2nd order DE w/ various solutions

• Thread starter MathewsMD
  • Start date
  • Tags
    2nd order
In summary: That was a typo. The last equation should have beenu= \frac{dy}{dt}= \frac{1}{t^2- C}In summary, the solution to the differential equation y′′ +t(y′)2 = 0 can be derived by integrating with respect to t and setting the constant of integration c_1 to different values depending on whether it is positive, negative, or zero. This results in three different solutions for y depending on the initial conditions. The first solution, y=(1/k)ln|(k−t)/(k+t)|+c2, requires c_1 to be strictly positive and can be obtained by setting c_1 = k^2 for some k > 0
MathewsMD
Hi,

I'm currently finding a solution (i.e. y) for y′′ +t(y′)2 = 0.

The answer is:

y=(1/k)ln|(k−t)/(k+t)|+c2 if c1 =k^2 >0; y=(2/k)arctan(t/k)+c2 if c1 =−k^2 <0; y=−2t−1 +c2 if c1 =0; also y=c

(NOTE: c1 or c2 is just c_1 or c_2)

I've gotten the solutions as y = 0 or y=(2/k)arctan(t/k)+c2, depending on the initial conditions, but don't seem to understand how the first solution (i.e. y=(1/k)ln|(k−t)/(k+t)|+c2) provided in the answer was derived. Also, I don't quite understand why the restrictions are being stated (i.e. if c1 > k^2). If anyone could please explain why there are multiple restrictions and different solutions for each, and also how the first solution was derived, that would be extremely helpful.

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
MathewsMD said:
Hi,

I'm currently finding a solution (i.e. y) for y′′ +t(y′)2 = 0.

The answer is:

y=(1/k)ln|(k−t)/(k+t)|+c2 if c1 =k^2 >0; y=(2/k)arctan(t/k)+c2 if c1 =−k^2 <0; y=−2t−1 +c2 if c1 =0; also y=c

I think you mean [itex]y = -2t^{-1} + c_2[/itex] in the case [itex]c_1 = 0[/itex]; [itex]-2t + C[/itex], which is what you have, is not actually a solution.

(NOTE: c1 or c2 is just c_1 or c_2)

I've gotten the solutions as y = 0 or y=(2/k)arctan(t/k)+c2, depending on the initial conditions, but don't seem to understand how the first solution (i.e. y=(1/k)ln|(k−t)/(k+t)|+c2) provided in the answer was derived. Also, I don't quite understand why the restrictions are being stated (i.e. if c1 > k^2). If anyone could please explain why there are multiple restrictions and different solutions for each, and also how the first solution was derived, that would be extremely helpful.

Thank you!

For non-constant solutions, the ODE may be rearranged as [tex]\frac{y''}{y'^2} = -t,[/tex] and integrating once with respect to [itex]t[/itex] will yield [tex]
y' = \frac{2}{t^2 - c_1}.[/tex] How would you proceed from here? It depends on whether [itex]c_1[/itex] is strictly positive (in which case it may be convenient to set [itex]c_1 = k^2[/itex] for some [itex]k > 0[/itex]), strictly negative (in which case it may be convenient to set [itex]c_1 = -k^2[/itex] for some [itex]k > 0[/itex]), or zero.

pasmith said:
I think you mean [itex]y = -2t^{-1} + c_2[/itex] in the case [itex]c_1 = 0[/itex]; [itex]-2t + C[/itex], which is what you have, is not actually a solution.
For non-constant solutions, the ODE may be rearranged as [tex]\frac{y''}{y'^2} = -t,[/tex] and integrating once with respect to [itex]t[/itex] will yield [tex]
y' = \frac{2}{t^2 - c_1}.[/tex] How would you proceed from here? It depends on whether [itex]c_1[/itex] is strictly positive (in which case it may be convenient to set [itex]c_1 = k^2[/itex] for some [itex]k > 0[/itex]), strictly negative (in which case it may be convenient to set [itex]c_1 = -k^2[/itex] for some [itex]k > 0[/itex]), or zero.

Hmmm...do you mind possibly explaining how you integrated and went from [tex]\frac{y''}{y'^2} = -2t,[/tex]to[tex]y' = \frac{2}{t^2 - c_1}[/tex]? I may just not be seeing something, but any help would be much appreciated!

Last edited:
MathewsMD said:
Hmmm...do you mind possibly explaining how you integrated and went from [tex]\frac{y''}{y'^2} = -2t,[/tex]to[tex]y' = \frac{2}{t^2 - c_1}[/tex]? I may just not be seeing something, but any help would be much appreciated!
Let u= y'. Then y''= u' so the differential equation becomes [tex]u^{-2}du/dt= -2t[/tex] so [tex]u^{-2}du= -2t dt[/tex]. Integrating both sides [tex]-u^{-1}= -t^2+ C[/tex] or [tex]u= dy/dt= 1/(t- C)[/tex].

Likes MathewsMD
HallsofIvy said:
Let u= y'. Then y''= u' so the differential equation becomes [tex]u^{-2}du/dt= -2t[/tex] so [tex]u^{-2}du= -2t dt[/tex]. Integrating both sides [tex]-u^{-1}= -t^2+ C[/tex] or [tex]u= dy/dt= 1/(t- C)[/tex].

Was the [tex] t^2 [/tex] in the denominator [tex] t-C [/tex] in the final step intentionally left out for any particular reason? If not, thank you so much for your help!

That was a typo. The last equation should have been
[tex]u= \frac{dy}{dt}= \frac{1}{t^2- C}[/tex]

Related to 2nd order DE w/ various solutions

What is a 2nd order differential equation?

A 2nd order differential equation is a mathematical equation that involves an unknown function and its first and second derivatives. It is typically written in the form of y'' = f(x,y,y').

What are some common applications of 2nd order differential equations?

2nd order differential equations have numerous applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology. They are used to model and predict the behavior of systems and phenomena that involve rates of change.

What are the different types of solutions to a 2nd order DE?

The types of solutions to a 2nd order differential equation depend on the nature of the equation. They can be classified as general solutions, particular solutions, and singular solutions. General solutions involve a constant parameter, particular solutions do not involve a parameter, and singular solutions involve infinite or undefined values.

How do you solve a 2nd order DE with initial conditions?

To solve a 2nd order differential equation with initial conditions, you can use the method of undetermined coefficients or the method of variation of parameters. Both methods involve finding a particular solution that satisfies the initial conditions and combining it with the general solution to obtain the complete solution.

What are boundary value problems in 2nd order DEs?

Boundary value problems in 2nd order differential equations involve finding a solution that satisfies the given equation and boundary conditions at two or more points. They are often used in applications where the behavior of a system is dependent on certain conditions at its boundaries.