2 methods to solve system of differential equations

In summary, you can solve systems of differential equations using Laplace transforms if you know the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the matrix.
Sparky_

Homework Statement

Greetings –

I am wanting to solve the following system of differential equations:

[tex]

K*\frac{d^2x}{dt^2} = -K2*\frac{dz}{dt}
[/tex]

[tex]
K*\frac{dz^2}{dt^2} = K2*\frac{dx}{dt}
[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Now – I am not just wanting to solve it (I know what the solution is already) I am wanting for grins to solve it as if I was back in school –

I would like to solve this system 2 ways:

Am I correct that using Laplace transforms are a straightforward way to solve this system?

I have scanned my old diff. e. book and could not find great examples of solving systems.

Can I use the method where I would set:
x = i1
x’ = i2
x” = i3

then i1’ = i2
i2’ = i3

Likewise for z
z = j1
z’ = j2
z’’ = j3

j1’ = j2
j2’ = j3

ending up with:

K(i2’) = -(k2)j2
K(j2’) = (k2)i2

What I don’t know how to do is solve this system using a typical tool - something like pulling out the characteristic equation or so forth?

Can you help – how can I solve this system (a second method other than Laplace)?

Thanks
-Sparky_

Physics news on Phys.org
No - you just have to realize you have time derivatives of x and z in the equation and you don't have x and y. So just express in terms of new variables which are those derivatives. u = dx/dt, v = dz/dt say. Not fairly obvious?

Then how to solve that, I posted yesterday or so.

Sparky_ said:
hey epengiun

is this the link you refer to : https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=465484

where you solved something similar?

Thanks!
Sparky_

Yes, and for that matter you were sort of getting there but I had just stopped reading when I saw 'Laplace transforms'.

Pretty much like epenguin, I tend to stop reading when I see "Laplace Transform". A very over rated technique in my opinion.

The real "two methods", in my opinion are:
1) Differentiate the first equation again to get
[tex]K\frac{d^3x}{dt^3}= -K_2\frac{d^2z}{dt^2}[/tex]

Now, from the second equation, substitute
[tex]\frac{K_2}{K}\frac{dx}{dt}[/tex]
for the second derivative of z. That gives
[tex]K\frac{d^3x}{dt^3}= -\frac{K_2^2}{K}\frac{dx}{dt}[/tex]
If we let u= dx/dt, that becomes a second order equation in u:
[tex]K\frac{d^2u}{dt^2}= -\frac{K_2^2}{K}u[/tex]
or
[tex]\frac{d^2u}{dt^2}+ \frac{K_2^2}{K^2}u= 0[/tex]
which is easily solved. Integrate u with respect to t to find x.

Once you know x, you can put it
[tex]K_2\frac{dz}{dt}= K_2\frac{d^2x}{dt^2}[/tex]
and integrate to find z.

Notice the solving the second order equation for u will give 2 undetermined constants. Then integrating to find x will introduce a third. Finally, integrating to find z will introduce a fourth undetermined constant. That is exactly what we would expect solving two second order equations.

2) Let w= dz/dt and let y= dx/dt so that the two equations become
[tex]K\frac{dw}{dt}= K_2y[/tex]
and
[tex]K\frac{dy}{dt}= K_2w[/tex]
so that we have four first order equations:
[tex]\frac{dx}{dt}= y[/tex]
[tex]\frac{dy}{dt}= \frac{K_2}{K}w[/tex]
[tex]\frac{dz}{dt}= w[/tex]
[tex]\frac{dw}{dt}= \frac{K_2}{K}y[/tex]

and we can write that as the single matrix equation:
[tex]\frac{d\begin{pmatrix}x \\ y\\ z\\ w\end{pmatrix}}{dt}= \begin{pmatrix}0 & 1 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 & \frac{K_2}{K}\\ 0 & 0 & 0 & 1 \\ 0 &\frac{K_2}{K}& 0 & 0\end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix}x \\ y \\ z \\ w\end{pmatrix}[/tex]
which can be solved by finding the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the matrix.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to 2 methods to solve system of differential equations

1. What are the two methods used to solve a system of differential equations?

The two methods commonly used to solve a system of differential equations are the analytical method and the numerical method.

2. What is the analytical method for solving a system of differential equations?

The analytical method involves finding an exact solution to the system of differential equations by using algebraic techniques and applying initial conditions to determine the values of the constants. This method is only applicable to simple systems with known solutions.

3. How does the numerical method work for solving a system of differential equations?

The numerical method involves approximating the solution to a system of differential equations by dividing the domain into smaller intervals and using numerical techniques such as Euler's method or Runge-Kutta methods to calculate the values at each interval. This method is more versatile and can be used for more complex systems.

4. Which method is more accurate for solving a system of differential equations?

The analytical method is generally more accurate as it provides an exact solution to the system, whereas the numerical method relies on approximations. However, the accuracy of the numerical method can be improved by decreasing the interval size.

5. When should I use the analytical method versus the numerical method for solving a system of differential equations?

The analytical method should be used for simple systems with known solutions, while the numerical method is better suited for more complex systems or when an exact solution is not possible. The choice ultimately depends on the specific problem and the desired level of accuracy.