A positively charged wire bent into a semi-circle

In summary, we can determine the relationship between λo, R, and Q by using the equations Q = ∫ λ ds and F = qE. In order to integrate with respect to θ, we must express ds in terms of dθ, which can be done using the equation s = rθ. This yields the integral Q = ∫(from θ=-π/2 to π/2) λcos(θ) ds = 2λr, which can then be simplified to Q = 2λr. Therefore, the relationship between λo, R, and Q is Q = 2λr.
Callix

Homework Statement

A positively charged wire is bent into a semicircle of radius R, as shown in the figure below.
The total charge on the semicircle is Q . However, the charge per unit length along the semicircle is non-uniform and given by λ=λocos(θ)

Physics_2.png

What is the relationship between λo, R and Q?

Homework Equations

Q = ∫ λ ds
F = qE

The Attempt at a Solution

Q = ∫ λ ds = ∫(from θ=0 to π) λocos(θ) dθ.
However, this yields evaluating the sin function from 0 to π which is just 0. I'm having a hard time believing that there is no relationship between λ, R, and Q. I was wondering if someone would be able to check my work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
It completely depends on where ##\theta = 0## is on the semicircle. Obviously, if it's on one end, Q = 0 because for a quarter of a circle the charge is the negative of the other. But, from your drawing, it seems you should actually use ##-\pi/2,\pi/2## as boundaries, which changes everything (the charge has the same sign throughout).

[Deleted]

Callix said:

Homework Statement

A positively charged wire is bent into a semicircle of radius R, as shown in the figure below.
The total charge on the semicircle is Q . However, the charge per unit length along the semicircle is non-uniform and given by λ=λocos(θ)

Physics_2.png

What is the relationship between λo, R and Q?

Homework Equations

Q = ∫ λ ds
F = qE

The Attempt at a Solution

Q = ∫ λ ds = ∫(from θ=0 to π) λocos(θ) dθ.
However, this yields evaluating the sin function from 0 to π which is just 0. I'm having a hard time believing that there is no relationship between λ, R, and Q. I was wondering if someone would be able to check my work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)
Look at θ as it is shown in the figure.

It looks like θ goes from -π/2 to π/2 .

SammyS said:
Look at θ as it is shown in the figure.

It looks like θ goes from -π/2 to π/2 .

I'm confused as to why θ goes from -π/2 to π/2

Callix said:
I'm confused as to why θ goes from -π/2 to π/2
According to the figure, Θ is measured from the y-axis (not the x-axis).

Likes Callix
TSny said:
According to the figure, Θ is measured from the y-axis (not the x-axis).

Oh, I understand what you're saying now!
So now that I have the proper limits

Q = ∫(from θ=-π/2 to π/2) λcos(θ) ds = 2λs = 2λr.
Is this now correct?

Why did you set s = r in the final step?

Because I'm running off of 2 hours of sleep and making stupid mistakes like thinking that s is the distance when its not.

So after I have the integral,

∫(from θ=-π/2 to π/2) λcos(θ) ds

How can I implement R?

Can I express it as the double integral: ∫∫ λcos(θ) r dr dθ?

Callix said:
Because I'm running off of 2 hours of sleep and making stupid mistakes like thinking that s is the distance when its not.

So after I have the integral,

∫(from θ=-π/2 to π/2) λcos(θ) ds

How can I implement R?
You need to express ds in terms of dθ in order to carry out the integration. (Yikes, only 2 hours of sleep? I feel for you.)

TSny said:
You need to express ds in terms of dθ in order to carry out the integration. (Yikes, only 2 hours of sleep? I feel for you.)

Callix said:
Can I express it as the double integral: ∫∫ λcos(θ) r dr dθ?

But I think that's wrong because wouldn't that cover the whole circle as opposed to just the wire?

Your setup of the single integral is fine. You do not want a double integral.

In the single integral you are integrating the function cosΘ where Θ is the variable. If you want to integrate with respect to θ, you need to express ds in terms of dθ.

Recall that if θ is measured in radians, then arc length on a circle of radius r is s = rθ.

Likes Callix
I just remembered the equation for arc length right when you posted that haha

Which means that ds/dθ = r θ → ds = r θ dθ

Callix said:
I just remembered the equation for arc length right when you posted that haha

Which means that ds/dθ = r → ds = r θ dθ
No. You did not solve for ds correctly.

Deleted

TSny said:
No. You did not solve for ds correctly.

s=rθ
ds=rdθ

Callix said:
s=rθ
ds=rdθ
Yes.

TSny said:
Yes.

I swear I'm not normally this stupid :)
But this makes sense because for every little change in the arc length, there is a change in the angle, while of course R remains constant.
Thank you!

OK, good. Better get some :sleep:

Likes Callix

1. What is a positively charged wire bent into a semi-circle?

A positively charged wire bent into a semi-circle is a physical object that carries a positive charge and has been shaped into a half-circle or arc-like shape.

2. How is a positively charged wire bent into a semi-circle created?

A positively charged wire bent into a semi-circle can be created by using a metal wire and bending it into a half-circle shape. The wire can then be charged with electricity using a power source.

3. What is the purpose of a positively charged wire bent into a semi-circle?

The purpose of a positively charged wire bent into a semi-circle is to create a magnetic field. When a wire is shaped into a semi-circle and charged with electricity, it creates a magnetic field around it.

4. How does a positively charged wire bent into a semi-circle affect other objects?

A positively charged wire bent into a semi-circle can attract or repel other objects that have a charge. This is due to the magnetic field it creates, which can interact with the charges of other objects.

5. Can a positively charged wire bent into a semi-circle be used for practical applications?

Yes, a positively charged wire bent into a semi-circle can be used for various practical applications. It is commonly used in devices such as electric motors, generators, and speakers, which utilize the magnetic field created by the wire to produce motion or sound.