Photovoltaics and time near a black hole (as a key story element)

In summary, a physics student and science fiction writer shares an idea for a novel or short story involving a future where humans have advanced technology and can manipulate gravity. A professor explains the concept of time dilation near a black hole and a naive student suggests using photovoltaics to collect energy. However, a more experienced professor points out the practical challenges involved. Another professor becomes inspired and plans to go near the event horizon to collect a large amount of energy, but faces technological challenges. The original poster seeks input on the physics and technology involved, as well as potential plot ideas. The conversation also touches on the possibility of hand-waving some of the scientific details and using alternative methods for propulsion and energy collection.
Daniel Sellers
I'm a physics student and science fiction writer, and I've never been to this section of PF before! But I have an idea I think is cool for a novel or short story and I'd like some input on the physics involved. As I'm not overly worried about this idea being stolen I'm going to provide a short plot setup:

The setting is the distant future where human technology has progressed to near god like capabilities including, if we wanted to, the ability to go 'close' the event horizon and maintain a large enough radial acceleration to stay in one place (not close enough to become spaghettified).

In a physics lecture, a professor explains that in such a gravitational field you would experience time dilation. One problem you would have to contend with is that, depending on how close to the event horizon you were sitting, you might have thousands or even millions of years worth of stellar radiation bearing down on you at once.

A student naively suggests that we could place photovoltaics in such a position and then retrieve them with millions of years worth of energy stored in a battery (assuming the energy to avoid falling in was less than the energy you were collecting... blah blah hand waving)

"No," the professor explains, "because we, far from the black hole, would still have to wait millions of years before the battery was so charged. We might as well just build solar panels and wait a million years, but I have a lunch meeting this afternoon so I can't."

Another professor in the future-university overhears, and is inspired, because she is working on some project that requires an extreme amount of power (could go a lot of different directions with this). She thinks: I myself could go down near the event horizon, collect millions of years worth of solar power, and then come back up. Millions of years would have passed, but I could potentially have the largest concentration of energy in the universe in my possession. So she starts starts gathering a team to do just that.

If you've read all of this then thanks for your time! I'm mostly asking for input on the physics, what kind of technology this future-physicist would need etc... but there's a lot of room here for action and human interest so plot ideas are welcome too.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I just realized this thread belongs in writing and world building, not the general sci-fi section. Sorry! Can it be moved?

Daniel Sellers said:
If you've read all of this then thanks for your time! I'm mostly asking for input on the physics, what kind of technology this future-physicist would need etc... but there's a lot of room here for action and human interest so plot ideas are welcome too.

I haven't done much math for the following, so it's mostly a best-guess based on my limited knowledge of physics, especially GR.

The key things would be the propulsion technology to get your team there and back, the capability to store all of that energy (preferably in a compact form), and the photovoltaics. You have many options, it's more a question of 'how big' you want your spaceship(s). Standard chemical rockets would work, but you'd have to build a truly gargantuan spacecraft just to have enough fuel to get your ship to the star system and deliver it back to wherever they wanted to go after their little trip.

You also need run into a size and mass problem with storing the energy. A million years worth of energy (assuming it's not a trivial amount per year) requires a staggeringly huge mass of whatever you're going to store it in, whether it's batteries, reactive chemicals, radioactive isotopes, or whatever. We're talking MUCH more energy storage than the entire world currently has.

The photovoltaics are subject to similar scaling issues. Assuming you need more energy than the typical planet produces in, say, a few decades or centuries, you'd need solar arrays at least the size of large cities. Luckily I think this is the least problematic of your issues. However, we're also assuming that the majority of the light hasn't been blueshifted right past the visible region and into the x-ray or gamma ray regions. The kind of time dilation you're talking about would likely do just that. Even if you limit time dilation to 1000x slower than 'real time' you still blueshift light by that same factor. So deep red light at 700 nm in wavelength is now 0.7 nm, which is in the far x-ray range.

On top of all that, your spaceship and its equipment needs some way to survive the tremendous flux of heat and particles bombarding it.

My view is that you should invent some technologies that go some way towards solving these scaling issues. More efficient engines and fuel, higher-density and lower mass energy storage, and more efficient ways to collect solar energy. Or, you could always ignore these issues and focus on the characters and the story, hand-waving away or not mentioning the technology behind the venture. That's also a perfectly viable option.

Thanks for the very thoughtful response!

Indeed, I write stories for characters and adventures in interesting settings, but this story would be enhanced by at least some exploration of the physics I think. It was inspired by in actual discussion of GR with one of my professors after all.

I would probably go with hand-waving for the energy storage system.

I suppose in theory you could pick what spectrum of light you wanted to intercept by how deep in the gravity well you set your photo cells. But is there anything inherently un-physical about panels designed to receive far x-ray light?

Also, what about instead of propulsion the system was allowed to stay in place by surrounding the black hole and balancing the gravity? Kind of like an inverted Dyson-sphere or maybe just a Dyson-ring. Of course then I invite all the challenges associated with a Dyson sphere, but other people have pondered these challenges quite a lot already.

As for all the heat bombarding the craft, I'd be comfortable saying 'very advanced futuristic radiation shielding' and the ambient heat onboard could actually be an additional source of power generation.

On the story side, our million+ year old physicist might re-emerge to find she's become a legend, and find people waiting for her and the unprecedented power bank she's acquired - should she anticipate this and find some way to weaponize the super-battery? Just thinking out loud now.

Thanks again!

Daniel Sellers said:
I suppose in theory you could pick what spectrum of light you wanted to intercept by how deep in the gravity well you set your photo cells. But is there anything inherently un-physical about panels designed to receive far x-ray light?

Well, they wouldn't be your everyday solar panels like we have now, but there's no reason they have to be photovoltaics. Perhaps these panels are filled with a fluid that absorbs the x-rays and heats up, with a very efficient heat engine driving the power production.

Daniel Sellers said:
Also, what about instead of propulsion the system was allowed to stay in place by surrounding the black hole and balancing the gravity? Kind of like an inverted Dyson-sphere or maybe just a Dyson-ring. Of course then I invite all the challenges associated with a Dyson sphere, but other people have pondered these challenges quite a lot already.

Sure. Go ahead.

Daniel Sellers said:
On the story side, our million+ year old physicist might re-emerge to find she's become a legend, and find people waiting for her and the unprecedented power bank she's acquired - should she anticipate this and find some way to weaponize the super-battery?

The story aspect is much more difficult to help with. You have an almost unlimited number of options, and you'll have to figure out what kind of story you want to tell.

1. How does photovoltaics work near a black hole?

Photovoltaics is the process of converting light energy into electricity. In the context of a black hole, the intense gravitational pull causes a distortion in space-time, which can bend and amplify light. This amplified light can then be captured by photovoltaic cells and converted into electricity.

2. What is the significance of using photovoltaics near a black hole?

Using photovoltaics near a black hole is significant because it allows for the generation of electricity in an environment where traditional methods may not be feasible. This could be useful for powering spacecraft or other equipment near a black hole.

3. How does time near a black hole affect photovoltaics?

Time near a black hole is affected by the intense gravitational pull, which causes time dilation. This means that time moves slower near a black hole compared to a distant observer. This can impact photovoltaic cells as their efficiency may decrease due to the slower passage of time.

4. Can photovoltaics be used to study black holes?

Yes, photovoltaics can be used to study black holes by measuring the amount of light being captured and converted into electricity. This can provide valuable information about the intensity of the gravitational pull and the effects of time dilation near a black hole.

5. Are there any risks to using photovoltaics near a black hole?

There are potential risks to using photovoltaics near a black hole, such as the intense radiation and gravitational forces that could damage the equipment. Additionally, the time dilation effect could also impact the efficiency of the photovoltaic cells. It is important to carefully consider these risks before using photovoltaics near a black hole.