A differential equation question

In summary, the conversation discusses how to verify that a given function is a solution to the differential equation y'' - 2y' + 2y = 0, y=e^x(Acos x + Bsin x). Different methods are suggested, including taking derivatives and solving the DE directly, as well as using a change of variable to make the problem easier. The final method is considered the most efficient and exciting, as it reduces the problem to a simple algebraic equation.
mech-eng
Verify that given function is a solution.
y'' - 2y' + 2y = 0 , y=e^x(Acos x + Bsin x)

First I take derivative of y which is y+e^x(-Asin x + B cos x) then I asign e^x(-Asin x + B cos x) to y'-y. Then I take derivative of y' which is y'+(y'-y)-y which equals 2y'-2y=y'' then I use y'' as 2y'-2y which satifies. Do you have a faster or more exciting way?

Have a nice day.

Physics news on Phys.org
Just solve the DE. Let y = emx. Plug into the DE and get the condition m2 -2m + 2 = 0, which has solutions m = 1 ± i.

Thus the DE has solutions y = a e(1 + i)x + b e(1 - i)x = ex(a eix + b e-ix), which by Euler's formula can be reduced to the form you give.

That equation begs for the change of variable y=e^x u
y'=e^x(u'+u)
y''=e^x(u''+2u'+u)
so
y'' - 2y' + 2y = 0 , y=e^x(Acos x + Bsin x)
becomes
u''+u=0 , u=Acos x + Bsin x

The method I gave works for any linear homogeneous DE with constant coefficients, reducing it to an algebraic equation. And in this case all that remains to do is solve a quadratic.

lurflurf said:
That equation begs for the change of variable y=e^x u
Would you have been able to guess this change of variable if you did not already have the solution to look at?

The question doesn't ask the OP to solve the equation. It asks to verify the given function is a solution.

Of course this is a very easy ODE to solve if you know how to solve it, but the question might not even be from a differential equations course. It might just be an exercise in differentiation.

Bill_K said:
The method I gave works for any linear homogeneous DE with constant coefficients, reducing it to an algebraic equation. And in this case all that remains to do is solve a quadratic.
Not sure what you are getting at. Solving polynomials (other than quadratics) is not easy.
Bill_K said:
Would you have been able to guess this change of variable if you did not already have the solution to look at?
Sure
m2 -2m + 2=(m-1)2+1

Last edited:

Related to A differential equation question

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes how a quantity changes over time. It relates the rate of change of a variable to the values of other variables.

2. What is the difference between an ordinary and a partial differential equation?

An ordinary differential equation involves only one independent variable, while a partial differential equation involves multiple independent variables. In other words, an ordinary differential equation describes how a single variable changes over time, while a partial differential equation describes how multiple variables change in relation to each other.

3. What are some real-world applications of differential equations?

Differential equations are used in many fields of science and engineering to model and predict how various systems change over time. Some common applications include fluid dynamics, population growth, electrical circuits, and chemical reactions.

4. What are the steps for solving a differential equation?

The steps for solving a differential equation depend on the type of equation and its complexity. Generally, the process involves identifying the type of differential equation, finding its general solution, and then applying any initial or boundary conditions to find a specific solution.

5. How are differential equations used in mathematics?

Differential equations are an important tool in mathematics for modeling and analyzing changes in various systems. They are also used to solve optimization problems and to find the maximum or minimum value of a function.