people on Earth. This effect becomes more pronounced as the velocity of the rocket increases.

4. What is the significance of reaching 0.6c in terms of time dilation?

Reaching 0.6c is a significant speed in terms of time dilation because at this velocity, time dilation becomes more noticeable. The clock on the rocket would appear to run slower than a clock on Earth by a factor of 0.8, meaning for every day that passes on Earth, only 0.8 days would pass on the rocket.

5. Can time dilation be observed on Earth?

Yes, time dilation can be observed on Earth, but the effects are extremely small and can only be measured with extremely precise instruments. For example, the clocks on GPS satellites, which travel at high speeds in orbit around Earth, have to be adjusted for the effects of time dilation in order to accurately function.