Semi-circle linear charge Electric Field

In summary, a semi-circle of radius R with a charge Q uniformly distributed over its length and a line charge density λ, the electric field E at the origin can be calculated using the equation E = (1/2πε_0)(λ/R) in the +y direction. The linear charge density in this problem is equal to Q/(πR) and the final answer is E = (1/2πε_0)(Q/πR^2).
RJLiberator
Gold Member

Homework Statement

A semi-circle of radius R has a charge Q uniformly distributed over its length, which provides a line charge density λ. Determine E at the origin.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/105239

I can tell by argument of symmetry that the Electric field will be pointing in +y direction.

If we take a sliver of the charge, call it dq, we will calculate the Electric field.

[tex] E = \left(\frac{1}{4πε_0}\right)\left(\frac{dq}{R^2}\right)sin(θ) [/tex]

Also: [tex] \left(\frac{dq}{dθ}\right) = \left(\frac{Q}{π}\right) [/tex]

so: [tex] dq = \left(\frac{Qdθ}{π}\right) [/tex]

Now:

[tex] E = \left(\frac{1}{4πε_0}\right)\left(\frac{Qsin(θ)}{πR^2}\right)dθ [/tex]

After calculating the integral from θ = 0 to θ = π I get the following answer:[tex] E = \left(\frac{1}{2πε_0}\right)\left(\frac{Q}{πR^2}\right)\hat{y} [/tex]

Does this work appear to be correct? I want to make sure I get this easy material down before I go to the more difficult material in electromagnetism. If so, is it fair to say that the linear charge density typically symbolized as λ is equal to Q/π in this problem. Q is the charge in coulombs and pi is the length of the semicircle. So I could represent my answer as:

[tex] E = \left(\frac{1}{2πε_0}\right)\left(\frac{λ}{R^2}\right)\hat{y} [/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
RJLiberator said:
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/105239/
I cannot open the file.
RJLiberator said:
Does this work appear to be correct?
Regardless of the missing picture, your final answer is correct.
RJLiberator said:
is it fair to say that the linear charge density typically symbolized as λ is equal to Q/π in this problem.
No, that cannot be a linear charge density since its dimension is the same as that of the charge. Note that the circumference of a semicircle must contain its radius.

Last edited by a moderator:
RJLiberator said:

Homework Statement

A semi-circle of radius R has a charge Q uniformly distributed over its length, which provides a line charge density λ. Determine E at the origin.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/105239

I can tell by argument of symmetry that the Electric field will be pointing in +y direction.

If we take a sliver of the charge, call it dq, we will calculate the Electric field.

[tex] E = \left(\frac{1}{4πε_0}\right)\left(\frac{dq}{R^2}\right)sin(θ) [/tex]

Also: [tex] \left(\frac{dq}{dθ}\right) = \left(\frac{Q}{π}\right) [/tex]

so: [tex] dq = \left(\frac{Qdθ}{π}\right) [/tex]

Now:

[tex] E = \left(\frac{1}{4πε_0}\right)\left(\frac{Qsin(θ)}{πR^2}\right)dθ [/tex]

After calculating the integral from θ = 0 to θ = π I get the following answer:[tex] E = \left(\frac{1}{2πε_0}\right)\left(\frac{Q}{πR^2}\right)\hat{y} [/tex]

Does this work appear to be correct? I want to make sure I get this easy material down before I go to the more difficult material in electromagnetism. If so, is it fair to say that the linear charge density typically symbolized as λ is equal to Q/π in this problem. Q is the charge in coulombs and pi is the length of the semicircle. So I could represent my answer as:

[tex] E = \left(\frac{1}{2πε_0}\right)\left(\frac{λ}{R^2}\right)\hat{y} [/tex]
The radius is not 1, is it?

The charge is spread over the semicircle. What is 1/2 the circumference of a circle of radius, R ?

Also, missing from the problem statement is the location and orientation of the semi-circle. (I could not access the image.)

Screen Shot 2016-08-29 at 6.55.37 AM.png

Hey guys,

Sorry about the image not showing -- it was an accidental double post.

I see your point on the radius. I watched a video on this problem and did not take into consideration that the radius of that video = 1, while my radius = R. So the Linear charge density would be Q/(pi*R), is this now correct?

Due to this fact, I will have to change my answer slightly to:

[tex]E = \left(\frac{1}{2πε_0}\right)\left(\frac{Q}{πR^3}\right)\hat{y}[/tex]

RJLiberator said:
So the Linear charge density would be Q/(pi*R), is this now correct?
It's now correct.
RJLiberator said:
Due to this fact, I will have to change my answer slightly to:

E=(12πε0)(QπR3)^yE=(12πε0)(QπR3)y^​
Why would there be an extra ##R##? Your previous answer (2nd equation from the last in post#1) is already correct.

Likes RJLiberator and SammyS
If linear charge density
[tex] λ = \left(\frac{Q}{πR}\right) [/tex]

Then the final answer :

[tex]E = \left(\frac{1}{2πε_0}\right)\left(\frac{Q}{πR^2}\right)\hat{y} [/tex]

which is:
[tex]E = \left(\frac{1}{2πε_0}\right)\left(\frac{λ}{R}\right)\hat{y} [/tex]

Thank you for the help.

Related to Semi-circle linear charge Electric Field

What is a semi-circle linear charge?

A semi-circle linear charge refers to a distribution of electric charge in the shape of a half-circle. This distribution is assumed to be infinitely long and thin, with the charge uniformly distributed along the arc of the semi-circle.

What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical quantity that describes the influence that a charged particle exerts on other charged particles in its vicinity. It is a vector field, meaning it has both magnitude and direction, and is typically represented by electric field lines.

How is the electric field calculated for a semi-circle linear charge?

The electric field at any point in space due to a semi-circle linear charge can be calculated using the formula E = k * λ * (θ - sinθ), where k is the Coulomb's constant, λ is the linear charge density, and θ is the angle between the point and the center of the semi-circle.

What is the direction of the electric field for a semi-circle linear charge?

The direction of the electric field at any point due to a semi-circle linear charge is tangential to the electric field lines at that point, pointing away from the positively charged side of the semi-circle and towards the negatively charged side.

How does the electric field vary along the semi-circle linear charge?

The electric field along a semi-circle linear charge is not uniform, but rather varies with the distance from the center of the semi-circle. The electric field is strongest at the ends of the semi-circle and decreases in magnitude towards the center.