2015 Nobel Prize in Physics announcement

In summary: I am a layman :smile:Yes. In the case of neutrino oscillations, there are now several experiments that have measured the same phenomenon. This adds to the credibility of the original results and also allows for more precise measurements of the oscillation parameters. In summary, The 2015 Nobel Prize in Physics has been awarded to Takaaki Kajita and Arthur B. McDonald for their work on neutrino oscillations. This phenomenon was first observed by the Super-Kamiokande experiment in 1998, and was later confirmed and measured more precisely by the Sudbury Neutrino Observatory in 2001. This has greatly contributed to our understanding of neutrinos and their properties, and has opened up new
Orodruin
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Today we will learn who wins the 2015 Nobel Prize in physics. The announcement will be available online at 11.45 CET at the earliest (depending on whether or not they have taken a decision and been able to inform the laureates).

Link to announcement: http://www.kva.se/en/Events-List/2015/Announcement-of-the-Nobel-Prize-in-Physics-2015/

Likes PWiz, TSny and Telemachus
Physics news on Phys.org
It would be interesting to attend one of those. :smile:

You need a registration, a press ID, and to travel to Stockholm. I only have the last part covered - the Academy is order 1 km away from where I am sitting. :wink:
Later today we have a colloquium presentation of the Prize here at the AlbaNova University center.

Likes Telemachus
Neutrino oscillations! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Likes TheAnt, PWiz, Telemachus and 2 others
I think I know some experts on this subject ... :rolleyes:

Likes Borek, davidbenari and mfb
Orodruin said:
I think I know some experts on this subject ... :rolleyes:

Well, I (and the rest of my grad school research group) would have been astonished if I had actually found neutrino oscillations in my dissertation project 33 years ago. :))

I figured that experiment would get the prize eventually. Congratulations to them! :biggrin:

@mfb wrote a nice Insights article on the topic a few months ago: https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/neutrino-masses-speed

Somewhat disappointed that it didn't go to Vera Rubin and others for their work on dark matter. Hopefully, she'll still be around when the committee gets around to awarding the next astronomy-related prize.

[edit: thanks to robphy for pointing out the spelling mistake]

Last edited:
Likes Telemachus and Greg Bernhardt
That probably should be Vera Rubin.

jtbell said:
Well, I (and the rest of my grad school research group) would have been astonished if I had actually found neutrino oscillations in my dissertation project 33 years ago. :))

I figured that experiment would get the prize eventually. Congratulations to them! :biggrin:

Gosh, I was certain neutrino oscillations wouldn't get the prize this year - I had assumed they had already gotten it! :biggrin:

I think congratulations are owed to a lot of people who worked on the Neutrino project, including Dr. McDonald and Dr. Kajita.

I did my undergraduate degree at Queen's and spent many hours in Stirling Hall. During my 4 years at Queen's I got to know many of the professors who eventually worked on the neutrino mass project with Dr. McDonald, including Dr. Hugh Evans, Dr. George Ewan and Dr. Hay Boon Mak,. During the summer of 1974 I had the pleasure of working there under Dr. Mak, then a research fellow. He was at that time part of the team at the Chalk River nuclear facility and he later went to the Sudbury Neutrino Observatory when it was started in the 1980s. While my time at Queens was well before Dr. McDonald arrived, it is quite apparent that he was able to work with a very highly qualified group that worked very well together. I think they all deserve recognition in this.

AM

Last edited:
Art McDonald once asked me back in 2006 or so if I would consider taking up an experimental post-doc with SNO. I guess that is how close I will ever get to work with a Nobel laureate.

Edit: Also, given my experimental skills, this was probably in the best interest of the collaboration :rolleyes:

Likes vanhees71
Orodruin said:
I guess that is how close I will ever get to work with a Nobel laureate.
Close enough for me. :bow:

Likes EternusVia and PWiz
Wow! So does this now mean that there is a greater probability of the 3 neutrino flavors being massive (and having different invariant masses)? What does the scientific community think about Lorentz-violating neutrino oscillations after this?

PWiz said:
Wow! So does this now mean that there is a greater probability of the 3 neutrino flavors being massive (and having different invariant masses)? What does the scientific community think about Lorentz-violating neutrino oscillations after this?
The results they were awarded the prize for are over a decade old so they are not really news to the scientific community. The results were (and still are) of great importance for the development of the experimental neutrino physics programme as well as for the theoretical developments.

The flavours themselves do not have specific masses. Instead, they are linear combinations of the different mass eigenstates - much in the same way as a quantum state in a superposition of states with different energy does not have a definite energy, but is a superposition of different energy eigenstates.

As for Lorentz invariance, neutrino oscillations are working perfectly fine in a Lorentz invariant framework.

Likes PWiz
At least two mass eigenstates have to be massive. The third could be massless, but there is no special reason to expect this.
PWiz said:
What does the scientific community think about Lorentz-violating neutrino oscillations after this?
There have never been Lorentz-violating observations of anything. There was a measurement error from OPERA four years ago that got fixed three years ago.

Likes vanhees71 and PWiz
so glad to see this has finally happened. I was in my final years at high school when Super-K announced their results...
and somehow I moved into the topic of neutrino models at uni

PWiz said:
greater probability of the 3 neutrino flavors being massive (and having different invariant masses)

The probability is the same as it was before the prize was awarded, no? Prizes don't influence nature.

mfb said:
At least two mass eigenstates have to be massive. The third could be massless

Does that work? I don't think it's as simple as looking at the DeltaM terms. I think that derivation is done under the assumption of three non-zero masses.

Likes EternusVia
Vanadium 50 said:
Does that work? I don't think it's as simple as looking at the DeltaM terms. I think that derivation is done under the assumption of three non-zero masses.

It works perfectly fine. The approximation made in the usual heuristic derivation is ##\sqrt{p^2 + m_i^2} \simeq p + m_i^2/2p##, which remains true even for ##m_i = 0## (in fact, for ##m_i = 0##, it is no longer an approximation).

Vanadium 50 said:
The probability is the same as it was before the prize was awarded, no? Prizes don't influence nature.
The fact that the nobel prize is being awarded for results obtained 10 years ago makes me feel that some other recent measurements have pointed in the same direction as the original results, lending credibility to the original experimental data. A nobel prize looks like a gesture of acknowledgment from the scientific community IMO, because I'm pretty sure the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences won't award it to someone for findings which some scientists find inconclusive.

Orodruin said:
I guess that is how close I will ever get to work with a Nobel laureate.

Work with a laureate? No, not me, but I almost tripped Hans Dehmelt in the hallway when I was a student at UW.

Likes Astronuc and Greg Bernhardt
lisab said:
Work with a laureate? No, not me, but I almost tripped Hans Dehmelt in the hallway when I was a student at UW.
In my first international physics conference, my supervisor told me I had just cut the line to the coffee break just in front of Lincoln Wolfenstein. Of course, I had no idea what he looked like at the time.

When I was a grad student, I found Chandrasekhar's wallet in the library.
He was browsing the stacks earlier... and I guess his wallet fell out.

Likes martinbn and Drakkith
robphy said:
When I was a grad student, I found Chandrasekhar's wallet in the library.
He was browsing the stacks earlier... and I guess his wallet fell out.

Did you give it back?

Orodruin said:
It works perfectly fine.

I was actually thinking about something else. Usually the derivation uses the Schroedinger equation, justified because you can always find a frame near the rest frame of the neutrino. That doesn't work if one of the eigenstates is massless. The derivation may still give the right answer, but the argument is a little shakier.

Vanadium 50 said:
I was actually thinking about something else. Usually the derivation uses the Schroedinger equation, justified because you can always find a frame near the rest frame of the neutrino. That doesn't work if one of the eigenstates is massless. The derivation may still give the right answer, but the argument is a little shakier.
The normal heuristic derivation is very shaky at best not only for this reason but also because it is usually assumed that all mass eigenstates carry the same momentum. If you really want to do it properly, you need to look at it from a QFT viewpoint including the reactions in which the neutrinos are created and destroyed. A slightly more rigorous option yet still not as rigorous as the QFT approach is using a wave-packet approach. For relatively reasonable assumptions and approximations, these both give the same result as the heuristic derivation.

Edit: You also typically do not go to the rest frame of the neutrino in the heuristic approach. You just make the approximation I quoted for the energies.

Orodruin said:
Neutrino oscillations! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
When I heard about it!

Congratulations to the recipients, and to everyone involved in neutrino oscillation physics over the years!

Of great interest is that the MicroBooNE collaboration has seen its first cosmic muons: http://www.fnal.gov/pub/today/archive/archive_2015/today15-08-12.html This project was started to investigate an excess of low energy electron neutrinos seen in the MiniBooNE Project, which itself was designed to investigate an anomaly in the LSND experiment, which suggested the existence of a fourth, sterile neutrino species: http://www.aps.org/publications/apsnews/200706/miniboone.cfm

The MicroBooNE project is planned to take data for three years.

No Chinese (from mainland) has got the award( in physics), that's a pity.

Nevertheless Tu Youyou got the Noble(in nature science), and becomes the 1st Chinese

Could this discovery answer any questions about ageing ?

Neutrino oscillations (=this topic)? No.

The nobel prize in chemistry for DNA repair? Sure.

Likes mheslep
dodonaomik said:
No Chinese (from mainland) has got the award( in physics), that's a pity.

TD Lee, CS Wu and CN Yang were all born on the mainland.

One thing that has me puzzled about the Miniboone experiment, which refuted the implication of a 4th neutrino species in the LSND data, is why they didn't use exactly the same energy, and distance to the detector, as were employed in the LSND experiment? It seems like that would be the ultimate check on the LSND results.

Related to 2015 Nobel Prize in Physics announcement

1. What is the Nobel Prize in Physics?

The Nobel Prize in Physics is one of the five Nobel Prizes established by Alfred Nobel in 1895. It is awarded annually to individuals who have made significant contributions to the field of physics through their research, discoveries, or inventions.

2. Who won the 2015 Nobel Prize in Physics?

The 2015 Nobel Prize in Physics was awarded jointly to Takaaki Kajita and Arthur B. McDonald for their work on neutrino oscillations, which provided evidence for the existence of neutrino mass and thus challenged the Standard Model of particle physics.

3. How are Nobel laureates selected?

Nobel laureates are selected by the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences, based on recommendations from international experts in the respective fields. The Academy evaluates the nominations and chooses the winners through a rigorous selection process.

4. What is the significance of the 2015 Nobel Prize in Physics?

The 2015 Nobel Prize in Physics was significant because it confirmed the existence of neutrino mass, which had been a long-standing mystery in the field of particle physics. This discovery has opened up new avenues for research and has the potential to revolutionize our understanding of the universe.

5. What impact does the Nobel Prize have on the scientific community?

The Nobel Prize is considered the most prestigious award in the field of science, and winning it brings international recognition and acclaim to the recipients. It also provides a platform for the winners to further their research and contribute to the advancement of their respective fields. Additionally, the Nobel Prize often inspires young scientists to pursue groundbreaking research and make significant contributions to society.