Can Spring Physics Predict Collision Outcomes?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem on a final exam involving a spring and two blocks of different masses. The final velocity and mass of the blocks are found, but the final acceleration and displacement of the spring are still unknown. The conversation then explores using the kinetic energy of the resulting lump to find the work done by compressing the spring and the frequency of oscillation using the angular velocity. One person asks for clarification and validation from Warren.
etan
This was a problem on my final exam that I couldn't figure out, it drove me insane. Someone please tell me it's impossible :wink:

A spring has a 1kg block attached to it and a k of 30,000. A 2kg block moving at 30m/s over a frictionless surface hits and sticks to the 1kg block. What is the displacement of the spring? What frequency will it vibrate after impact?

I figured out that the final velocity of both blocks will be 20m/s and the final mass will be 3kg. I could not figure out the final acceleration to use m*a=x*k

I was not given the distance between the blocks or the time.

Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Step 1) What is the kinetic energy of the resulting 3 kg lump?

Step 2) The work done by the lump in compressing the spring can be found by

[tex]
W = \int F\, dx
= \int kx\, dx
= \frac{1}{2} kx^2
[/tex]

where W is equal to the kinetic energy of the lump.

The angular velocity of oscillation of a system with "springiness" k and mass m is

[tex]\omega = \sqrt{\frac{k}{m}[/tex]

The frequency of an oscillation with angular velocity [itex]\omega[/itex] is

[tex]f = \frac{\omega}{2 \pi}[/tex]

Does this make sense?

- Warren

Hi there,

First of all, don't worry too much about not being able to solve this problem on your final exam. Physics can be challenging and it's okay to struggle with certain concepts or problems.

To solve this problem, you will need to use the conservation of momentum and the conservation of energy equations. The conservation of momentum states that the total momentum before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. In this case, the momentum before the collision is 2kg * 30m/s = 60kg*m/s. After the collision, the total mass is 3kg and the final velocity is 20m/s, so the total momentum is 3kg * 20m/s = 60kg*m/s. This means that the momentum is conserved.

Next, we can use the conservation of energy to find the displacement of the spring. The total energy before the collision is kinetic energy, which is equal to (1/2)mv^2 = (1/2)(2kg)(30m/s)^2 = 900J. After the collision, the total energy is potential energy stored in the spring, which is equal to (1/2)kx^2. So, we can set these two equations equal to each other and solve for x:

900J = (1/2)(30,000)(x^2)
x^2 = 900J / 15,000
x = √0.06 = 0.24m

Therefore, the displacement of the spring is 0.24m.

To find the frequency of vibration, we can use the equation f = (1/2π)√(k/m). In this case, the mass is 3kg (1kg + 2kg) and the k value is 30,000. So, the frequency would be:

f = (1/2π)√(30,000/3) = 61.24Hz

I hope this helps and good luck with your future physics studies! Remember, it's always okay to ask for help when you're struggling with a problem. Keep practicing and you'll get the hang of it.

Related to Can Spring Physics Predict Collision Outcomes?

1. What is spring physics?

Spring physics is the study of the behavior of springs, which are elastic objects that can stretch and compress in response to an applied force. It involves understanding concepts such as Hooke's Law, which describes the relationship between the force applied to a spring and the resulting displacement.

2. How do you calculate the spring constant?

The spring constant, also known as the stiffness coefficient, is a measure of how easily a spring can be stretched or compressed. It is calculated by dividing the force applied to the spring by the resulting displacement. The unit of measurement for spring constant is typically Newtons per meter (N/m).

3. What is the difference between a spring in series and a spring in parallel?

In a series spring system, multiple springs are connected end-to-end and share the same force. This results in a smaller overall spring constant compared to a single spring. In a parallel spring system, multiple springs are connected side-by-side and share the same displacement. This results in a larger overall spring constant compared to a single spring.

4. How does the mass of an object affect the spring's behavior?

The mass of an object does not affect the spring's behavior, as long as the object is small compared to the length of the spring. This is because the spring's displacement is determined by the force applied to it, not the mass of the object. However, in cases where the mass of the object is significant, it can affect the natural frequency of the spring-mass system.

5. Can you give an example of a real-life application of spring physics?

One example of a real-life application of spring physics is in shock absorbers for vehicles. The springs in the shock absorbers help to absorb and dampen the vibrations caused by bumps in the road, providing a smoother ride for the passengers. The properties of the springs, such as the spring constant, are carefully designed to ensure optimal performance.