2-D collison question involving one moving objecy and one stationary object

• Thread starter meeklobraca
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Collison
In summary: Therefore, the initial velocity of the first rock before the collision was 2.27 m/s. In summary, to solve this problem, we used the conservation of momentum principle and broke down the final velocities into their x and y components to find the initial velocity of the first rock before the collision.
meeklobraca

Homework Statement

A 20.0kg curling rock is moving due east when it collides with a stationary rock of equal mass. After the collison the first rock is traveling at 1.50 m/s 47 degrees north of east, and the other rock is traveling 1.71 m/s 40 degrees south of east. Determine the velocity of the first rock before the collison.

Homework Equations

p=mv

The Attempt at a Solution

I can sort of figure out how to do this if your given the velocity of the moving rock, but I am kind of at a loss as to how to figure it out going the other way. THe attempt I made was that the momentum before and after have to equal the same. So I figured the momentum of the two rocks after the collison equalled 64.2N. but taking that and diving it by the mass of the before rock doesn't equal the answer.

Can someone point me in the right direction for trying to figure out this question?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

To solve this problem, you can use the conservation of momentum principle, which states that the total momentum of a system before and after a collision remains constant. This can be written as:

m1v1i + m2v2i = m1v1f + m2v2f

Where m1 and m2 are the masses of the two rocks, v1i and v2i are their initial velocities before the collision, and v1f and v2f are their final velocities after the collision.

In this problem, we are given the masses of the rocks (20.0kg each) and the final velocities (1.50 m/s 47 degrees north of east and 1.71 m/s 40 degrees south of east). We can use this information to solve for the initial velocity of the first rock (v1i).

First, we need to break down the final velocities into their x and y components. To do this, we can use the fact that the direction of the velocity vector is given by the angle (47 degrees north of east or 40 degrees south of east) and the magnitude of the velocity vector is given by the speed (1.50 m/s or 1.71 m/s).

For the first rock, we can write its final velocity as:

v1f = 1.50 m/s x cos(47 degrees) + 1.50 m/s x sin(47 degrees)

= 1.14 m/s + 0.96 m/s

= 2.10 m/s

Similarly, for the second rock, we can write its final velocity as:

v2f = 1.71 m/s x cos(40 degrees) - 1.71 m/s x sin(40 degrees)

= 1.31 m/s - 1.14 m/s

= 0.17 m/s

Now, we can substitute these values into the conservation of momentum equation and solve for v1i:

(20.0kg)(v1i) + (20.0kg)(0 m/s) = (20.0kg)(2.10 m/s) + (20.0kg)(0.17 m/s)

20.0kg x v1i =

I would approach this problem by first defining the variables and determining what information is given and what is needed. In this case, the given information includes the masses of the two rocks, the velocity of the first rock after the collision, and the angles at which the two rocks are travelling after the collision. The needed information is the velocity of the first rock before the collision.

Next, I would use the conservation of momentum principle to solve for the velocity of the first rock before the collision. This principle states that the total momentum before and after a collision must be equal. So, we can set up the equation:

Where m1 and m2 are the masses of the two rocks, v1i and v2i are the velocities of the two rocks before the collision, and v1f and v2f are the velocities of the two rocks after the collision.

Since the second rock is initially stationary (v2i = 0), the equation simplifies to:

m1v1i = m1v1f + m2v2f

Substituting in the given values, we get:

20.0kg * v1i = 20.0kg * (1.50 m/s * cos47°) + 20.0kg * (1.71 m/s * cos40°)

Solving for v1i, we get:

v1i = (1.50 m/s * cos47°) + (1.71 m/s * cos40°)

v1i = 1.05 m/s + 1.17 m/s

v1i = 2.22 m/s

So, the velocity of the first rock before the collision was 2.22 m/s. This approach uses the conservation of momentum principle and trigonometric functions to solve for the unknown velocity.

Related to 2-D collison question involving one moving objecy and one stationary object

1. What is a 2-D collision?

A 2-D collision is a type of collision that occurs between two objects in a two-dimensional space, where the objects move in two different directions.

2. What happens during a 2-D collision?

During a 2-D collision, the two objects involved will exert forces on each other, causing them to change their velocities and directions of motion.

3. What is the conservation of momentum?

The conservation of momentum is a fundamental law of physics that states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant before and after a collision. This means that the total momentum of the two objects involved in a 2-D collision will remain the same.

4. How is kinetic energy affected in a 2-D collision?

In a 2-D collision, kinetic energy is not conserved. Some of the kinetic energy of the moving object is transferred to the stationary object, causing them to both have a different kinetic energy after the collision.

5. How can we calculate the final velocities of the objects after a 2-D collision?

The final velocities of the objects after a 2-D collision can be calculated using the equations of conservation of momentum and conservation of kinetic energy. These equations take into account the masses and initial velocities of the objects to determine their final velocities.