A Momentum-collision problem two dimensions (HELP)

In summary, a clay ball with a mass of 6.20 kg is thrown at a brick wall with a velocity of 22.0 m/s. The wall exerts a force of 2660 N for 0.110 s, causing the ball to shatter into three pieces. One piece, with a mass of 2.20 kg, travels backward at a velocity of 10.5 m/s and an angle of 32.0° above the horizontal. Another piece, with a mass of 1.20 kg, travels at a velocity of 8.80 m/s and an angle of 28.0° below the horizontal. Using the equations P1i + P2i = P1f
gingerbread

Homework Statement

An m = 6.20-kg clay ball is thrown directly against a perpendicular brick wall at a velocity of 22.0 m/s and shatters into three pieces, which all fly backward, as shown in the figure. The wall exerts a force on the ball of 2660 N for 0.110 s. One piece of mass m1 = 2.20 kg travels backward at a velocity of 10.5 m/s and an angle of = 32.0° above the horizontal. A second piece of mass m2 = 1.20 kg travels at a velocity of 8.80 m/s and an angle of 28.0° below the horizontal.
a) What is the velocity of the third piece?
b) What is the direction of the third piece?

Homework Equations

P1i + P2i = P1f + P2f
I=Ft

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Related to A Momentum-collision problem two dimensions (HELP)

1. What is a momentum-collision problem in two dimensions?

A momentum-collision problem in two dimensions is a physics problem that involves the conservation of momentum in an object or system in a two-dimensional space. It typically involves two or more objects colliding or interacting with each other, and the goal is to determine the velocity or direction of the objects after the collision.

2. How do you solve a momentum-collision problem in two dimensions?

To solve a momentum-collision problem in two dimensions, you will need to apply the law of conservation of momentum, which states that the total momentum before a collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. You will also need to use vector addition and trigonometry to break down the velocities and directions of the objects involved in the collision.

3. What are the key principles of momentum in a two-dimensional collision?

The key principles of momentum in a two-dimensional collision include the conservation of momentum, which states that the total momentum of a system remains constant before and after a collision, and the principle of superposition, which states that the total momentum of a system is the vector sum of the momenta of its individual parts.

4. What are some real-life examples of momentum-collision problems in two dimensions?

Some real-life examples of momentum-collision problems in two dimensions include a game of billiards, where the balls collide with each other and the walls of the table, and a car crash, where the momentum of the moving cars is transferred during the collision.

5. What are some common mistakes when solving a momentum-collision problem in two dimensions?

Some common mistakes when solving a momentum-collision problem in two dimensions include not properly defining the direction and magnitude of the objects' velocities, not considering the principle of superposition, and not accounting for external forces such as friction or air resistance. It is also important to double-check all calculations and units to ensure accuracy.