Which engineering/science uses this the most?

In summary, the conversation revolves around a mechanical engineering student who is interested in solving problems involving a lot of equations, substitution, and differential equations. They have considered chemical engineering, electrical engineering, and physics as potential majors, but are unsure due to concerns about job prospects and salary. The conversation also touches on the heavy use of math in chemical engineering and electrical engineering, as well as the potential for more mathematical courses in mechanical engineering.
zachdr1
So I am currently a very indecisive mechanical engineering student, who can't figure out what to major in. I have found out that I am much more interested in solving problems that deal with a lot of equations, substitution, and differential equations than I am solving statics problems.

I like classes like statics and mechanics of materials, don't get me wrong, it just gets boring after a while; I feel like I'm solving the same problem over and over again using barely any math.

So pretty much, my question is: which engineering/science solves problems that involve a lot of math, equations, calculus, etc.. An example of a problem like this, would be this basic kinematics problem:

Engineers analyzing the motion of a linkage determine that the velocity of an attachment point is given by v = A + 4s2 m/s, where A is a constant. When s = 2m, its acceleration is measured and determined to be 320 m/s2 . What is the velocity of the point when s = 2m?

Physics news on Phys.org
You should give chemical engineering a try. You will spend most of your junior year dealing with transport phenomena (momentum, heat, and mass transport), which are heavily based on calculus and differential equations. Then there's reactor design, which also relies on DE. You will also encounter some differential equations while designing continuous contact equipment for unit operations. Check out the textbook Transport Phenomena by BSL, to get a glimpse of the math you would be dealing with as a ChemE major.

Good luck!

There is more good math needed in electrical engineering or physics.

MexChemE said:
You should give chemical engineering a try. You will spend most of your junior year dealing with transport phenomena (momentum, heat, and mass transport), which are heavily based on calculus and differential equations. Then there's reactor design, which also relies on DE. You will also encounter some differential equations while designing continuous contact equipment for unit operations. Check out the textbook Transport Phenomena by BSL, to get a glimpse of the math you would be dealing with as a ChemE major.

Good luck!
I was actually thinking about doing ChemE a while back. I'm really not sure if I'm interested in the kind of stuff you would be working on as a ChemE though. I did check out that text and it looks interesting. Thank you though!

There is more good math needed in electrical engineering or physics.

I was actually considering electrical engineering, and I think physics is what I really want to do, but I really don't want to ever have to worry too much about money if I don't have to. It seems that everything I want to study in physics leads to me being stuck in a post doc research position.

There is a lot of interesting math in Electrical Engineering, especially as you get into upper division courses.

I also believe that Mechanical Engineering becomes much more mathematical when you take classes like dynamics.

Related to Which engineering/science uses this the most?

1. Which engineering/science field uses coding the most?

The field of computer science and software engineering uses coding the most. These disciplines rely heavily on computer programming to develop and maintain software and technology systems.

2. Which engineering/science field uses mathematics the most?

Mathematics is used extensively in many engineering and science fields, but it is most frequently used in the fields of physics, chemistry, and mechanical engineering.

3. Which engineering/science field uses experiments the most?

The field of biology uses experiments the most, as it involves conducting experiments to study living organisms and their processes. Other disciplines that frequently use experiments include chemistry, physics, and environmental science.

4. Which engineering/science field uses data analysis the most?

Data analysis is a crucial aspect of many engineering and science fields, but it is most commonly used in fields such as statistics, computer science, and data science. These disciplines use data analysis to make sense of large amounts of data and draw meaningful conclusions.

5. Which engineering/science field uses design the most?

The field of engineering design is dedicated to creating and developing new products, structures, and systems. It is used most frequently in disciplines such as mechanical engineering, civil engineering, and electrical engineering.