1 divided by infinity equals zero (always?)

njh
TL;DR Summary
1/ infinity = 0, but this seems a simplification.
I understand the mathematics that 1 divided by infinity is virtually zero and so equals zero. I look on the internet and that is the answer that I get. Is this a simplification for early mathematics learning and, if I continue, will I find a more complex answer? The reason that I ask is that I find this a simplification that does not sound right. Thank you.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You cannot divide anything by infinity since infinity isn't a number. The notation ##1/\infty =0## is a very sloppy way to write ##\displaystyle{\lim_{n \to \infty}\dfrac{1}{n}=0} ## or whatever else goes to infinity. There is no division by infinity, only the remark that ##\left|\dfrac{1}{n}-0\right|<\varepsilon ## gets arbitrarily small, but not zero.

Likes topsquark, Vanadium 50 and mcastillo356
Thank you (and incidentally, my apologies for not using mathematical notation in my question).

Likes PeroK

1. Is it true that 1 divided by infinity equals zero always?

Yes, in the context of limits in calculus, the expression 1 divided by infinity is considered to be equal to zero.

2. Why does 1 divided by infinity equal zero?

When we say 1 divided by infinity, we are essentially talking about the limit of 1 as the denominator approaches infinity. Since the denominator is getting larger and larger, the value of the fraction approaches zero.

3. Can't 1 divided by infinity be considered as approaching infinity instead of zero?

While it may seem intuitive to think that dividing a number by an infinitely large quantity should result in a large number, in the context of limits and calculus, the expression 1 divided by infinity is defined as zero due to the way limits are evaluated.

4. Does 1 divided by infinity follow the same rules as regular division?

No, dividing by infinity is a concept that arises in calculus and is based on limits, which can behave differently from regular arithmetic operations. In this context, 1 divided by infinity is defined as zero, unlike traditional division rules.

5. Is it possible for 1 divided by infinity to equal a number other than zero?

In the realm of calculus and limits, the expression 1 divided by infinity is defined to be zero. While in other contexts, infinity divided by infinity may be considered an indeterminate form, in the specific case of 1 divided by infinity, the result is always zero based on the definition of limits.