Amplitude of spring after collision

In summary, the conversation discusses a scenario where a block with mass m on a slippery floor is attached to a spring with constant k. Another block of equal mass approaches with a velocity v and hits the first block, causing both blocks to stick together and oscillate on the spring. The amplitude of the oscillation is calculated using momentum and energy conservation, resulting in the equation Δx = v √(m/2k). However, the book suggests using the equation v = (2π/T) * A to solve for the amplitude, but makes a mistake by using the wrong velocity after the collision. The correct solution is Δx = v √(m/2k).
terryds

Homework Statement

psuhg.jpg

A block with mass m which is on a slippery floor is attached to a spring with spring constant k.
Another block which mass is also m approach and then hit the first block with velocity v as shown in the figure.
After the collision, both blocks stick together and together oscillates on the spring.
The amplitude of the oscillation is

A. A = v √(m/k)
B. A = v √(k/m)
C. A = v √(2m/k)
D. A = v √(m/2k)
E. A = 2v √(m/k)

Homework Equations

Momentum and energy conservation (I think)

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Since both blocks stick together, it's inelastic collision.

m v = 2m v'
v' = (1/2)v1/2 (2m) (v')^2 = 1/2 k (Δx)^2
m (1/4) v^2 = 1/2 k (Δx)^2
Δx^2 = (1/2)v^2m/k
Δx = v √(m/2k)

So, I choose D as the answer..

But, the book says that it is C

2u61ojc.jpg
which is very confusing how to get v = (2π/T) * A.. The explanation is very bad..
Please help

Physics news on Phys.org
Your calculations look correct to me. Perhaps the book has a mistake. They sometimes do.
The formula ##v=\frac{2\pi}T\times A## gives the velocity v of an object in simple harmonic motion (SHM) when it passes the equilibrium point. It is easily derived when you consider that the formula for SHM is

$$x(t)=A\sin(2\pi t/T)$$

SHM is what will be happening after the collision, and the point of the collision is the equilibrium point, as that is where the spring is under no strain in either direction, and velocity is maximum.

Even though I don't understand much Indonesian/Malaysian, I can see what the book is doing. They use the formula ##T=2\pi\sqrt{\frac{mass}k}## for the period of an object in SHM, together with the other formula, to solve for ##A##. They correctly set ##mass=2m##. However they make a mistake with ##v##. They should use ##v'=v/2## instead, because that's what the velocity is after the collision.

So you are correct and the book made a mistake.
bagus!

Last edited:
Likes terryds
andrewkirk said:
Your calculations look correct to me. Perhaps the book has a mistake. They sometimes do.
The formula ##v=\frac{2\pi}T\times A## gives the velocity v of an object in simple harmonic motion (SHM) when it passes the equilibrium point. It is easily derived when you consider that the formula for SHM is

$$x(t)=A\sin(2\pi t/T)$$

SHM is what will be happening after the collision, and the point of the collision is the equilibrium point, as that is where the spring is under no strain in either direction, and velocity is maximum.

Even though I don't understand much Indonesian/Malaysian, I can see what the book is doing. They use the formula ##T=2\pi\sqrt{\frac{mass}k}## for the period of an object in SHM, together with the other formula, to solve for ##A##. They correctly set ##mass=2m##. However they make a mistake with ##v##. They should use ##v'=v/2## instead, because that's what the velocity is after the collision.

So you are correct and the book made a mistake.
bagus!

Thanks a lot

Related to Amplitude of spring after collision

1. What is the amplitude of a spring after a collision?

The amplitude of a spring after a collision is the maximum displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position.

2. How is the amplitude of a spring affected by a collision?

The amplitude of a spring can increase, decrease, or remain the same after a collision, depending on the characteristics of the collision and the spring.

3. What factors influence the amplitude of a spring after a collision?

The amplitude of a spring after a collision is influenced by the mass of the colliding object, the speed of the collision, and the stiffness of the spring.

4. Can the amplitude of a spring after a collision be negative?

Yes, the amplitude of a spring after a collision can be negative if the spring is compressed beyond its equilibrium position.

5. How is the amplitude of a spring related to its energy after a collision?

The amplitude of a spring is directly related to its energy after a collision. An increase in amplitude corresponds to an increase in energy, and vice versa.