Effusion of molecules into a Box through a hole

In summary, a container of volume 10^-3 m^3 with a pressure of 10^-7 mbar is surrounded by air at 1 bar and 290 K. With a small hole of area 10^-17 m^2, the pressure inside will rise to 10^-6 mbar when air effuses through it. The flux of molecules entering the container through the hole is given by ø = 1/4 * n_air * <v>, and using the continuity equation and assuming the temperature in the container is the same as the surrounding air, the time it takes for the pressure to rise is calculated to be 1.94 * 10^12 seconds. It is also assumed that the number density and temperature
unscientific

Homework Statement

A container of volume 10−3 m3 has a pressure of 10−7 mbar.
Surrounded by air at 1 bar and 290 K, how long does it take the pressure inside to rise to 10−6 mbar when air effuses through a small hole of area 10−17 m2?

10xx4e1.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]Flux ø = \frac{1}{4}n<v> [/tex]

Starting from continuity equation:

[tex]øA = -\frac{dN}{dt}[/tex]
[tex]\frac {1}{4} \frac{NA}{V}<v> = -\frac{dN}{dt} [/tex]
[tex] n = n_0e^-{\frac{1}{4} \frac {A<v>t}{V} = n_0 e^-{bt} , b = {\frac{1}{4} \frac {A<v>}{V}[/tex]

Am I right to assume that temperature in the box is the same as temperature of the surrounding air, 290K? Since average temperature of air molecules entering the box is 290K, the average temperature in the box is also 290K, which is constant.

[tex] \frac {P_f}{P_i} = \frac {n_f}{n_i} = e^{-bt} [/tex]

Solving, [tex] t = 1.94 * 10^{12} s [/tex] The result is astronomical!

Physics news on Phys.org
1. Homework Statement [/b]

Problem with the 4th equation , can't edit it, so I'm reposting it!A container of volume 10−3 m3 has a pressure of 10−7 mbar.
Surrounded by air at 1 bar and 290 K, how long does it take the pressure inside to rise to 10−6 mbar when air effuses through a small hole of area 10−17 m2?

10xx4e1.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]Flux ø = \frac{1}{4}n<v> [/tex]

Starting from continuity equation:

[tex]øA = -\frac{dN}{dt}[/tex]
[tex]\frac {1}{4} \frac{NA}{V}<v> = -\frac{dN}{dt} [/tex]
[tex] n = n_0 e^{-\frac{1}{4} \frac {A<v>t}{V}} = n_0 e^{-bt} [/tex],
[tex] b = {\frac{1}{4} \frac {A<v>}{V}}[/tex]

Am I right to assume that temperature in the box is the same as temperature of the surrounding air, 290K? Since average temperature of air molecules entering the box is 290K, the average temperature in the box is also 290K, which is constant.

[tex] \frac {P_f}{P_i} = \frac {n_f}{n_i} = e^{-bt} [/tex]

Solving, [tex] t = 1.94 * 10^{12} s [/tex] The result is astronomical!

Can't you just use the flux of molecules coming into the vessel through the hole while neglecting molecules coming out (due to the huge difference in pressure)?

DrClaude said:
Can't you just use the flux of molecules coming into the vessel through the hole while neglecting molecules coming out (due to the huge difference in pressure)?

The flux that's entering the hole is ##\frac{1}{4}n<v>##. Solving the differential equation tells us its exponential. But I do not know the volume of the surroundings to solve for the constant b!

DrClaude said:

Ok, I've taken your advice, and made a few assumptions and gave the question another go:

Flux into the container ø = ##\frac{1}{4}n_{air}<v>##
[tex]\frac{N}{A} = \frac{1}{4} \frac {P_{air}}{kT_{air}} \sqrt{\frac{8kT}{\pi m}} [/tex]

I assume RHS = constant, since the surrounding air is huge, and ##n_{air}## shouldn't change much.

[tex]N = A* \frac{1}{4} \frac {P_{air}}{kT_{air}} \sqrt{\frac{8kT}{\pi m}} * t [/tex]

[tex]\frac{PV}{kT} = A* \frac{1}{4} \frac {P_{air}}{kT_{air}} \sqrt{\frac{8kT}{\pi m}} * t [/tex]

Subsituting ##P = 10^{-4}##,## V = 10^{-3}##, I still lack the temperature of the gas in the vessel..

I would assume that temperature to be the same as that of the air. In a sense, it depends on how you read between the lines of the problem, which is influence by the level of the course.

If this is basic thermodynamics, then I would take this as calculating how much time the hole would have to be left open, such that after it has been closed and the system has had time to equilibriate with the sourroundings the pressure gauge would read 10-6 mbar. There are many assumptions that can be made there to trasnform this into a simple problem.

If this is a more advanced course, then it could mean that you have to take into account the expansion of the gas coming into the vessel, and figure out when a gauge would read that pressure (if the gauge gave instantaneous results). Then you have to contend with the fact that the walls are diabatic, and it gets much more complicated.

My assumption from the beginning was that the first case applies, and that you should try to find a simple representation of the problem. And since the problem mentions thin walls, I guess you should assume that the temperature in the vessel is the same as that of the surrounding air.

Likes 1 person
DrClaude said:
I would assume that temperature to be the same as that of the air. In a sense, it depends on how you read between the lines of the problem, which is influence by the level of the course.

If this is basic thermodynamics, then I would take this as calculating how much time the hole would have to be left open, such that after it has been closed and the system has had time to equilibriate with the sourroundings the pressure gauge would read 10-6 mbar. There are many assumptions that can be made there to trasnform this into a simple problem.

If this is a more advanced course, then it could mean that you have to take into account the expansion of the gas coming into the vessel, and figure out when a gauge would read that pressure (if the gauge gave instantaneous results). Then you have to contend with the fact that the walls are diabatic, and it gets much more complicated.

My assumption from the beginning was that the first case applies, and that you should try to find a simple representation of the problem. And since the problem mentions thin walls, I guess you should assume that the temperature in the vessel is the same as that of the surrounding air.

Thanks. So it's okay to assume that the number density and temperature of surroundings in air doesn't change (since it's much more massive than the box)

unscientific said:
So it's okay to assume that the number density and temperature of surroundings in air doesn't change (since it's much more massive than the box)
Definitely.

Related to Effusion of molecules into a Box through a hole

What is effusion of molecules?

Effusion is the process of gas molecules escaping from a container through a small opening or hole.

What is the relationship between effusion and pressure?

The rate of effusion is directly proportional to the pressure of the gas. This means that as the pressure increases, the rate of effusion also increases.

How does the size of the hole affect the effusion rate?

The size of the hole has a significant impact on the effusion rate. A smaller hole will result in a slower effusion rate, while a larger hole will allow for a faster effusion rate. This is because a smaller hole restricts the number of molecules that can escape at once.

What factors affect the effusion rate?

The effusion rate is affected by several factors, including the temperature, pressure, and size of the hole. Additionally, the molecular weight and size of the gas molecules also play a role in determining the effusion rate.

What is Graham's law of effusion?

Graham's law of effusion states that the rate of effusion for two gases is inversely proportional to the square root of their molecular weights. This means that lighter gases will effuse faster than heavier gases.