A diff. eq. or trigonometry related problem?

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of solving the equation y' = 2y/x + x cos (y/x^2), with y=z*x^2 by integrating both sides and using the substitution u=sin z to find a rational integral that can be solved for z. The conversation also addresses a minor error in the solution and suggests using a different technique to avoid getting sec z + tan z.
parsifal
y' = 2y/x + x cos (y/x^2), with y=z*x^2
=> y' = 2zx + x cos z

and y=z*x^2 => y' = 2zx + x^2 * dz/dx

So that leaves x^2 * dz/dx = x cos z => dz/cos z = dx/x

I integrate both sides so that:

sec z + tan z = x + C

But I don't have a clue on how to get past that point. Should I start from the beginning with another technique to avoid getting sec z + tan z?

Physics news on Phys.org
What exactly is the problem? What are you trying to do?

I'm trying to solve y, so I have to solve z in terms of x first and then substitute it in the equation y=z*x^2.

You skipped over ln parts and have a minor error: the right side should be, after taking exponentials of both sides, Cx, not x+ C.

Also, rather than using the "Table" formula
[tex]\int sec z dz= ln|sec z+ tan z|+ C[/itex]
I did it as
[tex]\int \frac{dz}{cos z}= \int \frac{cos z dz}{cos^2 z}= \int \frac{cos z dz}{1- sin^2 z}[/tex]
Now the substitution u= sin z gives a rational integral that can be integrated by partial fractions. The result is, of course, similar to the above but in terms of sin z only and so easier to solve for z.

Ok, I think I can carry on from that.

Thank you!

Related to A diff. eq. or trigonometry related problem?

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates a function to its derivatives. It is used to describe the relationship between a variable and its rate of change.

2. How is a differential equation solved?

There are various methods for solving a differential equation, including separation of variables, substitution, and using integrating factors. The specific method used depends on the type and complexity of the equation.

3. What is the purpose of trigonometry in problem-solving?

Trigonometry is the study of the relationships between angles and sides in triangles. It is used in problem-solving to calculate unknown angles or sides in a triangle, as well as in applications involving periodic phenomena such as waves and oscillations.

4. How can I determine which trigonometric function to use?

The choice of trigonometric function depends on the given information and what is being solved for. For example, if the problem involves the ratio of the sides of a right triangle, you would use sine, cosine, or tangent. If the problem involves the ratio of the sides of an isosceles triangle, you would use secant, cosecant, or cotangent.

5. Can trigonometry be applied to real-world problems?

Yes, trigonometry has a wide range of real-world applications, including navigation, engineering, astronomy, and physics. It is used to solve problems involving angles and distances, as well as to model and analyze periodic behavior in nature and technology.