Why Do People Hate Football?

• Thread starter arildno
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thread
In summary: I put my left boot on. I don't know why, but that's just how I always did it.In summary, the "I loathe football" thread discusses the reasons why people hate football and how it is different from other sports. People also share their favorite quotes about football.
Echo 6 Sierra said:
Who are the guys near the goals wearing white labcoats with pancake hats that when a goal is made take a quick step forward and make a chopping-like hand signal where their arms both wind up parallel to the ground? Maybe its that game where its a cross between field hockey, baseball, and rugby I used to see on the Irish channel. Meh, like I know sports anyway.
Like Shmoe said, it sounds like Aussie rules footie, especially if the field is oval and there are 4 posts at each end, two tall in between to short. A goal (6 points) is scored between the two tall posts, and point is scored between the tall and shorter posts.

Physics news on Phys.org
shmoe said:
At it's best, football (the soccer kind) earns the "beautiful game" nickname. The World Cup always features some mind blowing feats of skill.

At it's worst, some players deserve whatever horrible sissy comments directed towards them. It's amazing when a player can be virtually unstoppable strength/speed/skillwise in the midfield, yet trips over grass in the penalty area, writhes in horrible agony, pleads to the referee, then gets up and takes the free kick. What bugs me the most though is the shirt pulling. It bugs me because it ends up being emulated by amateur players everywhere, and I have no tolerance for this (or any other unsportsmanlike garbage) when playing.
Yeah, I'd agree with that assessment. :biggrin:

So are we all in agreeance that I hate soccer?

Astronuc said:
Like Shmoe said, it sounds like Aussie rules footie, especially if the field is oval and there are 4 posts at each end, two tall in between to short. A goal (6 points) is scored between the two tall posts, and point is scored between the tall and shorter posts.
That's probably it. I can remember a player holding the "ball" in one hand and bopping it to pass it to another player and the goal posts were the H kind and tall and skinny.

Pengwuino said:
So are we all in agreeance that I hate soccer?

Lets thank god that My hatred of American football and baseball is enough to cancel out the evilness of you're hatred of 'soccer'.

Bladibla said:
Lets thank god that My hatred of American football and baseball is enough to cancel out the evilness of you're hatred of 'soccer'.

I think our mutual hatred of baseball should combine to create the ultimate force!

Pengwuino said:
I think our mutual hatred of baseball should combine to create the ultimate force!

Hmph. But the art of baseball is so heretical that even the combined power will not be able to stop such vile vocabulary such as the 'home-run' and 'safe'.

Bladibla said:
Hmph. But the art of baseball is so heretical that even the combined power will not be able to stop such vile vocabulary such as the 'home-run' and 'safe'.

Safe is vile? :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

"team sports are for people who can't do things for themselves".

Oh i know who said that, it was an egotistical loner.

Before you slag of football (too late) remember that American football is a game played by a bunch of ladymen that arent tough enough to play rugby. Baseball originates from a womans game (rounders). And basketball is a non contact sport. Wheres the fun in any of them?

Maybe i was watching a different version of rugby.. but is it just me or is rugby just a lot of hugging and male sexuality being unleashed?

Pengwuino said:
Maybe i was watching a different version of rugby.. but is it just me or is rugby just a lot of hugging and male sexuality being unleashed?
Sounds like a good analogy to rugby union. Rugby league is a far more heterosexual and manly game.

#Prepares for verbal onslaught form Anttech#

Hootenanny said:
Sounds like a good analogy to rugby union. Rugby league is a far more heterosexual and manly game.

#Prepares for verbal onslaught form Anttech#

*tosses hoot a kevlar vest* good luck!

people posting in this thread are only women or guyZ
rarely see a man who says he hates football which is clearly containing a part of his

Mollet1955 said:
people posting in this thread are only women or guyZ
rarely see a man who says he hates football which is clearly containing a part of his

What language was that in?

beautiful English verse

Pengwuino said:
*tosses hoot a kevlar vest* good luck!
Cheers! I've got my kevlar vest, my M60 with ammunition belt, several grenades stuffed into my pockets (with the saftey pins in) and my bandana on; I'm ready to rock and roll!:-p
Mollet1955 said:
beautiful English verse
I can assure you that it is neither beautiful, nor english verse:-p Perhaps we could get a translator in here?

What sports do you non-football liking people like then?

Now that's good english.

Andy said:

Now that's good english.

Well, I'm really not that into sports anymore, but if I do watch a sport then it will be REAL football (american football).:wink:

Andy said:

Now that's good english.
I wouldn't even notice if all sports suddenly disappeared overnight, other than the pool of available men out somewhere away from their TV where I can find them might increase exponentially! :biggrin:

If they held the Super Bowl in my backyard, I wouldn't look out the window.

Artman said:
If they held the Super Bowl in my backyard, I wouldn't look out the window.
I might...to yell for them to shut up and turn out the lights! :smile:

Sorry Anttech (and rugby playing friends), I wouldn't normally post these things that do the email rounds, but they might be apt here -
The Super 14 quotes of the year...

"Nobody in Rugby should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." - Jono Gibbs - Chiefs

"I'm going to graduate on time, no matter how long it takes." - Rodney So'ialo - Hurricanes - on University

"You guys line up alphabetically by height." and "You guys pair up in groups of three, then line up in a circle." - Colin Cooper - Hurricanes head coach

Chris Masoe (Hurricanes) on whether he had visited the Pyramids during his visit to Egypt: "I can't really remember the names of the clubs that we went to."

"He's a guy who gets up at six o'clock in the morning regardless of what time it is." - Colin Cooper on Paul Tito

Kevin Senio (Auckland), on Night Rugby vs Day Games "It's basically the same, just darker."

David Nucifora (Auckland) talking about Troy Flavell "I told him, 'Son, what is it with you. Is it ignorance or apathy?' He said, 'David, I don't know and I don't care.'

David Holwell (Hurricanes) when asked about the upcoming season: "I want to reach for 150 or 200 points this season, whichever comes first."

"Andy Ellis - the 21 year old, who turned 22 a few weeks ago"(Murray Mexted)

"Colin has done a bit of mental arithmetic with a calculator." (Ma Nonu)

"He scored that try after only 22 seconds - totally against the run of play." (Murray Mexted)

"We actually got the winning try three minutes from the end but then they scored." (Tana Umaga)

"I've never had major knee surgery on any other part of my body." (Jerry Collins)

"That kick was absolutely unique, except for the one before it which was identical." (Tony Brown)

"I owe a lot to my parents, especially my mother and father." (Tana Umaga)

"Sure there have been injuries and deaths in rugby - but none of them serious." (Doc Mayhew)

"If history repeats itself, I should think we can expect the same thing again."(Anton Oliver)

"I would not say he (Rico Gear) is the best left winger in the Super 14, but there are none better." (Murray Mexted)

"I never comment on referees and I'm not going to break the habit of a lifetime for that prat, Kaplan." (Ewan McKenzie)

Murray Deaker: "Have you ever thought of writing your autobiography?"
Tana Umaga: "On what ?"

"Well, either side could win it, or it could be a draw."(Murray Mexted)

"Strangely, in slow motion replay, the ball seemed to hang in the air for even longer."(Murray Mexted)

shmoe said:
At it's best, football (the soccer kind) earns the "beautiful game" nickname. The World Cup always features some mind blowing feats of skill.

At it's worst, some players deserve whatever horrible sissy comments directed towards them. It's amazing when a player can be virtually unstoppable strength/speed/skillwise in the midfield, yet trips over grass in the penalty area, writhes in horrible agony, pleads to the referee, then gets up and takes the free kick. What bugs me the most though is the shirt pulling. It bugs me because it ends up being emulated by amateur players everywhere, and I have no tolerance for this (or any other unsportsmanlike garbage) when playing.

Artgentina boast some of the finest actors in football, all from the Maradonas academy of fooling the ref, the frequency with which they go to grass leaves me wondering if they are in fact akin to worms or snakes as they appear unable to stay on there feet if a tiny wind from a player 3 feet away desturbs the fragile aura around the player. Most memorable acting I've ever seen was when some player got a light tap on his calf in admonishment from a player he'd jut fowled and fell to rolling about and screaming with such vigour that the ref assumed he was about to die and carded and sent off the player on the ground, which put pay to any chance of us winning the game, damned cheats!

Schrodinger's Dog said:
Artgentina boast some of the finest actors in football, all from the Maradonas academy of fooling the ref, the frequency with which they go to grass leaves me wondering if they are in fact akin to worms or snakes as they appear unable to stay on there feet if a tiny wind from a player 3 feet away desturbs the fragile aura around the player. Most memorable acting I've ever seen was when some player got a light tap on his calf in admonishment from a player he'd jut fowled and fell to rolling about and screaming with such vigour that the ref assumed he was about to die and carded and sent off the player on the ground, which put pay to any chance of us winning the game, damned cheats!

Yeah well Beckham should have known better... England, always excuses ehh?

Last edited:

The Hugging is called scrumaging.. And it can be a tad wee bitty soar. And yes there is a lot of testosteron beging unleashed, you shouldn't probably play..

Anttech said:
there just corrected some spelling, I know you are from the midlands so I'll excuse that fact you brain is rather small
Manily isn't a word my little scotsman :-p. I presume you meant to say mainly, we shall have to make exceptions for your poor grasp of the english language, perhaps if we spoke in gaelic for you?

Scots actually me sasinak mucker.. I'm fea glasgie, they spreaken gaelic in the highlands.

Last edited:
fi said:
Sorry Anttech (and rugby playing friends), I wouldn't normally post these things that do the email rounds, but they might be apt here -
The Super 14 quotes of the year...

"Nobody in Rugby should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." - Jono Gibbs - Chiefs

"Strangely, in slow motion replay, the ball seemed to hang in the air for even longer."(Murray Mexted)
Wow, Joe Theismann and Jono Gibbs must have been Siamese twins, only born in different continents. And David Acfield, the soccer commentator, was also perceptive enough to notice things seem to happen slower in slow motion replays. :smile:

Still, the best image I've heard was provided by Barry Davies about the Netherlands team, "'The Dutch fans look like a huge jar of marmalade". :smile:

Well, second most. George Hamilton's description of Madrid was better, "Madrid are like a rabbit dazed in the headlights of a car, except this rabbit has a suit of armour, in the shape of two precious away goals."

If only Greece were playing in the World Cup, we could hear comments like Gerald Sinstadt's, "If ever the Greeks needed a Trojan horse, it is now."

And, of course, who could forget that high scoring game that inspired Ian Darke to observe, "And with just 4 minutes gone, the score is already 0-0."

Although Moonbear and the other football-haters may tend to agree with Alistair Alexander's sentiments, "Four minutes to go... four long minutes... three-hundred and sixty seconds..."

But the one quote that just seems depressing enough to turn me off of soccer completely is, "The USA are a goal down, and if they don't get a goal they'll lose." :frown:

Last edited:
Best line in the whole thread. I think I'll post it in the favorite quotes thread. :biggrin:

Julian Dicks is everywhere, it's like they've got eleven Dicks on the field.

:smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: