How Do You Solve Integrals Using Partial Fractions?

In summary: Maybe you could write a bit more about partial fractions, like assuming that the degrees of the polynomials in the numerator and denominator are the same, then you can write the fraction as a polynomial plus a rational function whose degree is lower than the denominator. In general, the denominator can be factored into linear and/or quadratic factors and the numerator should have one degree less than that of the denominator.Also, if we are working with real numbers, the partial fraction expansion will have linear numerators over quadratic denominators and constants over linear denominators. However, if we allow for complex numbers, then we can have linear numerators over linear denominators.Another interesting fact is that if we have a repeated factor in the denominator, say $(x-a
karush
Gold Member
MHB
partial fractions
$$\int\frac{3x^2+x+12}{(x^2+5)(x-3)}
=\frac{A}{(x^2+5)}+\frac{B}{(x-3)}$$
$$3x^2+x+12=A(x-3)+B(x^2+5)$$
x=3 then 27+3+12=14B
3=B
x=0 then
12=-3A+15
1=A
$$\int\frac{1}{(x^2+5)} \, dx
+3\int\frac{1}{(x-3)}\, dx$$ $\displaystyle
\frac{\arctan\left(\frac{x}{\sqrt{5}}\right)}{\sqrt{5}}
+3\ln\left(\left|x-3\right|\right)+C$

maybe? not sure

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
karush said:
partial fractions
$$\int\frac{3x^2+x+12}{(x^2+5)(x-3)}
=\frac{A}{(x^2+5)}+\frac{B}{(x-3)}$$
$$3x^2+x+12=A(x-3)+B(x^2+5)$$
x=3 then 27+3+12=14B
3=B
x=0 then
12=-3A+15
1=A
$$\int\frac{1}{(x^2+5)} \, dx
+3\int\frac{1}{(x-3)}\, dx$$ $\displaystyle
\frac{\arctan\left(\frac{x}{\sqrt{5}}\right)}{\sqrt{5}}
+3\ln\left(\left|x-3\right|\right)+C$

maybe? not sure

Try differentiating your answer to see if you get back to where you started. You should quickly see that it is incorrect.

The degree of each numerator needs to be ONE DEGREE LESS than the degree of the denominator. So that means you need to have $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \frac{A\,s + B}{x^2 + 5} + \frac{C}{x - 3} \end{align*}$ as your partial fraction expansion.

Typo: Prove It meant [tex]\frac{Ax+ B}{x^2+ 5}+ \frac{C}{x- 3}[/tex].

Also, he said "one degree less than the denominator". Actually you can always factor a polynomial into linear or quadratic factors (with real coefficients) so you need linear numerators, (Ax+ B), over quadratic denominators and constants (C) over linear factors.

If we were willing to use complex numbers, we can write any polynomial as linear factors and we could write this is [tex]\frac{A}{x+ 5i}+ \frac{B}{x- 5i}+ \frac{C}{x- 3}[/tex]. Of course we could then go back to real numbers by rationalizing the denominators: [tex]\frac{A}{x+ 5i}\frac{x- 5i}{x- 5i}+ \frac{B}{x- 5i}\frac{x+ 5i}{x+ 5i}= \frac{Ax+ 5iA+ Bx- 5Bi}{x^2+ 5}= \frac{(A+ B)x+ 5i(A- B)}{x^2+ 5}[/tex]. Here, it will turn out that both A+ B is real and A- B is imaginary so that both A+ B and 5i(A- B) are real.

https://dl.orangedox.com/geAQogxCM0ZYQLaUju

a project of a collection of mhb replies (WIP)

Mahalo for comments and suggestions

SSCwt.png

Related to How Do You Solve Integrals Using Partial Fractions?

1. What are partial fractions?

Partial fractions are a method for breaking down a fraction into smaller, simpler fractions. This is useful for solving integration problems in calculus.

2. How do you solve partial fractions?

To solve partial fractions, you must first factor the denominator of the given fraction. Then, you can use the method of equating coefficients to find the unknown constants that make up the partial fractions.

3. What is the purpose of using partial fractions?

The purpose of using partial fractions is to simplify complex fractions and make them easier to integrate. It also allows for the use of simpler integration techniques, such as the power rule.

4. Can you use partial fractions for all fractions?

No, not all fractions can be solved using partial fractions. This method is only applicable to rational functions, which are fractions where both the numerator and denominator are polynomials.

5. What is the difference between partial fractions and regular fractions?

Regular fractions are already in their simplest form, while partial fractions are a way to break down and simplify more complex fractions. Partial fractions are also commonly used in calculus, while regular fractions are used in everyday math problems.