Motion of connected objects involving a pulley problem

In summary: But the rope is not the system we are analyzing. We can only analyze the forces acting on the system. Once you have figured out the acceleration of the system you can use that and the free body diagrams to find the tension in the rope.
Theodore Hodson

Homework Statement

The diagram shows a particle P lying in contact with a smooth table top 1.5m above the floor. A light inextensible string of length 1m connects P to another particle Q hanging freely over a small smooth pulley at the edge of the table. The mass of each particle is 2 kg, and P is held at a point distant 0.5m from the edge of the table. When the system is released from rest find:

a) the speed of each particle when P reaches the edge of the table
b) the tension in the string

If P slips over the pulley without any change in its speed, find, for the subsequent motion:

c) the acceleration of the system
d) the tension in the string

Give the answers in terms of g.

2PIoxOJZkVzW.jpg

2. Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay so I managed to figure out the first two parts of the problem. Using ##T## for tension and ##a## for acceleration and then setting up these simultaneous equations
##T-2a=0##
##2g-T=2a##

helped me get ##a=\frac{g}{2}## From here, finding the tension and speed was pretty straightforward (i.e rearranging for ##T## and using ##v^2-u^2=2as## for ##s=0.5## to get the speed)

so answer to part a) is ##\frac{\sqrt{g}}{\sqrt{2}}## and part b) is ##g## N.

Parts c) and d) of the problem are puzzling me though. "P slips over the pulley without any change in its speed" - Basically I'm getting confused about what's going on here visually and which bits of information I need to connect together. So is it saying that P is now falling downwards with the same speed as it had when it was at the edge of the table? But then I'm not sure how this can help me find the new tension/acceleration.

Would be very grateful for any hints here.

Physics news on Phys.org
Theodore Hodson said:
So is it saying that P is now falling downwards with the same speed as it had when it was at the edge of the table?

What would happen to P if, at the instant it slid over the pulley, Q somehow disappeared (like maybe the string broke or something like that). Once you see that, then think about the actual situation where Q is present.

No change in speed is not enough information. I would interpret it as no (instantaneous) change in velocity.

Mister T said:
What would happen to P if, at the instant it slid over the pulley, Q somehow disappeared (like maybe the string broke or something like that). Once you see that, then think about the actual situation where Q is present.

If Q somehow disappeared, due to the string breaking, then the string would no longer exert any tension on P. So P would move downwards under the action of its weight alone?? so with an acceleration of g?? I'm not too sure about what's happening where Q is present.

Mister T said:

Okay, am I right in thinking that when P slips over the pulley the string will become slack anyway and hence the tension disappears? Cause going back to the equation for the resultant force acting on Q (##2g-2T=2a##) and plugging in ##T=0## yields an acceleration of g, which is the answer they give in the book. The thing I'm not sure about now is why the question is telling me that P slips over the pulley 'without any change in its speed' and how this piece of information relates to the finding of the acceleration/tension.

Theodore Hodson said:
If Q somehow disappeared, due to the string breaking, then the string would no longer exert any tension on P. So P would move downwards under the action of its weight alone??

Is that the way things move? In the direction of the force?

Think about projectiles, for example. The force is always downward, but they don't always move downwards. That is, the direction of ##\vec{F}_{net}## and the direction of ##\vec{v}## are not necessarily the same.

haruspex said:
No change in speed is not enough information. I would interpret it as no (instantaneous) change in velocity.

How about, the pulley exerts no force?

Mister T said:
How about, the pulley exerts no force?
Sure, but the OP didn't put it that way. I was just trying to correct 'speed' to 'velocity'. Maybe they didn't write velocity because there is acceleration, but there's no sudden change to velocity.

I'm looking at it from a teacher's frame of reference, trying to find a better way it could have been worded.

Mister T said:
I'm looking at it from a teacher's frame of reference, trying to find a better way it could have been worded.
Ok.

Mister T said:
Is that the way things move? In the direction of the force?

Think about projectiles, for example. The force is always downward, but they don't always move downwards. That is, the direction of ##\vec{F}_{net}## and the direction of ##\vec{v}## are not necessarily the same.

Okay I think I understand. The direction of something's velocity does not always equal the direction of the forces acting on it. Though, I'm still kinda unsure about connecting this clue with finding the acceleration of the system/tension in the string. I managed to find the value for the acceleration the book gives as an answer (g m/s^2) by plugging ##T=0## into one of the original equations, but then I've just assumed that the rope goes slack and exerts no tension when P slips over the edge which I'm not sure is right.

Theodore Hodson said:
I managed to find the value for the acceleration the book gives as an answer (g m/s^2) by plugging ##T=0## into one of the original equations, but then I've just assumed that the rope goes slack and exerts no tension when P slips over the edge which I'm not sure is right.
Yes, the acceleration of the two mass system will be g (very simple reason why) but the rope will not be slack.

1. What is a pulley and how does it affect the motion of connected objects?

A pulley is a simple machine that consists of a wheel with a groove around its circumference. It is used to change the direction of a force applied to an object. In the context of motion, a pulley can either increase or decrease the speed of connected objects, depending on the configuration.

2. How do you calculate the tension in a rope or string in a pulley system?

The tension in a rope or string in a pulley system can be calculated using Newton's second law of motion, which states that the sum of the forces acting on an object is equal to the mass of the object multiplied by its acceleration. In a pulley system, the tension in the rope or string is equal to the weight of the object being lifted divided by the number of supporting ropes or strings.

3. What is the relationship between the masses of connected objects in a pulley system?

In a pulley system, the relationship between the masses of connected objects is inversely proportional. This means that as one object's mass increases, the other object's mass decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is due to the conservation of energy, as the total amount of work done on the system remains constant.

4. How does friction affect the motion of connected objects in a pulley system?

Friction can have a significant impact on the motion of connected objects in a pulley system. Friction is a force that opposes motion, and it can cause a decrease in the speed of the objects. In a pulley system, friction can also cause the rope or string to stretch, which can affect the tension in the system and the movement of the objects.

5. Can a pulley system have a mechanical advantage?

Yes, a pulley system can have a mechanical advantage. Mechanical advantage refers to the ratio of output force to input force in a system. In a pulley system, the mechanical advantage is equal to the number of supporting ropes or strings. This means that a pulley system with multiple ropes or strings can reduce the amount of force needed to lift an object, making it more efficient.