How Do You Calculate the Mass of the Plane After Intercepting Luggage?

In summary, the problem given involves a plane with an initial velocity intercepting a piece of luggage with an initial velocity, and after the interception, the plane is moving at a speed of 400 m/s. The task is to find the mass of the plane. To solve this, the conservation of momentum equations are used, along with the fact that the speed of the plane and luggage are the same after the interception. The initial speed of the plane can be calculated using the given components, and the speed of the luggage can be calculated assuming it starts in quadrant 1 and moves to quadrant 3 at an 11.3° angle. The next step is to use vector addition to find the total momentum before the impact, and then solve
Oxford365

Homework Statement

A plane with an initial velocity of (225m/s ŷ + 325m/s Ẑ) intercepts a 20kg piece of luggage with initial velocity of (-75m/s ŷ - 15m/s Ẑ). After, plane is moving at speed 400 m/s. What is the mass of the plane?

Homework Equations

momentum y: Mplane(225m/s) + 20kg(-75 m/s) = Mplane(Vy) + 20kg(Vy)
momentum z: Mplane(325m/s) + 20kg(-15m/s) = Mplane(Vz) +20kg(Vz)
V = Vy^2 + Vz^2 , Tanθ= Vz/Vy

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the speed given after the interception is in magnitude form and it needs to be in component form and the speed of the plane and luggage are the same after.
For the plane I get V=395.3m/s @ 55.3°
For the luggage I get V=76.5m/s @ 11.3° (assuming this means the Luggage starts in Q1 and moves on the 11.3° angle into Q3?)
I tried doing conservation of momentum with plugging in 400 in the final velocities but I realized this does not make sense.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the momentum of the plane+luggage after the collision? How does this relate to the speed of the plane+luggage after the collision?

Oxford365 said:
I know the speed given after the interception is in magnitude form and it needs to be in component form
Careful with nomenclature here, speed cannot be given on component form as it is a scalar! It is the magnitude of the velocity.

Express in terms of the magnitudes and angles and solve.

Dr. Courtney said:
Express in terms of the magnitudes and angles and solve.

This is where I seem to be lost. This is for a summer class and I haven't had much time/practice with this sort of problem.

Orodruin said:
What is the momentum of the plane+luggage after the collision? How does this relate to the speed of the plane+luggage after the collision?

Well I know the momentum after is Mplane(Vy) + 20kg(Vy) & Mplane(Vz) +20kg(Vz)
If I knew the angle of the 400m/s I could use sin and cosine to get the components. This is where I am lost

Oxford365 said:
If I knew the angle of the 400m/s I could use sin and cosine to get the components.

The angle is irrelevant (although you can compute it from the angle of the initial momentum). You only need to find the magnitude of the momentum.

Orodruin said:
The angle is irrelevant (although you can compute it from the angle of the initial momentum). You only need to find the magnitude of the momentum.
So : Mplane(395.3m/s) + 20kg(76.5m/s) = Mplane(400m/s) + 20kg(400m/s) ?

Oxford365 said:
So : Mplane(395.3m/s) + 20kg(76.5m/s) = Mplane(400m/s) + 20kg(400m/s) ?

No, you need to square the total momentum before the impact! A suggestion is: Do not calculate the direction of the momenta of the separate entities, it has no bearing on the problem - only the total momentum is of relevance.

Orodruin said:
No, you need to square the total momentum before the impact! A suggestion is: Do not calculate the direction of the momenta of the separate entities, it has no bearing on the problem - only the total momentum is of relevance.

We have never squared momentum in any case in class..and isn't calculating the momenta of separate objects crucial to finding the total momentum? I am not grasping your advice, could you dumb it down anymore?

Oxford365 said:
We have never squared momentum in any case in class..and isn't calculating the momenta of separate objects crucial to finding the total momentum? I am not grasping your advice, could you dumb it down anymore?

How else do you usually find the magnitude of a vector other than adding the squares of the components, summing, and taking the square root of the result? You do not need to compute the magnitude of the individual momenta, you already have the momenta. What you need to do is to use vector addition to find the total momentum and you already have the vector components so the operation is trivial.

Orodruin said:
How else do you usually find the magnitude of a vector other than adding the squares of the components, summing, and taking the square root of the result? You do not need to compute the magnitude of the individual momenta, you already have the momenta. What you need to do is to use vector addition to find the total momentum and you already have the vector components so the operation is trivial.
Could you show me the first step or two? Maybe that will help.

Oxford365 said:

Homework Statement

A plane with an initial velocity of (225m/s ŷ + 325m/s Ẑ) intercepts a 20kg piece of luggage with initial velocity of (-75m/s ŷ - 15m/s Ẑ). After, plane is moving at speed 400 m/s. What is the mass of the plane?

Homework Equations

momentum y: Mplane(225m/s) + 20kg(-75 m/s) = Mplane(Vy) + 20kg(Vy)
momentum z: Mplane(325m/s) + 20kg(-15m/s) = Mplane(Vz) +20kg(Vz)
V = Vy^2 + Vz^2 , Tanθ= Vz/Vy

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the speed given after the interception is in magnitude form and it needs to be in component form and the speed of the plane and luggage are the same after.
For the plane I get V=395.3m/s @ 55.3°
For the luggage I get V=76.5m/s @ 11.3° (assuming this means the Luggage starts in Q1 and moves on the 11.3° angle into Q3?)
I tried doing conservation of momentum with plugging in 400 in the final velocities but I realized this does not make sense.
If the plane is actually intercepting the luggage, i.e. the plane captures the luggage so that it then becomes part of the plane's cargo, then is problem has no solution. The initial speed of the plane is less than 400 m/s. the initial velocity of the luggage is largely opposite that of the plane. The plane will slow down.

Maybe there is a language translation problem here.

SammyS said:
If the plane is actually intercepting the luggage, i.e. the plane captures the luggage so that it then becomes part of the plane's cargo, then is problem has no solution. The initial speed of the plane is less than 400 m/s. the initial velocity of the luggage is largely opposite that of the plane. The plane will slow down.

Maybe there is a language translation problem here.

Lets say hypothetically it does work. What would the plan of attack be?

Last edited:
Oxford365 said:
Just work with the equations you posted in the OP. Forget the tan theta equation since that is the only one involving the angle and you don't care about that. This leaves you three equations with three unknowns.
You need to manipulate the equations so as to eliminate vy and vz. Do you understand how to eliminate variables in simultaneous equations?

Oxford365 said:
I see that you deleted most of what you posted when you did your Edit..

It might be helpful for others to know that you altered the values of your homework problem to get the parameters here. Unfortunately, I was not able to find the those values cached by my browser. At any rate, in the homework problem:
The initial speed of the plane is in excess of 400 m/s.
As I recall, the final speed was 400 m/s.
The mass of the luggage was something like 2000 kg.
Etc.​

For a problem such as this, you're not free to just pick these values at random.

SammyS said:
I see that you deleted most of what you posted when you did your Edit..

It might be helpful for others to know that you altered the values of your homework problem to get the parameters here. Unfortunately, I was not able to find the those values cached by my browser. At any rate, in the homework problem:
The initial speed of the plane is in excess of 400 m/s.
As I recall, the final speed was 400 m/s.
The mass of the luggage was something like 2000 kg.
Etc.​

For a problem such as this, you're not free to just pick these values at random.
A spaceship with an initial velocity of (300 m/s y + 400m/s z) captures a 2000kg asteroid moving with an initial velocity of (-100m/s y - 50m/s z.) After, the ship is moving at 498m/s. What is the mass of the spaceship?

Oxford365 said:
Well I know the momentum after is Mplane(Vy) + 20kg(Vy) & Mplane(Vz) +20kg(Vz)

Can you think of some alternative way of finding this momentum? Let us say, a conservation law of some sort?

Orodruin said:
Can you think of some alternative way of finding this momentum? Let us say, a conservation law of some sort?
I was thinking conservation of energy and using kinetic but kinetic energy is dissipated in this problem so I can't set kinetic initial equal to kinetic final

Oxford365 said:
I was thinking conservation of energy and using kinetic but kinetic energy is dissipated in this problem so I can't set kinetic initial equal to kinetic final
So what other conservation laws do you know?

Orodruin said:
So what other conservation laws do you know?
I believe we have learned about momentum conservation, energy conservation, and angular momentum conservation.

Oxford365 said:
A spaceship with an initial velocity of (300 m/s y + 400m/s z) captures a 2000kg asteroid moving with an initial velocity of (-100m/s y - 50m/s z.) After, the ship is moving at 498m/s. What is the mass of the spaceship?
If you want to return to your airplane-luggage version, I think a little tweak will make it workable.

Changing the y component of the initial velocity of the plane from 225m/s to 235m/s gives a speed just over 401m/s. That should make the problem workable.

As far as finding a solution goes:
Your equations for components using momentum conservation should get you there. Square each equation then add them, (Maybe factor out Vx and Vy first.) You will then have V2 on the right hand side (multiplied by some combination of masses). The only unknown will be Mplane. This gives a quadratic equation in Mplane. The result looks to be pretty messy.

Perhaps Orodruin is leading you to a cleaner method.

SammyS said:
Perhaps Orodruin is leading you to a cleaner method.
No, this is pretty much it.

Orodruin said:
No, this is pretty much it.
So square my y-momentum equation and square my z-momentum equation and add them?

Oxford365 said:
So square my y-momentum equation and square my z-momentum equation and add them?
Yes.

You may want to factor out Vx and Vy from the right hand sides first.

Remember, V2 = (Vx)2 + (Vy)2 .

Related to How Do You Calculate the Mass of the Plane After Intercepting Luggage?

1. How do you calculate the displacement of an object in 2-dimensional motion?

In 2-dimensional motion, the displacement of an object is calculated by finding the difference between its final position and initial position. This can be done by using the Pythagorean theorem to find the total distance traveled in both the x and y directions.

2. What is the difference between velocity and speed in 2-dimensional motion?

In 2-dimensional motion, velocity is a vector quantity that includes both magnitude and direction, while speed is a scalar quantity that only measures the magnitude of an object's motion. This means that velocity takes into account the direction of an object's motion, while speed does not.

3. How is acceleration calculated in 2-dimensional motion?

In 2-dimensional motion, acceleration can be calculated by finding the change in velocity over time. This can be done by using the Pythagorean theorem to find the total change in velocity in both the x and y directions, and then dividing by the total time.

4. Can an object have a constant speed but changing velocity in 2-dimensional motion?

Yes, an object can have a constant speed but changing velocity in 2-dimensional motion. This is because velocity takes into account both the speed and direction of an object's motion. So even if an object is moving at a constant speed, if its direction is changing, its velocity is also changing.

5. How is projectile motion different from regular 2-dimensional motion?

Projectile motion is a specific type of 2-dimensional motion where an object is launched into the air and moves in a curved path under the influence of gravity. In regular 2-dimensional motion, the object typically follows a straight path and is not affected by gravity.