3 particles A,B,C of masses m,2m,3m lie at rest in that order on

In summary, the conversation discusses two problems involving particles and strings on a smooth horizontal table and a fixed inclined plane. In the first problem, A, B, and C are at rest with A projected towards C with a speed V. The time before C begins to move is 4a/V and the speed at which C begins to move is V/6. The ratio of impulsive tensions in BC and AB is 3:1. In the second problem, particle P is projected with velocity u upwards along the inclined plane, causing Q to move. The impulsive tension in the string when Q is jerked into motion is 0.5rt(u^2-ga) and the magnitude of u is determined when Q reaches
jiboom
long questions but only need a little help i think:

1) 3 particles A,B,C of masses m,2m,3m lie at rest in that orderon smooth horizontal table.the distance between each particle is a> A slack light inelastic string of length 2a connects A and B and an exactly similar slack string connects BC. A is projected in direction CBA with speed V,find the time whihc elapsesbefore C begins to move. Find the speed that C begins to move. show that the ratio of the impulsive tensions in BC and AB when C is jerked into motion is 3:1

done first 2 parts, answers are 4a/V and V/6

book no help with last part so i had a play and get the following:

let tension between A and B be S tension between B C be T

then F=ma gives

for B: -S+T=2ma
for C: T=3ma

so -S+3ma=2ma giving S=ma

so T/S=3.

anywhere near correct reasoning to get the answer?

2)

a smooth plane is fixed at 30 degrees with its lower edge at a height a above a horizontal table. 2 particles P and Q, each of mass M are connected by a light inetensible string of length 2a,and P is held at the lower edge of the inclined plane while Q rests on the table vertically below P. the particle P is then projected with velocity u upwards along a line of greatest slope of the plane. find the impulsive tension in the string when Q is jerked into motion. determine the magnitude of u if Q just reaches the lower edge of the plane and the tension in the string while Q is moving.

all i can get done on this is to find rt(u^2-ga)as the velocity of P when it has traveled a distance a.

now i guess:

now let velocity after jerk be V1

have for Q: impulse=V1-o
for P impulse =rt(u^2-ga)-V1

so V1=0.5rt(u^2-ga)

now tension is change in momentum of either of the particles so change in momentum of Q is
m[0.5rt(u^2-ga)]-m[0]=m[0.5rt(u^2-ga)]

now that is the correct answer but as in question 1 have i got there in a correct way?
any help with the last parts ? not really got anywhere with them.

Physics news on Phys.org

If you could draw pictures, i could help you, I'm having trouble visualzing this

Related to 3 particles A,B,C of masses m,2m,3m lie at rest in that order on

1. What is the total mass of the system of particles?

The total mass of the system of particles is equal to 6m, since the masses of particles A, B, and C are m, 2m, and 3m respectively.

2. How are the particles arranged in terms of mass?

The particles are arranged in increasing order of mass, with particle A having the lowest mass and particle C having the highest mass.

3. Are the particles moving?

No, the particles are at rest and do not have any velocity or acceleration.

4. What is the distance between particles A and B?

The distance between particles A and B is not specified in the question, so it cannot be determined without additional information.

5. How does the total mass affect the system?

The total mass of the system affects the system's inertia and gravitational force, but since the particles are at rest, there are no other effects on the system.