A pair of perpendicular vectors

In summary, the magnitude of the resultant of two perpendicular vectors of magnitudes 482.5 N and 48.5 N is 682.358 N. The second question asks for the magnitude of the resultant of two vectors of magnitudes 24 N and 31.1 N acting at right angles to each other, which is 39.2837 N.
ArcherofScience
A pair of perpendicular vectors...

Homework Statement

This thread contains 2 questions that are similar.

A pair of 482.5 N vectors are perpendicular.
What is the magnitude of their resultant?
Answer in units of N

Two vectors of magnitudes 24 N and 31.1 N
act at right angles to each other.
Answer in units of N

Homework Equations

for the first one, what do u exactly do? just find the resultant and that's it? is their a magnitude sign such as north of east or something? do i have to find theta?

for the second one, what does it mean it acts of right angles ot each other? is it just the resultant or what?

The Attempt at a Solution

1st: 482.5 ^2 + 48.5^2= r^2
232806.25 + 232806.25 = r^2
√465612.50=r^2
r= 682.358 <----does it need a positive or negative sign?2nd: 24^2 + 31.1^2 = r^2
576 + 967.21 = r^2
√1543.21= r^2
r= 39.3219 <--- did I even solve this right? :confused::cry:

Physics news on Phys.org

ArcherofScience said:

Homework Statement

This thread contains 2 questions that are similar.

A pair of 482.5 N vectors are perpendicular.
Answer in units of N

Two vectors of magnitudes 24 N and 31.1 N
act at right angles to each other.
Answer in units of N

Homework Equations

for the first one, what do u exactly do? just find the resultant and that's it? is their a magnitude sign such as north of east or something? do i have to find theta?

for the second one, what does it mean it acts of right angles ot each other? is it just the resultant or what?

The Attempt at a Solution

1st: 482.5 ^2 + 48.5^2= r^2
232806.25 + 232806.25 = r^2
√465612.50=r^2
r= 682.358 <----does it need a positive or negative sign?

2nd: 24^2 + 31.1^2 = r^2
576 + 967.21 = r^2
√1543.21= r^2
r= 39.3219 <--- did I even solve this right? :confused::cry:

"acting at right angles" or "perpendicular" mean the same thing. And it means you can apply the pythagorean theorem, just like you did. And again, the word "magnitude" means you don't have to worry about signs. I get a slightly different number from you on the second one. Did you punch a calculator key wrong? And don't forget to specify units in your answer.

oh yeah i just realized my mistake, its 39.2837 i believe. but thanks for your help :redface:! i understand it i believe a bit more, just the way it was worded had me a bit pressured.

ArcherofScience said:
oh yeah i just realized my mistake, its 39.2837 i believe. but thanks for your help! i understand it i believe a bit more, just the way it was worded had me a bit pressured.

You are maybe worrying a bit more than you need to. And yes, I get 39.2837N. Don't forget the units!

I would like to clarify a few things about perpendicular vectors and their resultant.

First, let's define what perpendicular vectors are. Perpendicular vectors are two vectors that intersect at a right angle, or 90 degrees. This means that the direction of one vector is perpendicular to the direction of the other vector.

Now, let's discuss the resultant of perpendicular vectors. The resultant of two perpendicular vectors is a vector that is formed by adding the two vectors together. This resultant vector is also perpendicular to both of the original vectors.

In order to find the magnitude of the resultant, you can use the Pythagorean theorem, as you have done in your attempts. However, the magnitude of the resultant does not need a positive or negative sign, as it only represents the size of the vector, not its direction. The direction of the resultant can be found by using trigonometric functions and the angle between the two original vectors.

In the first question, you have correctly found the magnitude of the resultant vector. In the second question, you need to use the Pythagorean theorem again to find the magnitude of the resultant vector. Remember, the resultant vector is formed by adding the two original vectors together, so you need to use the magnitudes of both vectors in your calculation.

I hope this helps clarify the concept of perpendicular vectors and their resultant. Remember, as a scientist, it is important to fully understand the concepts and principles behind the calculations, rather than just blindly solving equations.

Related to A pair of perpendicular vectors

1. What is the definition of a pair of perpendicular vectors?

A pair of perpendicular vectors are two vectors that intersect at a right angle, or 90 degrees. This means that the dot product of the two vectors is equal to 0.

2. How can you determine if two vectors are perpendicular?

To determine if two vectors are perpendicular, you can calculate their dot product. If the dot product is equal to 0, then the vectors are perpendicular.

3. Can any two vectors be perpendicular?

No, not all pairs of vectors can be perpendicular. For two vectors to be perpendicular, their dot product must be equal to 0. If the dot product is not 0, then the vectors are not perpendicular.

4. How are perpendicular vectors used in physics and engineering?

Perpendicular vectors are often used in physics and engineering to represent forces acting on an object. For example, in mechanics, the normal force and weight of an object are often represented by perpendicular vectors.

5. What is the geometric representation of perpendicular vectors?

The geometric representation of perpendicular vectors is two lines that intersect at a right angle, or 90 degrees. This can also be represented by a right triangle, with the two vectors being the sides adjacent to the right angle.