A question in thermodynamics mass and volume flow rates

In summary, mass transfer is considered a path function because it involves the movement of mass from areas of high concentration to low concentration, similar to how heat transfers from high temperature to low temperature. This means that the state of the system cannot be determined solely based on the initial and final conditions, making it a path function.
ehabmozart
Hello everyone,

I have a small question regarding mass and volume flow rates. It is shown in my book that there is a difference between path functions and point functions. I can understand why work or heat for example are path functions. However, I don't understand why mass transfer is also a path function. Specifically, the following equation is my problem:

-------------- δ[PLAIN]http://upload.wikimedia.org/math/2/0/5/2056619d3cf80e2d000509b6110c57ec.png= ρV(normal)dA -----
They followed by discussing that for a given radius, the Area is known but is not the case for the integral of δm and we cannot say [PLAIN]http://upload.wikimedia.org/math/2/0/5/2056619d3cf80e2d000509b6110c57ec.png2- [PLAIN]http://upload.wikimedia.org/math/2/0/5/2056619d3cf80e2d000509b6110c57ec.png1... I want to understand why is it so. We can clearly define the mass flow at a particular position. Can't we?

Thanks to whoever contributes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thermodynamic mass transfer usually happens by diffusion or convection. The idea is that mass is moving from areas of high concentration to low concentration, similar to how heat transfers from high temperature to low temperature. Given a state of the system of where the mass is, there is no way to say how it got to that state (or how much work was done to get it into that state). That's why it's a path function.

Related to A question in thermodynamics mass and volume flow rates

What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is a branch of physics that deals with the relationships between heat, work, energy, and temperature.

How are mass and volume flow rates related in thermodynamics?

In thermodynamics, mass and volume flow rates are related through the equation Q = m * Cp * (T2 - T1), where Q is the heat transfer, m is the mass flow rate, Cp is the specific heat capacity, and T2 and T1 are the temperatures at the outlet and inlet, respectively.

What is the difference between mass flow rate and volume flow rate?

Mass flow rate is the amount of mass that passes through a given cross-sectional area per unit time, while volume flow rate is the amount of volume that passes through a given cross-sectional area per unit time.

How do you calculate the mass flow rate?

The mass flow rate can be calculated by dividing the mass of a substance passing through a given cross-sectional area by the time it takes to pass through that area. It can also be calculated by multiplying the volume flow rate by the density of the substance.

What is the significance of mass and volume flow rates in thermodynamics?

Mass and volume flow rates are important in thermodynamics as they help us understand and analyze the transfer of heat and energy in various systems. They also play a crucial role in the design and optimization of various engineering processes and equipment.