What is the Angle Between Perpendicular Vectors?

• Thread starter Indranil
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Angle
In summary, the resultant perpendicular to two vectors is the vector that is created when the two vectors are at right angles to each other.
Indranil
Member has been warned for showing no own effort.

Homework Statement

The resultant R of vectors P and Q is perpendicular to P and R=P both, then the angle between P and Q is what?
Now, what is the concept behind it? Could you provide me with an image of the resultant perpendicular to two vectors so that I can understand the concept and start solving the problem?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by "is perpendicular to P and R=P both"? I don't know how to parse that.

stevendaryl said:
What do you mean by "is perpendicular to P and R=P both"? I don't know how to parse that.
nither I understand what it means. The question says like this.

Perhaps it means "R is perpendicular to P and |R| = |P|". Or perhaps "R is perpendicular to P and R = P". Or whatever notation. That is, the vector R is at right angles to the vector P, and the length of R equals the length of P.

Indranil said:

Homework Statement

The resultant R of vectors P and Q is perpendicular to P and R=P both, then the angle between P and Q is what?
Now, what is the concept behind it? Could you provide me with an image of the resultant perpendicular to two vectors so that I can understand the concept and start solving the problem?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I agree with stevendaryl, the question is not easy to understand formulated like this, but here is my guess:

The resultant vector ##\vec{R}## is the sum of the two vectors ##\vec P ## and ##\vec Q ##. You know the direction and the length of ##\vec P ##, where the latter is identical with the length of ##\vec R ##. Therefore you know the lengths of two vectors and their angle with respect to each other. By drawing this constellation, there is only one possibility for ##\vec Q ## to fit between them. Try to draw it, show your attempt and it's easier to help you.

Likes stevendaryl
Please report to the mentors those cases, in which the OP doesn't show any effort to tackle his problem, instead of answering it. If you think it is a general problem of understanding rather than a homework problem, then please also report it, such that we can move it to a technical forum.

@Indranil : If you're in doubt what to do, you can always ask in advance for guidance by a mentor, or report your own post to be evaluated.

Thanks for your understanding.

Related to What is the Angle Between Perpendicular Vectors?

What is the definition of "The angle between P and Q"?

The angle between P and Q is the measure of the amount of rotation needed to bring vector P to coincide with vector Q.

How do you calculate the angle between two vectors?

The angle between two vectors can be calculated using the dot product formula: θ = cos⁻¹((P · Q) / (|P| * |Q|)), where P and Q are the two vectors and |P| and |Q| are their magnitudes.

What is the range of possible values for the angle between P and Q?

The angle between P and Q can have values between 0° and 180°, or between 0 and π radians.

Can the angle between P and Q be negative?

No, the angle between P and Q is always positive. If the two vectors are in opposite directions, the angle is considered to be 180° or π radians.

How does the angle between P and Q relate to the direction of rotation?

If the angle between P and Q is positive, the rotation is counterclockwise. If it is negative, the rotation is clockwise. This can also be determined by the right-hand rule, where P is the direction of the thumb and Q is the direction of the fingers.