A request for a political discussion.

• Suggestion
  • Thread starter OAQfirst
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker suggests creating a closed debate sub-forum on Physics Forums for Obama, McCain, and their staff to discuss important issues. However, they doubt that either candidate would be willing to participate, considering their busy schedules and lack of understanding on certain topics. They also question the effectiveness of the proposed forum in providing satisfactory answers and solutions to pressing issues.
OAQfirst
I would like to see a closed debate sub-forum for Obama, McCain and staff, at Physics Forums. After watching the debate, I believed that it was insufficient -at least compared to what could come from a discussion hosted here could offer. If it could be offered to them, I do believe that it would provide the best opportunities for everyone to express their concerns and have questions answered by some of the best minds around.

Physics news on Phys.org
If they both are ignoring the request of a debate by the Science Debate 2008 that is endorsed by so many Nobel Laureates, what makes you think they'll come to some internet forum to state their case?

Zz.

It would be great if PF had the kind of influence to attract two presidential nominees to a closed forum, however . . . .

I believe McCain's and Obama's schedules are fixed between now and Nov. 4.

After watching part of the debate last night, I doubt we'd get satisfactory answers to any question. I wouldn't trust either staff to give knowledgeable answers.

Starting with a direct question on the current financial crisis and the government bailout, I'm not sure either really understands what is going on, and it's not clear to me that anyone in Washington (the federal government) really understands the magnitude or gravity of the problem, except possibly for Paulson and Bernanke, but I can't imagine they have had time to check all the balance sheets of all the distressed financial companies.

Related to A request for a political discussion.

1. What is a political discussion?

A political discussion is a conversation or debate about current events, policies, and issues related to government and politics. It can involve different perspectives and opinions on these topics.

2. Why is a political discussion important?

A political discussion allows individuals to share their thoughts and ideas on important issues, learn about different perspectives, and potentially influence decisions and policies that affect them and their communities.

3. How can I prepare for a political discussion?

To prepare for a political discussion, it is important to research and educate yourself on the topics being discussed. This can involve reading news articles, watching debates, and understanding different viewpoints.

4. How can I respectfully engage in a political discussion?

Respectful engagement in a political discussion involves actively listening to others, being open to different perspectives, and avoiding personal attacks. It is important to communicate respectfully and avoid interrupting or dominating the conversation.

5. What are some tips for facilitating a productive political discussion?

To facilitate a productive political discussion, it is important to establish ground rules, encourage respectful communication, and ensure that all voices are heard. It can also be beneficial to have a moderator to guide the discussion and keep it focused on the main topics.