Listing of new threads since last visit

• Thread starter outandbeyond2004
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker prefers a listing of new threads since their last visit rather than a long list of new posts, some of which are in old forums they are not interested in. They suggest a filter for the posts or the option to subscribe to specific forums and check it in their user cp. The other person mentions that subscribing to a popular forum would result in a full email inbox, but the speaker clarifies that vBulletin 3 allows subscribing without receiving email notifications.
outandbeyond2004
I'd much rather get a listing of new threads since my last visit than a massive listing of new posts, most in old forums I am not interested in. Or a filter on the listing of posts would be nice.

Physics news on Phys.org
When somebody creates a new thread it automatically gets bumped up on top. If somebody replies to another thread, the newly created thread gets bumped down a notch or two, but you certainly won't miss it.

However, you can always subscribe to the forum of your choice and occassionally looked it up in your user cp.

The_Professional said:
However, you can always subscribe to the forum of your choice and occassionally looked it up in your user cp.

That's not exactly a good idea. Subscribing to a forum means that you get an email every time somebody starts a new thread. If you did that to a popular forum like general math or general physics, your email box would fill up very fast.

ShawnD said:
That's not exactly a good idea. Subscribing to a forum means that you get an email every time somebody starts a new thread. If you did that to a popular forum like general math or general physics, your email box would fill up very fast.
Not exactly, vBulletin 3 allows you to subscribe to threads or forums without getting email notifications about new postings. :smile:

1. What is the purpose of the "Listing of new threads since last visit" feature?

The purpose of the "Listing of new threads since last visit" feature is to allow users to easily see a list of all the threads that have been created or updated since their last visit to the website. This helps users stay up-to-date with the latest discussions and topics.

2. How does the website determine which threads to include in the "Listing of new threads since last visit"?

The website uses a tracking system to keep track of the user's last visit and then compares it to the date and time of each thread's creation or last update. Any threads that were created or updated after the user's last visit will be included in the list.

3. Can I customize the time period for the "Listing of new threads since last visit"?

Some websites may allow users to customize the time period for the "Listing of new threads since last visit" feature. This can typically be done in the user's account settings or preferences. However, not all websites offer this customization option.

4. Can I view the "Listing of new threads since last visit" on any page of the website?

Most websites will have a designated page or section where users can view the "Listing of new threads since last visit". This is usually a separate page from the main forums or discussions page and can be accessed through a link or button on the website's homepage.

5. Will the "Listing of new threads since last visit" feature show threads I have already viewed?

No, the "Listing of new threads since last visit" feature will only show threads that have been created or updated since your last visit. If you have already viewed a thread, it will not appear in the list, even if it has been updated by other users.