2nd Order nonhomogeneous ODE using Undetermined Coefficients

In summary, when trying to find yp1 I get yp1=Ae-3x, y'p1=-3Ae-3x, and y"p1=9Ae-3x. Substituting that into the left side we get 9Ae-3x+6(-3Ae-3x)+9(Ae-3x)=Ae-3x. Canceling out Ae-3x we get 9A-18A+9A=1 and 0A=1. SO does this mean when I'm finding the general solution y=yh+yp1+yp2 that yp1 is going to be 0?
Ramacher

Homework Statement

Find General Solution:
y"+6y'+9y=e-3x-27x2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know you have yh which is the general solution to the left side of the equation set to 0 and then fine the particular solution.

When i try to find yp1 I get yp1=Ae-3x, y'p1=-3Ae-3x, and y"p1=9Ae-3x

Substituting that into the left side we get
9Ae-3x+6(-3Ae-3x)+9(Ae-3x)=Ae-3x
Canceling out Ae-3x we get
9A-18A+9A=1
0A=1

SO does this mean when I'm finding the general solution y=yh+yp1+yp2 that yp1 is going to be 0?

I Know this is a very simple question but my mind is running in circles!

Physics news on Phys.org
roots of the characteristic polynomial are -3 and -2, so your PI for the e-3x is not Ae-3x but Axe-3x, the PI for -27x2 is Bx2+Cx+D, so combining those two, your PI would be

[tex]y_{PI} = Axe^{-3x}(Bx^2+Cx+D)[/tex]

rock.freak667 said:
roots of the characteristic polynomial are -3 and -2

The characteristic polynomial being the left side of the equation?

Isn't it a double root -3? (y+3)2?

rock.freak667 said:
roots of the characteristic polynomial are -3 and -2,
No, -2 is not a root of the characteristic equation. The only root is -3, and this is a double root.
rock.freak667 said:
so your PI for the e-3x is not Ae-3x but Axe-3x, the PI for -27x2 is Bx2+Cx+D, so combining those two, your PI would be

[tex]y_{PI} = Axe^{-3x}(Bx^2+Cx+D)[/tex]

Ramacher said:

oh right it is, I did that wrong in my head...in that case, Axe-3x would be Ax2e-3x

Ramacher said:

Yes.

Your solution to the homogeneous equation is yh = Ae-3x + Bxe-3x.

The particular solution to the nonhomogeneous problem is yp = Cx2e-3x + D + Ex + Fx2.

The general solution is y = yh + yp.

Related to 2nd Order nonhomogeneous ODE using Undetermined Coefficients

1. What is a 2nd order nonhomogeneous ODE?

A 2nd order nonhomogeneous ODE is a second-order ordinary differential equation that includes a non-zero function on the right-hand side of the equation. This non-zero function is known as the forcing function and makes the equation nonhomogeneous.

2. What is the general form of a 2nd order nonhomogeneous ODE?

The general form of a 2nd order nonhomogeneous ODE is y'' + p(x)y' + q(x)y = g(x), where p(x) and q(x) are functions of x, y' represents the first derivative of y with respect to x, and y'' represents the second derivative of y with respect to x. g(x) is the forcing function.

3. What is the process for solving a 2nd order nonhomogeneous ODE using undetermined coefficients?

The process for solving a 2nd order nonhomogeneous ODE using undetermined coefficients involves four steps: 1) finding the complementary solution by assuming y = e^(rx), 2) finding the particular solution by assuming y = ax^n, where a is a constant and n is the degree of the polynomial in the forcing function, 3) combining the complementary and particular solutions to get the general solution, and 4) applying initial or boundary conditions to solve for the unknown constants.

4. When is the method of undetermined coefficients applicable for solving a 2nd order nonhomogeneous ODE?

The method of undetermined coefficients is applicable for solving a 2nd order nonhomogeneous ODE when the forcing function g(x) is a polynomial, exponential, sine or cosine function, or a combination of these functions. It is not applicable if the forcing function is a more complex function such as a logarithm or inverse trigonometric function.

5. What are the limitations of using the method of undetermined coefficients to solve a 2nd order nonhomogeneous ODE?

The method of undetermined coefficients may not always work for all forcing functions. If the forcing function is a more complex function, the method may require modifications or may not work at all. In such cases, other methods such as variation of parameters or Laplace transforms may be used to solve the ODE.