Why is the velocity of a jump on Mars the same as on Earth?

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem involving calculating how high a person would jump on Mars. The equations used are v2 = 2.amars.h1 and V2 = 2.g.h2, and the attempt at a solution involves solving for h1. The question is raised about why the jump velocity on Mars is assumed to be the same as on Earth, and it is explained that it is due to simplification in models. The conversation also delves into the issue of defining jump height and the limitations of muscles. The final conclusion is that the problem can be solved using the equation m.g.h1 = m.a.h2, or by referring to the rules of the Olympic Standing Jump from 1912.
HAF

Homework Statement

Good evening,
I have a homework where the question is "How high will person jump on Mars?"

Homework Equations

v2 = 2.amars.h1
V2 = 2.g.h2

The Attempt at a Solution

I know everything to solve it. I can solve it by h1 / h2 . In this created equation the only unknown is h1 so it's all cool. But why can I assume that v1 and V1 are the same? Why jump velocity on Mars is the same as on Earth? Aren't there any changes? For example lower strength of muscles due to different weight(force)? I know that maybe my question is completely stupid and I'm very sorry about it. I'm happy that I've atleast tried to find it out but I think that I can't figure out why the velocities are the same without your help.

Likes PeroK
Physics news on Phys.org
HAF said:
But why can I assume that v1 and V1 are the same?
Because it is homework and one is expected to use models that are simplified to the point of being incorrect.

Likes Tom.G and HAF
jbriggs444 said:
Because it is homework and one is expected to use models that are simplified to the point of being incorrect.
Thank you very much sir. Now everything makes sense to me. I really appreciate it!

HAF said:
Why jump velocity on Mars is the same as on Earth?
The assumption is that the work the legs can do is the same. There is also the issue of how the height of jump is defined, but vertical displacement of mass centre (from the crouch position) is the biophysical standard. So it is not really about take off speed. How is that defined? At the moment the feet leave the ground, the Martian jumper would have a greater speed, having done less work against gravity already.

Of course, it is not really true that the same work will be done. Muscles have a couple of limits - max force and max contraction rate - with a nonlinear response along the way.

haruspex said:
The assumption is that the work the legs can do is the same. There is also the issue of how the height of jump is defined, but vertical displacement of mass centre (from the crouch position) is the biophysical standard. So it is not really about take off speed. How is that defined? At the moment the feet leave the ground, the Martian jumper would have a greater speed, having done less work against gravity already.

Of course, it is not really true that the same work will be done. Muscles have a couple of limits - max force and max contraction rate - with a nonlinear response along the way.
Aha. So for correctness should I solve it from equation m.g.h(1) = m.a.h(2) right?

haruspex said:
There is also the issue of how the height of jump is defined, but vertical displacement of mass centre (from the crouch position) is the biophysical standard.

Or, you could refer to the rules of the Olympic Standing Jump, from 1912:

HAF said:
Aha. So for correctness should I solve it from equation m.g.h(1) = m.a.h(2) right?
That's how I would approach it.

Related to Why is the velocity of a jump on Mars the same as on Earth?

1. Why is the velocity of a jump on Mars the same as on Earth?

The velocity of a jump on Mars is the same as on Earth because both planets have a gravitational pull that affects the acceleration of objects. This means that the force of gravity on an object is dependent on its mass and the strength of the gravitational field, which is similar on both Mars and Earth.

2. Does the atmosphere of Mars affect the velocity of a jump?

Yes, the atmosphere of Mars does have an impact on the velocity of a jump. Mars has a much thinner atmosphere compared to Earth, which means there is less air resistance. This can result in a slightly higher velocity during a jump on Mars compared to Earth.

3. How does the mass of Mars affect the velocity of a jump?

The mass of Mars does not directly affect the velocity of a jump. However, the mass of a planet does play a role in determining the strength of its gravitational pull, which ultimately affects the velocity of a jump. Mars has a lower mass compared to Earth, but its gravitational pull is still strong enough to produce a similar velocity during a jump.

4. Is the velocity of a jump on Mars affected by the height of the jump?

Yes, the velocity of a jump on Mars is affected by the height of the jump. This is because the higher the jump, the longer the object is in the air, and the more time gravity has to act on it. This results in a higher velocity upon landing compared to a lower jump.

5. Can the velocity of a jump on Mars be different from Earth under certain conditions?

Yes, the velocity of a jump on Mars can be different from Earth under certain conditions. For example, if the surface of Mars is uneven or has different levels of gravity, the velocity of a jump may vary. Additionally, factors such as air resistance, atmospheric pressure, and the strength of the gravitational pull can also affect the velocity of a jump on Mars.