A middle-aged salaryman wishing to do Physics Ph.D. after retirement

• Thread starter Jim Lai
  • Start date
In summary, a middle-aged salaryman is interested in pursuing a Physics Ph.D. after retirement. Despite having a successful career in the business world, he has always had a passion for physics and regrets not pursuing it earlier in life. With retirement approaching, he sees this as an opportunity to finally fulfill his dream and contribute to the field of physics. He understands that it will be a challenging journey, but he is determined to overcome any obstacles and make his mark in the scientific community.
Jim Lai
How did you find PF?
Goggle search
My math sucked in high school so I chose not to do physics in college. Did Economics instead. I had kept reading popular books but felt deeply unsatisfied.

The only good thing coming out of COVID is the abundance of online material on advanced physics supplied by prominent physicists. So I think it was time I should start to self-study physics seriously.

My current reading list:
Weinberg, Gravitation and Cosmology (now in Chapter 3)
Peter Woit, Quantum Theory, Groups, and Representations (now in Chapter 10)
Weinberg, The Quantum Theory of Fields, Volume 1 (now in Chapter 2)
Michel Talagrand, What is a Quantum Field Theory? (now in Chapter 3)

Last edited:
Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
:welcome:

Likes Jim Lai
It seems to me your are trying to read some advanced physics stuff for someone that doesn't have good mathematical background. I think the third book by Weinberg requires pretty advanced math.