A projectile fired upwards on earth and mars.

In summary, the projectile will take 98m/s to land on Mars if it is fired upward with the same initial velocity.
m0286
Hello
I have a calculus problem (1st year) that I cannot solve I am completely confused:
It says:
We are given that the Earth's gravitational acceleration is gE=9.8m/s^2 (downward) and that on Mars gM=3.72m's^2 (downward)
If a projectile is fired upwards from the Earth it lands back on Earth in 10seconds. How long will the projectile take to land back on the surface of Mars if it is fired upwards with the same initial velocity?

So what I've done is:
Earth: d(t)=1/2at^2 so x(t)=490m... so would this be the entire distance or just the distance downward, so that the entire distance would be 980?

Then since velocity =d/t its 980/10s =98m/s (or) 490/10 =49m/s... (not sure which one to use)
And d(t)=vt+1/2at^2 So would I just take the values I got.. and plug them and the Mars acceleration in this equation and solve for t?? Or I have I done something completely wrong? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
m0286 said:
Hello
I have a calculus problem (1st year) that I cannot solve I am completely confused:
It says:
We are given that the Earth's gravitational acceleration is gE=9.8m/s^2 (downward) and that on Mars gM=3.72m's^2 (downward)
If a projectile is fired upwards from the Earth it lands back on Earth in 10seconds. How long will the projectile take to land back on the surface of Mars if it is fired upwards with the same initial velocity?

So what I've done is:
Earth: d(t)=1/2at^2 so x(t)=490m...
Okay, that's wrong! That would be for something that had initial velocity 0. It would fall a distance (1/2)at^2 in time t. The whole point here is that the object has an initial velocity, upward, otherwise it wouldn't move upward at all. Of course, you aren't told that initial velocity- that's why you are told that the time it takes to come back to earth- so you can calculate that.

Since this was posted in the "Calculus and beyond" section, I presume that you know how to do this:
dv/dt= a so v= dx/dt= at+ v0, where v0 is the initial velocity. Integrating again, x(t)= (1/2)at2+ v0t+ x0. Taking the initial height, x0, to be 0, we have just x(t)= (1/2)at2+ v0t. Obviously, when t= 0, x(0)= 0. But you are also told that x(10)= 0. What must v0 be for that to be true (with a= -980 of course)?

Now replace a with -3.72, use that same v0 and solve (1/2)at2+ v0t= 0 for t. (That has one obvious answer and the other is easy.)

so would this be the entire distance or just the distance downward, so that the entire distance would be 980?

Then since velocity =d/t its 980/10s =98m/s (or) 490/10 =49m/s... (not sure which one to use)
And d(t)=vt+1/2at^2 So would I just take the values I got.. and plug them and the Mars acceleration in this equation and solve for t?? Or I have I done something completely wrong? Thanks

Thanks!

ohhhh
Makes so much more sense to me now, i got it.. Thanks a lot!

Related to A projectile fired upwards on earth and mars.

1. What factors affect the maximum height reached by a projectile fired upwards on Earth and Mars?

The maximum height reached by a projectile fired upwards on Earth and Mars is affected by the initial velocity, the angle of launch, and the acceleration due to gravity on each planet.

2. How does the acceleration due to gravity on Earth and Mars impact the trajectory of a projectile fired upwards?

The acceleration due to gravity on Earth and Mars has a significant impact on the trajectory of a projectile fired upwards. The stronger gravity on Earth causes the projectile to reach a higher maximum height and land sooner than on Mars, due to the greater force pulling it towards the ground.

3. Does the mass of the projectile affect its maximum height when fired upwards on Earth and Mars?

Yes, the mass of the projectile does affect its maximum height on both Earth and Mars. A heavier projectile will experience a stronger force of gravity and therefore reach a lower maximum height compared to a lighter projectile.

4. How does air resistance affect the motion of a projectile fired upwards on Earth and Mars?

Air resistance plays a role in the motion of a projectile fired upwards on both Earth and Mars. However, the impact of air resistance is greater on Earth due to its denser atmosphere. This results in a slower ascent and descent of the projectile, and a slightly lower maximum height compared to Mars.

5. Is the trajectory of a projectile fired upwards on Earth and Mars symmetrical?

Yes, the trajectory of a projectile fired upwards on Earth and Mars is symmetrical. This means that the projectile will follow the same path on its way up and down, assuming there is no air resistance or external forces acting on it.