A Question: A novel set in the future

In summary: I also want to show the reader where the technology came from, why it is important, and how it affects the characters.Great advice!
Curiose
I have been writing this science fiction novel in the form of a blog so that I can get feedback. It's based on the direction that technology is progressing on a whole, but in a "distant" future when we basically Ray Kurzweil got his way, but it didn't turn out exactly how he predicted.

Chapter 1

Please let me know what you guys think... if you like it, or if it gives you any ideas ;)

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you are writing a novel or writing a plot line for a novel? In a novel, the characters should "speak for themselves" - i.e. there should be extensive dialog - which can be internal dialog. Long expository passages are often boring - - "Bob did ...thus-and-so while his such-and-such..." or "The frozen lake glistened with ...". It would be more interesting to hear Bob thinking about what he did or commenting about the frozen lake.

Of course, in contradiction to my dogma, there are some writers who perform the feat of holding our attention while giving long expository passages I'm not sure how they manage it. If you intend to try, I suggest you study writers like P. D. James or Guy de Maupassant. Generally speaking, they have the knack of writing long expository passages in a context that doesn't cause the reader to wonder what was said or what was thought.

Likes Curiose
Well, the problem with this specific writing is that it's set in a future when people pretty much stop talking to each other... They communicate only with thought, over their version of the internet... which is mostly images, feelings, etc.

Here's Chapter 3... in the beginning of the book chapters are a bit jumpy from character to character.

Chapter 3: Dot's World

My biggest challenge has been trying to convey communication without using dialogue or questions. It's been super hard. I will check out P.D James and Guy de Maupassant.

Thanks for the reply!

Curiose said:
Well, the problem with this specific writing is that it's set in a future when people pretty much stop talking to each other... They communicate only with thought, over their version of the internet... which is mostly images, feelings, etc.

In some writing, there is a person presenting the story ,a narrator who has his own personality and comments on the events. You might try that approach if all the characters must be mute.

Likes Curiose
Stephen Tashi said:
In some writing, there is a person presenting the story ,a narrator who has his own personality and comments on the events. You might try that approach if all the characters must be mute.

Great idea, thanks! I will try this method. Maybe the narration is someone who outlived the entire era of time the story took place in. I am already referring to pretty much everything in past omnipresent third person.

Ooh, maybe the Narrator is a machine artifact which holds digital historic records in some sort of crystal memory device, but the machine itself has a personality and ability to communicate the history through spoken word.

Did you read Dot's World? I try to paint a picture, but I try to balance between description and action.

Curiose said:
Did you read Dot's World?
Yes. I find it boring. Of course, I'm not into computer games or fantasy scenarios.

I try to paint a picture, but I try to balance between description and action.

The trouble is that I can think of Dot as a figure in of one those computer-graphic generated action/adventure videos. She has no particular personality. There is "action" in the chapter, but there is no reason for the reader to take it seriously. Most the of action appears to be imaginary action. It soon ceases to startle,

There are some works of art that aren't meant to hold the attention of the audience. (I've heard that an avante guard composer wrote a symphony made up entirely of rests.) If you are writing that sort of abstract "literary exercise" then I don't know how to criticize it constructively.

If you are writing with the normal purpose in mind (to hold the reader's attention) the following plan won't work: "I've visualized a really neat future world - or past world -or new technology etc. I'll document it by writing a story." As literature, documentation is boring. (- or perhaps you yourself enjoy reading documentation for proposed computer games?)

Thanks Stephen. What do you suggest as far as learning character building? I would look at google, but on things like this, I prefer interacting with people overr just looking stuff up.

It is definitely the second. It's not necessarily that I want to document a technology, if not, show how it affects us as humans... but at a human level, with proper stories, to get readers to relate to the characters. I feel like I don't know what I'm getting myself into, lol! I have 0 experience writing novels. I've written some short stories for school when I was younger.

The first chapters are supposed to be introductory chapters to different story lines. I definitely need to grab and keep the readers attention from the very first chapter through the rest of the introductions and the "world introduction" part. Should I focus more chapters on each personality instead of skipping to another person in every chapter?

I feel like there is too much technology to explain because the world is so different from the one we live in... but there's definitely got to be a balance between me "explaining" and "storytelling"

My opinions:

Don't invent characters - use the one's you already have.. Use people you know - or use bits and pieces of them - combine parts of different people you know into one person if convenient. You can even write about a character that is a satire of yourself.

The "balance" between explaining a future world and storytelling should be a total imbalance in favor of storytelling. The environment of a story is not a crucial feature. Yes, many popular literary works are associated with particular environments ( e.g. various sci-fi works, with various future words and. Sherlock Holmes stories with Victorian England ). However, what makes such stories hold our attention is not the environment. You could move the western "High Noon" to a sci-fi setting and still have a good story. You could probably move "The Hound of the Baskervilles" to the wild west and still get something out of it. If a major goal is to present a picture of a particular future environment, you're all set to write documentation, but not to write a story.

Unlike documentation, fiction does not require giving the reader comprehensive background knowledge before things start happening. Part of what holds a readers attention is guessing or inferring what's going on. In sci-fi this is often done by having characters mention some undefined thing (e.g. a "blurr spout") and the reader only gradually figures out what it means.

Likes Curiose
Stephen Tashi said:
The environment of a story is not a crucial feature.

Thinking in real life, I totally understand that from traveling. After living in a number of places around the world for different periods of time, I realized that the people I meet are what forms my opinion about the place.

To re-iterate what you said in "my own words": instead of worrying about describing the place, let the readers slowly discover the properties of the settings through experiencing the story through the characters.

I definitely have my work cut out for me!

Thanks again!

Curiose said:
Ooh, maybe the Narrator is a machine artifact which holds digital historic records in some sort of crystal memory device, but the machine itself has a personality and ability to communicate the history through spoken word...

Aurora by Kim Stanley Robinson did a great job of that. Ship is both narrator and a character.

Likes Curiose
stefan r said:
Aurora by Kim Stanley Robinson did a great job of that. Ship is both narrator and a character.

Just got my next reading assignment ;)

Related to A Question: A novel set in the future

1. What is the main theme of "A Question: A novel set in the future"?

The main theme of "A Question: A novel set in the future" is the exploration of how society and technology have evolved in the future and the impact of these changes on humanity.

2. Is the future depicted in the novel realistic?

The future depicted in the novel is based on scientific and technological advancements that are currently being researched and developed. While some aspects may be exaggerated for dramatic effect, the overall portrayal is grounded in scientific possibility.

3. How does the novel address ethical concerns surrounding technology in the future?

The novel raises ethical concerns surrounding the use and development of technology in the future and examines how these concerns may impact society as a whole. It also delves into the moral implications of using technology to improve or alter human life.

4. Who are the main characters in the novel and what makes them compelling?

The main characters in the novel are a diverse group of scientists, engineers, and everyday people who are navigating the changes and challenges of the future. They are compelling because they each bring unique perspectives and experiences to the story, and their struggles and triumphs are relatable to readers.

5. Does the novel offer any solutions to the problems faced in the future world?

The novel presents potential solutions to the problems faced in the future, but ultimately leaves it up to the reader to decide which path is the most promising. It encourages critical thinking and reflection on the complex issues presented, rather than offering a simple solution.