1D Elastic Collisions with air gliders

In summary, two air track gliders of masses 300g and 200g collide in an elastic collision with initial velocities of 50cm/s and 100cm/s respectively. Using the equations for momentum and kinetic energy conservation, the final velocities of the gliders can be found to be -70cm/s and 80cm/s respectively, with the direction of the more massive glider being taken as positive. This can also be solved using the difference of 2 squares and dividing the kinetic energy conservation equation by the momentum conservation equation.
aeromat

Homework Statement

Q: Two air track gliders of masses 300g, and 200g move towards each other in opposite directions with speeds of 50cm/s and 100cm/s respectively. Take the direction of the more massive glider as positive.

If the collision is elastic, find the velocity of each glider AFTER collision

[Given answer for the question: [-70cm/s, 80cm/s], but I'm not sure if that is respective to the gliders themselves]

Let A be the 300g plane
Let B be the 200g plane

Homework Equations

[1]---> MAVA + MBVB = MAV'A + MBV'B
[2]---> 1/2MVA^2 + 1/2MVB^2 = 1/2MV'A^2 + 1/2MV'B^2

1/2's are canceled out, so we get:
[2] MVA^2 + MVB^2 = MV'A^2 + MV'B^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Isolated V'B in the momentum conservation equation to get the following:

V'B = [tex]\frac{MAVA + MBVB - MAV'A}{MB}[/tex]
V'B = [tex]\frac{(300)(50) + (200)(-100) - 300(V'A)}{200}[/tex]

Subbed into the kinetic energy conservation equation:

[tex]MAVA^2 + MBVB^2 = MAV'A^2 + MB(\frac{MAVA + MBVB - MAV'A}{MB})^2[/tex]
Let V'A rep [tex]x[/tex]
[tex](300)(50)^2 + (200)(-100)^2 = (300)(x)^2 + 200(\frac{(300)(50) + (200)(-100) - 300(x)}{200})^2[/tex]

At this step, I am doubting whether or not I should countinue doing it this way. Is there any other algebraic method to get the two velocities after the collision, being it an elastic collision? I carry out this entire question taking up about half a page and then find myself scratching my head over a wrong answer...

Physics news on Phys.org
There's a much neater way of doing this! Try using the difference of 2 squares and dividing the KE conservation equation by the momentum conservation equation

Related to 1D Elastic Collisions with air gliders

1. What is a 1D elastic collision?

A 1D elastic collision is a type of collision in which two objects collide in a straight line and bounce off of each other without any loss of kinetic energy.

2. How do air gliders experience 1D elastic collisions?

Air gliders experience 1D elastic collisions when they collide with another object, such as a wall or another air glider, in a straight line and bounce off of each other without losing any kinetic energy.

3. What factors affect the outcome of a 1D elastic collision for air gliders?

The mass, velocity, and angle of approach of the air gliders can affect the outcome of a 1D elastic collision. Other factors such as air resistance and friction can also play a role.

4. How is momentum conserved in a 1D elastic collision with air gliders?

In a 1D elastic collision, the total momentum of the system (both air gliders) before and after the collision remains the same. This is due to the conservation of momentum principle.

5. What are some real-life applications of 1D elastic collisions with air gliders?

1D elastic collisions are commonly used in sports such as billiards and air hockey, where objects collide and bounce off of each other without losing energy. They are also used in engineering and design of impact-resistant materials and structures.