YouTube Classics, Part Deux

• Thread starter lisab
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Youtube
In summary: I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be looking at.The back of the mirrors are... interesting.I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be looking at.

Likes OmCheeto
Physics news on Phys.org
Battlebots has got to be my favorite show on TV.
From last week, I thought a flamethrower was pretty interesting weapon until this battle.

This week, I saw a robot use a garden rake to swat a drone from the sky. :oldlaugh:

Likes nsaspook

I like this. But I wonder: Is it possible to get the liquid that humans have in their stomach? You know, to make it more accurate? I'm not the biology knowledgeable kind of person, so I wonder. Also I don't know if it will be that transparent. If it's not it will defeat the purpose of observation.

It's still pretty cool watching them on water.

Psinter said:
...But I wonder: Is it possible to get the liquid that humans have in their stomach? ...
It's pepsin and gastric juice (HCl).

Likes Psinter

Likes jim hardy
Hmm

that "Life is like Coffee" said at 3:10 it's presented by "Ozarks Sentinel"
the newspaper of Houston MO, a small town not far away . Hometown of Emmett Kelly .

makes me think of Gerry Rafferty's line in "Baker Street"
And then he'll settle down, it's a quiet little town
And forget about everything

Ozarks is a good place to do that.

Likes dlgoff and OmCheeto

Likes Pepper Mint and OmCheeto

well you can see the car's appearance change from a 'low rider' to normal ride height as they get out

so i'd say they really packed those guys in there ...

Teenagers are alike world over.

Likes Pepper Mint

Likes OmCheeto
nsaspook said:

Reminds me on Eddie:

Likes nsaspook
fresh_42 said:
Reminds me of Eddie:

When I think of the time I wasted watching that movie at 'The Ken' in San Diego, it makes me smile. o0)

nsaspook said:
When I think of the time I wasted watching that movie at 'The Ken' in San Diego, it makes me smile. o0)
Thank you. I noticed. (And no, this is NOT ironic.)

1:33 - I like it when I'm told to get myself a little something. He is a generous boss.

Is your boss that generous too? :oldlaugh:

I just love this kind of innovation. :oldtongue:

Likes DennisN and nsaspook
Likes nsaspook and micromass
nsaspook said:
RIP Bob Hoover

Wow! Bob Hoover ...
i saw him do his aerobatics show at an air racein 1976, he was no spring chicken then. He did his amazing performance in an Aero Commander Shrike.
Someplace i have a photo of his P51 "Old Yeller" at end of runway maybe as much as fifty feet in the air , landing gear fully extended and upside down in a final approach barrel roll..

An amazing man and a legend. Sorry to hear of his passing.

old jim

jim hardy said:
Yes he was!... and so am I ...[COLOR=#black].[/COLOR]:oldfrown:

bob_hoover_oshkosh.jpg

jim hardy said:
Wow! Bob Hoover ...
i saw him do his aerobatics show at an air racein 1976, he was no spring chicken then. He did his amazing performance in an Aero Commander Shrike.
Someplace i have a photo of his P51 "Old Yeller" at end of runway maybe as much as fifty feet in the air , landing gear fully extended and upside down in a final approach barrel roll..

old jim

I went to a couple of air-race events in Homestead, Fl in the 70's while stationed in Key West. I can't remember if he was there doing aerobatics but the 79 Unlimiteds-only racing event was a wonder (The P-38 Lightning could bank like crazy).

m79cover-dawson.jpg

http://www.pylon1.org/articles/publish/printer_28.shtml
Their next air racing foray would take place closer to home that following Spring, during the fantastic, but under-promoted Unlimiteds-only meet staged by Ft. Lauderdale's- Whittington Brothers: the 1979 Miami/Homestead International Air Races held at Florida's Homestead Airport, Feb. 26 - March 4. This time the racers were challenged by having to fly a 7-mile oval course, designed with three pylons at each end with a mile and a half long front and back straight-away, compared to Reno's then- 9.694mi. race course. Though the shorter course promised tighter competition and fewer blown engines, it demanded superior piloting skill and greater conditioning, to endure higher g-forces encountered while flying tighter turns on a smaller course during 10-lap races. The qualifying field allowed for 28 aircraft- divided into four 7-plane race brackets using the 'bump system', with the top five qualifiers locked-in for the Gold final.

Last edited:
nsaspook said:
I went to a couple of air-race events in Homestead, Fl in the 70's while stationed in Key West.

I was at the Pylon races at Homestead in i think 1976 (edit : I've forgotten the year, could have been '79 ) when i lived there. Hoover was there, Boyington, Beede's BD5 jets, Confederate Air Force with their B29; it's among the most awesome memories of my life. Sounds like you probably were there too .
Red Baron, a P51 with counter-rotating props won the big trophy. If you ever pass through Alpine Wyoming (Between Idaho Falls and Jackson Hole) that trophy and a lot of memorabilia are on display in the "Red Baron" restaurant. Must see for aviation buffs who remember that day .
RedBaron.jpg

see also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Baron_(racer)

old jim

Last edited:
Likes nsaspook
jim hardy said:
I was at the Pylon races at Homestead in i think 1976 (edit : I've forgotten the year, could have been '79 ) when i lived there. Hoover was there, Boyington, Beede's BD5 jets, Confederate Air Force with their B29; it's among the most awesome memories of my life. Sounds like you probably were there too .
Red Baron, a P51 with counter-rotating props won the big trophy. If you ever pass through Alpine Wyoming (Between Idaho Falls and Jackson Hole) that trophy and a lot of memorabilia are on display in the "Red Baron" restaurant. Must see for aviation buffs who remember that day .
View attachment 108044

see also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Baron_(racer)

old jim

I remember those tiny jets buzzing the strip and the Confederate Air Force dropping 'bomb's'. Yes, I was there, as were plenty of guys from the Keys Naval Air Station. Most of us rode motorcycles up U.S. Route 1 for the trip and stayed at the Navy Security Group housing at the nearby AFB (destroyed by Andrew later) for the show. That race/show was over the top awesome!

Likes jim hardy
Look! Baby chickens! :bow:

Hey, you. I want to touch one of the baby chickens.

Likes DennisN

Likes DennisN, OmCheeto, nsaspook and 1 other person
Who needs a knife in a nuke fight? :biggrin:

(from "Starship Troopers")

Likes OmCheeto and nsaspook

Likes DennisN and OmCheeto
It's election times in the US. Here's a classic clip from the previous campaign four years ago:

Likes nsaspook and OmCheeto

Likes jim hardy and OmCheeto
Couch Commander:

Likes fresh_42, Borg, nsaspook and 1 other person
Or this one (hope it's not a repetition):

Likes DennisN
Mic In Tuba (you can jump to 30 seconds into the clip...)

Likes nsaspook
He went tuba fishing.

Likes DennisN