Understanding Elastic Collisions in Two Dimensions

In summary, the conversation discussed an elastic collision between a white and black billiard ball. The white ball, initially moving at a speed of 3.32 m/s to the right, collides elastically with the black ball, which is initially at rest. After the collision, the white ball moves at an angle of 28 degrees above the horizontal, while the black ball moves at an angle of 62 degrees below the horizontal. The final velocity of the white ball was calculated using the center of mass reference frame, taking into account the glancing nature of the collision.
cp255
A white billiard ball with mass mw = 1.41 kg is moving directly to the right with a speed of v = 3.32 m/s and collides elastically with a black billiard ball with the same mass mb = 1.41 kg that is initially at rest. The two collide elastically and the white ball ends up moving at an angle above the horizontal of θw = 28° and the black ball ends up moving at an angle below the horizontal of θb = 62°.

What is the final speed of the white ball?

So the way we learned to solve elastic collisions is to use the center of mass reference frame. I calculated that the COM is moving at v=1.66 m/s relative to the lab frame. Next I calculated the velocity of the white ball to be +1.66 m/s relative to the COM frame and the black ball to have velocity of -1.66 m/s relative to the COM.

I know that after the elastic collision the velocities relative to the COM just switch signs so therefore the velocity of the white ball should be moving away from the COM at 1.66 m/s at an angle of 28 degrees with a negative x component. To calculate the x and y components relative to the COM I did x = -1.66cos(28) and y = 1.66sin(28). Then when I convert it back into the lab frame I get x_lab = -1.66cos(28) + 1.66 and y_lab = 1.66sin(28) + 0. Finally I use the Pythagorean theorem to find the final velocity and its wrong.

I have been trying this problem all day and I can't figure out what is wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello cp255. Welcome to PF!
cp255 said:
I know that after the elastic collision the velocities relative to the COM just switch signs so therefore the velocity of the white ball should be moving away from the COM at 1.66 m/s at an angle of 28 degrees with a negative x component.

If the collision were "head-on" then the velocities would just reverse direction in the COM frame. But, you have a glancing collision. If the angle for the final velocity for the white ball is 28 degrees in the lab frame, it will not be 28 degrees in the COM frame. Construct a vector addition diagram showing how the final velocity of the white ball in the lab frame is related to the final velocity in the COM frame.

Related to Understanding Elastic Collisions in Two Dimensions

1. What is a 2D elastic collision?

A 2D elastic collision is a type of collision between two objects that occurs in a two-dimensional space. In this type of collision, both the momentum and kinetic energy of the two objects are conserved.

2. How do you calculate the velocities of objects after a 2D elastic collision?

The velocities of objects after a 2D elastic collision can be calculated using the conservation of momentum and kinetic energy equations. These equations take into account the masses and velocities of the objects before and after the collision.

3. What is the difference between a 2D elastic collision and an inelastic collision?

A 2D elastic collision is a type of collision where both the momentum and kinetic energy of the objects are conserved. In contrast, an inelastic collision is a type of collision where the kinetic energy is not conserved, meaning that some energy is lost in the collision.

4. Can a 2D elastic collision occur in real life?

Yes, a 2D elastic collision can occur in real life. However, in most cases, there will be some energy lost due to factors such as friction and air resistance. This means that in real life, a 2D elastic collision is not always perfectly elastic.

5. What are some real-life applications of 2D elastic collisions?

2D elastic collisions are commonly seen in sports, such as billiards and pool. They are also used in engineering and physics experiments to study the conservation of momentum and energy in collisions.