What is the Equilibrium Temperature of Gas between Boxes?

In summary: If you only want the average energy per molecule that passes through the hole, then the speed distribution is not Maxwellian and the additional factor of v is needed.
unscientific

Homework Statement

Part(a): explain the meaning of f(v) and A.

Part(b): Gas from surrounding air effuse into a box; find the temperature in the box.

Part (c): Explain why initial temperature of gas escaping from first box into second is the same as temperature in first box.

Part (d): Find equilibrium temperature of second box after a long time.

2wqwv9w.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Part(b)

[tex]Flux = \frac{1}{4}n<v> = \frac{1}{4} \frac {P_{air}}{kT_{air}} <v_{air}> [/tex]

I assume RHS is constant, so flux entering the chamber is constant as the surrounding air is much more massive than the box.

[tex]\frac{PV}{kT} = \frac{1}{4} \frac {P_{air}}{kT_{air}} <v_{air}> [/tex]

If the box is thermally isolated, I can't assume temperature of box = temperature of air. Also, I do not know the pressure in the box. Without the pressure, I can't solve for temperature.

Part(c)

I suppose temperature is the measure of average KE of molecules, so the first few molecules escaping into the second box should have the same temperature as molecules in the first box. After some time, the temperature changes because pressure inside second box changes?

Part(d)

After a long time, equilibrium has been established.

Flux out of second box = flux into second box
[tex] \frac{1}{4}n_2<v_2> = \frac{1}{4}n_1<v_1> [/tex]
[tex] \frac {P_2}{T_2} (\sqrt{T_2}) = \frac {P_1}{T_1} (\sqrt{T_1}) [/tex]
[tex]\frac {P_2}{\sqrt{T_2}} = \frac {P_1}{\sqrt{T_1}} [/tex]

I'm not sure what the pressures are...

Physics news on Phys.org
I've been thinking, is it okay to assume for part (b) that the pressure in both boxes are equal?

unscientific said:
If the box is thermally isolated, I can't assume temperature of box = temperature of air. Also, I do not know the pressure in the box. Without the pressure, I can't solve for temperature.

The temperature of an ideal gas is related to the average kinetic energy per molecule. Try to determine the average energy per molecule of the molecules that pass through the hole into chamber 1. This can be done using the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution ##f(\vec{v}) \equiv f(v_x, v_y, v_z)##.

(The average energy per molecule passing through the hole is not the same as the average energy per molecule in the air outside.)

TSny said:
The temperature of an ideal gas is related to the average kinetic energy per molecule. Try to determine the average energy per molecule of the molecules that pass through the hole into chamber 1. This can be done using the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution ##f(\vec{v}) \equiv f(v_x, v_y, v_z)##.

(The average energy per molecule passing through the hole is not the same as the average energy per molecule in the air outside.)

The resulting speed distribution of particles hitting the wall is non-maxwellian.
In fact, it incurs an additional factor of v, so speed distribution ##f_{(v^2)} \propto v^3 e^{-\alpha v^2} = Av^3 e^{-\alpha v^2}##.

To find coefficient A, i integrate from 0 to infinity and set = 1.

[tex]\frac{1}{2}m<v^2> = \frac{1}{2}m \int_0^{\infty}A v^5e^{-\alpha v^2} dv [/tex]

[tex]<E'> = \frac{1}{2}m \int_0^{\infty}A v^5e^{-\alpha v^2} dv = 2kT [/tex]

To recast this in the form of ##<E'> = \frac{3}{2}kT'##:

[tex]2kT = \frac{3}{2}kT'[/tex]

Thus, ##T'= \frac{4}{3}T##

Last edited:
EDITED. The answer looks correct to me for monatomic molecules, but I'm not following your calculation. How did you take into account that you only want the average energy per molecule that passes through the hole? I guess your starting expression ##Av^3 e^{-\alpha v^2}## comes from a separate analysis for the rate at which molecules would pass through the hole.

There is an additional complication if you want to treat the molecules as diatomic with rotational degrees of freedom. (The problem statement mentions nitrogen.) I don't know if you are meant to take that into account.

Last edited:

Related to What is the Equilibrium Temperature of Gas between Boxes?

1. What is effusion of gas between boxes?

Effusion of gas between boxes refers to the movement of gas particles from one box or container to another through a small opening. This process is driven by differences in pressure between the two boxes and is a result of the kinetic energy of the gas particles.

2. What factors affect the rate of effusion?

The rate of effusion is affected by the size of the opening between the boxes, the temperature of the gas, and the molecular weight of the gas particles. Smaller openings, higher temperatures, and lighter gas particles will result in a faster effusion rate.

3. How does Graham's Law relate to effusion of gas between boxes?

Graham's Law states that the rate of effusion of a gas is inversely proportional to the square root of its molecular weight. This means that lighter gas particles will effuse faster than heavier gas particles, and this relationship is applicable in the effusion of gas between boxes.

4. What is the difference between effusion and diffusion of gas?

Effusion and diffusion both involve the movement of gas particles, but they differ in their mechanisms. Effusion refers to the movement of gas particles through a small opening, while diffusion refers to the mixing of gas particles throughout a space. Effusion is driven by pressure differences, while diffusion is driven by concentration differences.

5. What are some real-world applications of effusion of gas between boxes?

Effusion of gas between boxes is a phenomenon that is commonly seen in everyday life. Some examples include the release of gases from a pressurized container, the movement of air through a small opening in a room, and the diffusion of perfume or cologne from a bottle. In scientific research, effusion is also used in gas chromatography to separate and analyze different components of a gas mixture.