Why Do People Hate Football?

• Thread starter arildno
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thread
In summary: I put my left boot on. I don't know why, but that's just how I always did it.In summary, the "I loathe football" thread discusses the reasons why people hate football and how it is different from other sports. People also share their favorite quotes about football.
arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
The "I loathe football" thread.

This will be a gathering place for all of us who hate football.
Post your snide comments, sarcasms or just express your anguish that otherwise intelligent and well-balanced individuals are now totally f***ed up. :smile: :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not against soccer, I like it, but I really dislike watching it on tv. It's just lame, watching people running for the ball entire 90 minutes. The key is to do, not to watch. Anyway, I also enjoy the bettings, don't consider it lame. It's just fun. What are your arguments against either playing or watching soccer?

heartless said:
What are your arguments against either playing or watching soccer?
Having an actual argument over the topic is even more pointless than ranting about it.

I think the players and the games are OK, though not interesting enough for me to devote time to watching them. But all these self proclaimed experts and their speculative predictions -- what's to like? It's at the same level as supermarket tabloids.

selfAdjoint said:
I think the players and the games are OK, though not interesting enough for me to devote time to watching them. But all these self proclaimed experts and their speculative predictions -- what's to like? It's at the same level as supermarket tabloids.

Not true. Most commentators and experts mostly are past players (of a high prestige) and are even coaches for teams.

selfAdjoint said:
Agreed. Actually, I wouldn't have even wandered into this forum if someone hadn't asked if there was a problem posting new threads here. But, since I see arildno managed to start one, question answered. But, then I feel the same way about all sports. At least some are played in the late Fall and Winter when you can understand a bit more motivation to stay inside and watch TV rather than going outside to do stuff, but this time of year, nobody should be sitting inside glued to a TV for hours on end.

A famous mountaineer friend of mine said, at the time of Euro 96, "team sports are for people who can't do things for themselves".

At least some are played in the late Fall and Winter when you can understand a bit more motivation to stay inside and watch TV rather than going outside to do stuff, but this time of year, nobody should be sitting inside glued to a TV for hours on end.

Bit like posting on a forum? The world cup is the biggest sporting event since the olympics. Come on give us some slack :)

Moonbear said:
Agreed. Actually, I wouldn't have even wandered into this forum if someone hadn't asked if there was a problem posting new threads here. But, since I see arildno managed to start one, question answered. But, then I feel the same way about all sports. At least some are played in the late Fall and Winter when you can understand a bit more motivation to stay inside and watch TV rather than going outside to do stuff, but this time of year, nobody should be sitting inside glued to a TV for hours on end.

90 mins isn't really hours and isn't really that long (even with consecutive football matches, 2 matches a day is pretty good) and I think it's just plain wrong that I should 'rather go out and do something' during the summer times. I like to watch football at the highest level as shown in the world cup. The feeling of excitment and competition against others is unrivalled compared to playing normal team games with other people you know around you. Although I do partly understand your point in terms of JUST sitting around and doing jack all for the summers, I think it's safe to say that the world cup cannot be included into this.

This will be a gathering place for all of us who hate football.

Football's great, it's just soccer I can't stand. :wink:

Is this becoming an anti-sports thread?

Some quotes you may like, note that football refers to the terrible game of soccer not the fantastic game of American Football that is almost as good as Rugby League.

Merle Kessler said:
“Football players, like prostitutes, are in the business of ruining their bodies for the pleasure of strangers”
Erma Bombeck/ said:
“If a man watches three football games in a row, he should be declared legally dead.”
My personal favourite;
Joe Theismann said:
Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein.
David Beckham said:
'I definitely want Brooklyn to be christened, but I don't know into what religion yet.'
Barry Venison said:
I always used to put my right boot on first, and then obviously my right sock.
Thierry Henry said:
'Sometimes in football you have to score goals.'
"If England are going to win this match, they're going to have to score a goal."
Julian Dicks is everywhere, it's like they've got eleven Dicks on the field."

-Job- said:
Certainly not anti-sport, just anti football (soccer); in fact I don't think soccer should be classed as a sport. It's more of a pass-time really. :-p

Are you trying to annoy me or something?

-Job- said:
It's supposed to be...or at least anti-football/soccer. I can't help it if people who actually like the sport keep butting in even though they have plenty of other threads to post in here. :rolleyes:

If you like football/soccer, go back to watching your TVs and let us complain in peace. :-p

brewnog said:
A famous mountaineer friend of mine said, at the time of Euro 96, "team sports are for people who can't do things for themselves".
:smile: I like that.

brewnog said:

Sounds like a real social guy.

Moonbear said:
I can't help it if people who actually like the sport keep butting in even though they have plenty of other threads to post in here. :rolleyes:
Well I know when I'm not wanted... :frown:

To all the folks here, my condolences. http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6063478215160948442

Last edited by a moderator:
Gokul43201 said:
To all the folks here, my condolences. http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6063478215160948442
Very funny Gokul, here's one for you

http://macteens.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10327/cisse.jpg

That picture made me a little lightheaded. At first i thought "what's wrong with this?", but then i realized that wasn't his knee.
Actually, the injured player, Cisse, just suffered another such injury last week or so. Poor guy:
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,19402368-23215,00.html

-Job- said:
That picture made me a little lightheaded. At first i thought "what's wrong with this?", but then i realized that wasn't his knee.
Actually, the injured player, Cisse, just suffered another such injury last week or so. Poor guy:

yeah I was watching, same injury however its on the other leg

Last edited:
Hootenanny said:
Some quotes you may like, note that football refers to the terrible game of soccer not the fantastic game of American Football that is almost as good as Rugby League.

Which is not really almost as good as footy.

Union is far superior :)

Anttech said:
Union is far superior :)
Let us not get started on this debate. Rugby union should be called either "15-a-side-tennis" or "kick n' clap". League is superior in every way, speed, skills and strength. The only advantage union players have is weight. :-p

Definition of a football player, a butch fairy.

I used to love watching baseball and football - real football like that played in the US - but got away from it almost completely by my early twenties. Now it just ticks me off when something important like a fifteenth time re-run of X-Files is preempted by a ball game.

Hootenanny said:
Very funny Gokul, here's one for you
I've seen that happen once in person, and a friend of mine had it happen, but both times the other person was kicking from the front.

In the first case, the guy with the broken leg only had his tibia broken. He dropped quickly to the ground and grabbed his leg.

In the second case, the friend of mine was running and managed to take an extra step after both the tibia and fibula were broken. Both bones broke the skin just below the knee - the tibia in front and fibula out the back side.

I enjoy watching football (soccer), but prefer to play it.

Hootenanny said:
My personal favourite;
those were great! :smile: :smile:

-Job- said:
Well, that leaves little choice, either shoot him or put him out to stud. :rolleyes: The sisterhood will confer with arildno to come to a final decision.

Soccer is one of the most boring games i have ever seen in my life. I mean what is this, 3-1 is a blowout? And its like the whole world is put on hold for this little joke of a world cup thing. I start to wonder if the world cup takes more lives then cancer even though i wonder if they are one in the same.

Soccer players are incredible athletes, American football players just aren't in the same league - skill wise.

I dated a German pro soccer player from Australia once. He didn't even feel human, his entire body was as hard as stone, it was actually a bit creepy.

Evo said:
Soccer players are incredible athletes, American football players just aren't in the same league - skill wise.

thats a rather unfair generalization

Pengwuino said:
thats a rather unfair generalization
Watch the video Gokul posted, and tell me a football player could do that.

Pengwuino said:
Soccer is one of the most boring games i have ever seen in my life.
I actually enjoy going to a game, but televised sports...meh. But, that might be because the soccer games I went to were in a much smaller stadium than football games, so you're right down close to all the action (and the soccer players with hot bodies and uniforms that show them off unlike American football players that are all hidden under padding). Or maybe it's because when I was going to the college soccer games, it was when Alexi Lalas was one of the Rutgers players. :!) :!)