Strange unit of mass flow rate G?

In summary: The equation you are referring to is most likely the Navier-Stokes equation, which is a mathematical model describing the fluid dynamics of a body of fluid.
DanKot
Hi
When I was writting my thesis I found in an article, published in International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, an unit of mass flow rate G - kg/(m^2*s). Isn´t it wrong? I think that the unit of mass flow rate is kg/s. Would you mind helping me to figure it out? Thanks.

Attachments

• ppp.jpg
    ppp.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 751
Engineering news on Phys.org
Looks to be the unit of mass flow rate over a given surface area " m^2". Either through an orifice or over a surface. Would that make sense?

RogueOne said:
Looks to be the unit of mass flow rate over a given surface area " m^2". Either through an orifice or over a surface. Would that make sense?

That was option I was thinking about. So If I have steam flow in tube, I can just calculate the surface and then I got well-known mass flow rate m - kg/s ?
Thanks

DanKot said:
That was option I was thinking about. So If I have steam flow in tube, I can just calculate the surface and then I got well-known mass flow rate m - kg/s ?
Thanks

Looking at the equation again, I take back what I said in the last post. I'll look into it more tomorrow, but I think it may actually have to do with resistance to flow or momentum

From the above post it would appear RogueOne has access to the equation(s) in which G and m are used. Could you post those applicable equations; and, maybe where and how they are applied?

Attachments

• Graf1-upravena.jpg
    Graf1-upravena.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 457
The symbol G is usually used to represent mass flux (mass flow rate per unit area).

Likes DanKot
I have reviewed the abstract, which is of little value in resolving the issue. The only thing that strikes me is the same possibility presented above regarding the inclusion of surface area. From a condensation production standpoint, all other factors being equal, the amount of condensate produced at a given flow rate will be proportional to the available total steam contact area of the flow section; so, in a calculation or equation for condensate production based upon differential temperatures then both the rate of flow and contact surface area would be contributing factors.

Related to Strange unit of mass flow rate G?

1. What is the unit of mass flow rate G?

The unit of mass flow rate G is a strange unit that is often used in scientific calculations involving fluid dynamics. It is a dimensionless quantity that represents the mass flow rate per unit area.

2. How is strange unit G different from other units of mass flow rate?

Unlike other units of mass flow rate, such as kilograms per second or pounds per minute, strange unit G is not tied to a specific physical quantity. Instead, it is a ratio between the mass flow rate and the area over which the flow is occurring.

3. Why is strange unit G used in fluid dynamics?

Strange unit G is often used in fluid dynamics because it allows for easier comparison between different systems. It eliminates the need to convert between different units of mass flow rate and instead focuses on the relative flow rates and areas.

4. How is strange unit G calculated?

To calculate strange unit G, you divide the mass flow rate (in units of mass per time) by the area (in units of length squared). This results in a value with no units, representing the mass flow rate per unit area.

5. Can strange unit G be converted to other units of mass flow rate?

No, strange unit G cannot be converted to other units of mass flow rate because it is a dimensionless quantity. It is a ratio between two physical quantities and does not have a specific numerical value on its own.