2nd order DEQ, conserved quantity

• Thread starter fusi0n
  • Start date
  • Tags
    2nd order
In summary, the conversation discusses an equation (equation 1) and a conserved quantity (equation 2) involving y'' and y. The task is to show that E is a conserved quantity and to find all solutions for E=0. The attempt at a solution involves solving equation 2 for v and using the chain rule to differentiate E with respect to t. The conversation ends with the acknowledgement that E is indeed conserved.
fusi0n

Homework Statement

Given: y'' - y - (y^3) = 0 (equation 1)

E = (1/2)(v^2) - (1/2)(y^2) - (1/4)(y^4) (equation 2)

v = y'

i. Show that E is a conserved quanitity
ii. Find all the solutions with E = 0

2. The attempt at a solution

I'm not sure how to show a quantity is being conserved. In fact, I have no idea how to begin this problem! Does anybody have some information to help me just get started?

I solved equation 2 for v = (E + y^2 + (1/2)y^4)^(1/2). I realize I can integrate and solve for y(t) but it is really very messy and I don't see how doing so can immediately benefit me.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
"Conserved" (as in conservation of energy and conservation of momentum) means "does not change". I.e. the derivative is 0.

To show that E is a "conserved quantity", differentiate E (with respect to whatever the independent variable is) and use the given differential equation (y"= y+ y3) to show that the derivative is 0.

Question: How do I differentiate E with respect to t when y and v are dependant upon t?

here is my attempt...

E = (1/2)(v^2) - (1/2)(y^2) - (1/4)(y^4) where v = (dy/dt) =>

dE/dt = (dv/dt) - (dy/dt) - (dy/dt) = y'' - 2y'

Last edited:
fusi0n said:
Question: How do I differentiate E with respect to t when y and v are dependant upon t?

Use the chain rule. For example, [tex]\frac{d}{dt}(y^2)=\frac{d}{dy}(y^2)\frac{dy}{dt}[/tex]

thank you everyone; I have proven that E is conserved.

Last edited:

Related to 2nd order DEQ, conserved quantity

1. What is a 2nd order differential equation?

A 2nd order differential equation (DEQ) is a mathematical equation that involves a function and its derivatives up to the second order. It is written in the form of y''(x) + f(x)y'(x) + g(x)y(x) = h(x), where y is the function, y' is the first derivative, and y'' is the second derivative.

2. What is the conserved quantity in a 2nd order DEQ?

In a 2nd order DEQ, the conserved quantity is a quantity that remains constant throughout the solution of the equation. It is often a physical quantity, such as energy or mass, that is conserved in a system.

3. How do you solve a 2nd order DEQ?

To solve a 2nd order DEQ, you can use various methods such as separation of variables, substitution, or the method of undetermined coefficients. The specific method used depends on the form of the equation and the initial conditions.

4. Can a 2nd order DEQ have multiple conserved quantities?

Yes, a 2nd order DEQ can have multiple conserved quantities. This occurs when the equation has multiple symmetries, and each symmetry corresponds to a conserved quantity.

5. How does a conserved quantity affect the solution of a 2nd order DEQ?

A conserved quantity can provide valuable information about the solution of a 2nd order DEQ. It can help identify symmetries and simplify the equation, making it easier to solve. Additionally, it can aid in understanding the physical implications of the solution.