What's a quick way to brush up on math and physics?

In summary, the conversation discusses ways to brush up on math and physics after many years, specifically through free online programs or games. However, it is suggested that a textbook and practice problems are the best way to refresh knowledge. Suggestions for specific textbooks and calculators are also given.
Bigheadrhino
Math and physics were my favorite subjects in high school, and I did quite well, getting 5 on both my Calculus and Physics AP exams. But that was over ten years ago.. any quick way to brush up? Any good free online programs or games?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Bigheadrhino said:
Math and physics were my favorite subjects in high school, and I did quite well, getting 5 on both my Calculus and Physics AP exams. But that was over ten years ago.. any quick way to brush up? Any good free online programs or games?

Thanks!

Not free, but inexpensive (especially used or checked out of your library) -- the "Forgotten XXXX" series of books:

http://search.store.yahoo.net/barronseduc/cgi-bin/nsearch?catalog=barronseduc&query=forgotten

Khan Academy is lame. It's extremely superficial.

bcrowell said:
Khan Academy is lame. It's extremely superficial.

I agree. While Khan academy can be excellent as an extra source of information, it should never be used as a primary source.

I'm afraid you will have to get a textbook and work through it. I like "Basic Mathematics" by Serge Lang and it's an excellent textbook to refresh your knowledge.

I agree Khan Academy isn't any good if you want to learn something new, but it's been great in terms of easy access to practice problems and reviewing stuff I haven't touched in ten years. And now that I've used it to brush up, I find it easier to understand the textbooks.

Also it doesn't cost $100 (New Zealand Dollars) second hand like Serge Lang's book :-\ although I'd love to get my hands on a copy.

Thanks for all the advice. Forgotten Algebra and Forgotten Calculus just arrived today. Looks promising. What kind of Graphing Calculator should I get?

Bigheadrhino said:
Thanks for all the advice. Forgotten Algebra and Forgotten Calculus just arrived today. Looks promising. What kind of Graphing Calculator should I get?
If you have consistent access to a computer, you probably don't need one.

Check out http://www.wolframalpha.com/ !

Thanks, I would like the option of doing these problem sets away from the computer as well though. I want to pursue a Mechanical Engineering degree so... TI-89?

Bigheadrhino said:
Thanks, I would like the option of doing these problem sets away from the computer as well though. I want to pursue a Mechanical Engineering degree so... TI-89?
That really depends on the calculator policy of the school you enroll in. I know many won't let you use the TI-89. TI-83/84 is usually all they allow. I have both. If you get the TI-89 for brush-up and review, be aware that menus, input, and operations are different enough that the TI-83/84 can be unfamiliar.

Related to What's a quick way to brush up on math and physics?

1. What resources can I use to quickly brush up on math and physics?

There are many resources available to help you quickly brush up on math and physics. Some popular options include online tutorials, practice problems and quizzes, textbooks and study guides, and video lectures. You can also consider joining a study group or hiring a tutor for personalized help.

2. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in math and physics?

One of the best ways to improve your problem-solving skills in math and physics is to practice regularly. Try solving a variety of problems, including those that are more challenging. You can also try breaking down problems into smaller, more manageable steps and using different strategies to solve them.

3. Is there a specific order in which I should study math and physics topics?

It is generally recommended to start with the basics and build a strong foundation before moving on to more advanced topics. However, the specific order in which you study math and physics topics may depend on your personal goals and learning style. It can be helpful to consult with a teacher or tutor for guidance on the best sequence for your specific needs.

4. How can I stay motivated while studying math and physics?

Staying motivated while studying math and physics can be challenging, but there are a few things you can do to help. Set specific goals for yourself, break up your study sessions into manageable chunks, and reward yourself for meeting your goals. It can also be helpful to find a study partner or join a study group to keep each other accountable.

5. Are there any shortcuts or tricks for understanding difficult math and physics concepts?

While there is no one-size-fits-all shortcut or trick for understanding difficult math and physics concepts, there are some strategies you can try. These include breaking down the concept into smaller, more manageable parts, using visual aids or real-life examples, and practicing regularly. It can also be helpful to seek help from a teacher or tutor if you are struggling with a specific concept.