A more general Bessel equation?

In summary: Thank you!In summary, the general Bessel ODE referenced by the professor is known as the modified Bessel equation and has a solution in terms of the modified and unmodified Bessel functions of the first and second kinds. The solution can be written as y(x) = c_1 I_{\nu}(x) + c_2 K_{\nu}(x), where \nu is related to the parameters a, b, q, and s in the equation.
ZumaBird
In the solution to a recent problem set, my prof referenced a "general Bessel ODE" which he gave in the form:

[tex]x^{2}\frac{d^{2}y}{dx^{2}}+x\left(a+2bx^{q}\right)\frac{dy}{dx}+\left[c+dx^{2s}-b\left(1-a-q\right)x^{q}+b^{2}x^{2q}\right]y=0[/tex]

The only format of the Bessel ODE that appears in the coursenotes is:

[tex]x^{2}\frac{d^{2}y}{dx^{2}}+x\frac{dy}{dx}+\left(x^{2}-b^{2}\right)y=0[/tex]

Does anybody recognize the first form and know the general solution in terms of the modified and unmodified Bessel functions of the first and second kinds?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Yes, I am familiar with the general Bessel ODE that your professor referenced. This form is known as the modified Bessel equation and can be written as:

x^{2}\frac{d^{2}y}{dx^{2}}+x\left(a+2bx^{q}\right)\frac{dy}{dx}+\left[c+dx^{2s}-b\left(1-a-q\right)x^{q}+b^{2}x^{2q}\right]y=0

In terms of the modified and unmodified Bessel functions of the first and second kinds, the general solution can be written as:

y(x) = c_1 I_{\nu}(x) + c_2 K_{\nu}(x)

where c_1 and c_2 are constants and I_{\nu}(x) and K_{\nu}(x) are the modified and unmodified Bessel functions of the first and second kinds, respectively. The parameter \nu is related to the parameters a, b, q, and s in the equation.

I hope this helps clarify the form and solution of the general Bessel ODE that your professor referenced. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Related to A more general Bessel equation?

1. What is a Bessel equation?

A Bessel equation is a second-order linear differential equation that appears in many areas of physics and engineering, particularly in problems involving circular or cylindrical symmetry. It is named after the German mathematician Friedrich Bessel.

2. What is the general form of a Bessel equation?

The general form of a Bessel equation is: x^2y'' + xy' + (x^2 - v^2)y = 0, where v is a constant known as the order of the Bessel function. This form can be used to solve for various types of Bessel equations, including the more general form.

3. What is the difference between the standard and more general Bessel equation?

The standard Bessel equation has a fixed value for the order v, while the more general Bessel equation allows for the order v to vary. This means that the more general form can be used to solve a wider range of problems, as it can account for different values of v.

4. How is the solution to a Bessel equation typically expressed?

The solution to a Bessel equation is typically expressed in terms of Bessel functions, which are special mathematical functions that satisfy the Bessel equation. The specific form of the Bessel function depends on the order v and can be written as either a series or an integral.

5. What are some applications of the more general Bessel equation?

The more general Bessel equation has numerous applications in physics and engineering, including in problems involving heat transfer, electromagnetic waves, and fluid dynamics. It is also used in fields such as signal processing, image processing, and quantum mechanics.