4th order homogeneous linear ODE with constant coefficients

In summary: Finally, if you don't want to spend $32, there are many free sources for research papers online.)In summary, you are asking for help with a maths problem which you are not able to solve yourself, and which is also in violation of the forum rules. Please try to be more patient and polite in future posts, and please refrain from asking for help with copyrighted material.
mappleby15
Can someone explain to to me how to find the general solution of the fourth order ODE

y''''-y''=0

Right now I have

y(x)=a+b*x+c*e^-x+d*e^x

where a,b,c and d are constants.

Not sure if this is correct just wanted to double check.

Physics news on Phys.org
mappleby15 said:
Can someone explain to to me how to find the general solution of the fourth order ODE

y''''-y''=0

Right now I have

y(x)=a+b*x+c*e^-x+d*e^x

where a,b,c and d are constants.

Not sure if this is correct just wanted to double check.

Seems right to me at first glance. Your r values for the aux. eq. are correct and that's about all the problem comes down to since it is set equal to 0 and not a constant or another function which would lead to undetermined coefficients.

Yes, it's correct. Another way you can check is to note that if you set u = y'', you get

u'' - u = 0,

an equation which you pressumably know the solution to. It's then just a matter of integrating twice.

please. anyone can help me to get the general solution of the equation:
EI(X)Ø'''(X)+Km(x)Ø(x)=0
where: k= constant
EI(X) and m(x) are variable coefficients
and i will be very grateful for him...

please. anyone can help me to get the general solution of the equation:
EI(X)Ø'''(X)+Km(x)Ø(x)=0
where: k= constant
EI(X) and m(x) are variable coefficients
and i will be very grateful for him...

my colleages...why i didnot answer about my question?

sorry, why i didnot find any answer about my question??

this may help you. Its something i made for the 1d 4th order wave eqn... i think you will find pg 7 handy.

Attachments

• 1D Wave Equation.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,445
thank you very much Nick Bruno...But the problem is that, how can find the solution of the equation when EI and m are variable with x-axis and not constants...i think that the equation can be solved by separation of variables but the resulted equations will be on the form of ODEs with variable coefficients which i am looking for their solutions, and i will be thankful for anybody can help me in this subject...

looks like you may need to use sturm-liouville and use a computer to solve your problem.

Hi colleages, can anyone help me to get this paper which is entitled;"solution of ordinary linear differential equations with variable coefficients by impulsive admittances". this paper in the quarterly journal of mechanics and applied mathematics, volume 6, no.1, pp.122-127. by W.J. Duncan, 1953...please help me to get this paper and i will be very grateful for this...

Moderator's note: please ask new questions by creating and posting in a new thread, rather than posting in existing threads. New threads can be created by clicking the "New Topic" [PLAIN]https://www.physicsforums.com/Prime/buttons/newthread.gif button.

You can purchase the paper here:
http://qjmam.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/reprint/6/1/122

If you don't want to spend 32 $US, I would look for the journal at the math department library of a local university.

Last edited by a moderator:
my colleage...i havenot the way to buy this paper, because, i havenot the prepay cards...
please, if you can to get this paper,send it to me..

Omarxx84, you are coming awfully close to being banned from this forum.

First, you "hijacked" someone else's thread to ask a completely unrelated question which is very rude. (It's not that hard to click on the "new topic" button on the main menu.)

Second, you are asking people to send you a copy of a copy-righted paper, which is a crime.

Related to 4th order homogeneous linear ODE with constant coefficients

1. What is a 4th order homogeneous linear ODE with constant coefficients?

A 4th order homogeneous linear ODE (ordinary differential equation) with constant coefficients is a type of mathematical equation that involves a function and its derivatives up to the fourth order, where all coefficients are constant.

2. How do you solve a 4th order homogeneous linear ODE with constant coefficients?

To solve a 4th order homogeneous linear ODE with constant coefficients, you can use the method of undetermined coefficients or the method of variation of parameters. Both methods involve finding a particular solution and the general solution of the equation.

3. What are the applications of 4th order homogeneous linear ODE with constant coefficients?

4th order homogeneous linear ODEs with constant coefficients have various applications in engineering, physics, and other fields. They are commonly used in modeling systems with multiple variables and in describing physical phenomena such as oscillations and vibrations.

4. Can a 4th order homogeneous linear ODE have non-constant coefficients?

Yes, a 4th order homogeneous linear ODE can have non-constant coefficients. However, if the coefficients are non-constant, the equation is no longer considered to be "homogeneous" and different solution methods may need to be used.

5. Are there any special techniques for solving 4th order homogeneous linear ODEs with constant coefficients?

Yes, for certain types of equations, such as those with repeated roots or complex roots, there are special techniques that can be used to simplify the solution process. These include the method of reduction of order and the method of complex exponentials, among others.