3rd order, multivariable taylor series

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with a given formula for a third order Taylor series. The solution is to replace all instances of x with (x-a) and y with (y-b).
sandy.bridge

Homework Statement

Hello all, I have been working on a 3rd order taylor series, but the formula I have does not seem to get me the right answer. The formula I was given is for a taylor polynomial about point (a,b) is:
[tex]P_3=f(a,b)
+\left( f_{1}(a,b)x+f_{2}(a,b)y\right) [/tex]
[tex]+\left(\frac1{2}f_{11}(a,b)x^2+f_{12}(a,b)xy +\frac1{2}f_{22}(a,b)y^2\right)[/tex]
[tex]+\left(\frac1{6}f_{111}(a,b)x^3+\frac1{2}f_{112}(a,b)x^2y +\frac1{2}f_{122}(a,b)xy^2+\frac1{6}f_{222}(a,b)y^3\right)[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm thinking the issue here is all x variable need to be replaced with (x-a), and all y variables need to be replaced with y-b. Can someone clarify this?

sandy.bridge said:

Homework Statement

Hello all, I have been working on a 3rd order Taylor series, but the formula I have does not seem to get me the right answer. The formula I was given is for a taylor polynomial about point (a,b) is:
[tex]P_3=f(a,b)
+\left( f_{1}(a,b)x+f_{2}(a,b)y\right) [/tex]
[tex]+\left(\frac1{2}f_{11}(a,b)x^2+f_{12}(a,b)xy +\frac1{2}f_{22}(a,b)y^2\right)[/tex]
[tex]+\left(\frac1{6}f_{111}(a,b)x^3+\frac1{2}f_{112}(a,b)x^2y +\frac1{2}f_{122}(a,b)xy^2+\frac1{6}f_{222}(a,b)y^3\right)[/tex]

Wherever you have x in that formula, replace it with (x-a).

Wherever you have y in that formula, replace it with (y-b).

Thanks a lot!

Related to 3rd order, multivariable taylor series

1. What is a 3rd order, multivariable Taylor series?

A 3rd order, multivariable Taylor series is a mathematical representation of a function using a polynomial of degree 3 and multiple variables. It is used to approximate the behavior of a function near a given point.

2. How is a 3rd order, multivariable Taylor series calculated?

A 3rd order, multivariable Taylor series is calculated by finding the derivatives of the function at a given point and plugging them into the general formula for a Taylor series. The formula is: f(x,y) = f(a,b) + (x - a)fx(a,b) + (y - b)fy(a,b) + (x-a)2fxx(a,b) + (x-a)(y-b)fxy(a,b) + (y-b)2fyy(a,b) + (x-a)3fxxx(a,b) + (x-a)2(y-b)fxxy(a,b) + (x-a)(y-b)2fxyy(a,b) + (y-b)3fyyy(a,b)

3. What is the purpose of using a 3rd order, multivariable Taylor series?

A 3rd order, multivariable Taylor series is used to approximate the behavior of a function near a given point. It can provide an accurate representation of a function, especially if the function is complex and difficult to evaluate directly.

4. How is a 3rd order, multivariable Taylor series different from a regular Taylor series?

A 3rd order, multivariable Taylor series is different from a regular Taylor series in that it takes into account multiple variables, while a regular Taylor series only considers one variable. This allows for a more accurate approximation of the function near a given point.

5. What are some real-world applications of a 3rd order, multivariable Taylor series?

A 3rd order, multivariable Taylor series has many applications in science and engineering. It is commonly used in physics to approximate the motion of objects, in economics to model demand and supply curves, and in engineering to analyze complex systems and design control systems.