Weird News Compilation

• News
  • Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    News Weird
In summary, a man who used to be a Fox News guest analyst and claimed to be a CIA agent was sentenced to 33 months in prison for lying about his security clearance, criminal history, and finances.
  • #1,716
collinsmark said:
It's a shame the solar panels were destroyed, but good god, the whole business about leaking chemicals poisoning the water table is nothing but ignorance and fear mongering. :rolleyes:
Prop 65 says they might cause cancer, in California but not Texas.

• Haha
Likes BillTre
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,717
nsaspook said:
Prop 65 says they might cause cancer, in California but not Texas
I guess they are safe then ("nothing to see folks, move on"). :nb)

• #1,718
Goose: No, no, Mav, this is not a good idea!

Maverick: Requesting permission for flyby.

Air Boss Johnson: That's a negative ghostrider, the pattern is full.

1712241421529.png

CNN --
The Federal Aviation Administration is investigating why a Southwest Airlines plane veered off course and had a close call with an air traffic control tower during an attempted landing at New York’s LaGuardia Airport, the agency said Thursday.

The incident happened around 1 p.m. on March 23 when Southwest Flight 147 aborted its first approach to the airport because of bad weather.

“Go around! Go around,” the air traffic controller is heard saying on ATC radio communication.
https://www.cnn.com/2024/04/04/travel/southwest-flight-laguardia-control-tower/index.html

• Wow
Likes pinball1970 and collinsmark
  • #1,719
Tom.G said:
I guess they are safe then ("nothing to see folks, move on"). :nb)
https://www.epa.gov/hw/end-life-solar-panels-regulations-and-management

Are Solar Panels Hazardous Waste?​

Hazardous waste testing on solar panels in the marketplace has indicated that different varieties of solar panels have different metals present in the semiconductor and solder. Some of these metals, like lead and cadmium, are harmful to human health and the environment at high levels. If these metals are present in high enough quantities in the solar panels, solar panel waste could be a hazardous waste under RCRA. Some solar panels are considered hazardous waste, and some are not, even within the same model and manufacturer. Homeowners with solar panels on their houses should contact their state/local recycling agencies for more information on disposal/recycling.

Overview of Hazardous Waste Regulations​

Federal solid and hazardous waste regulations (i.e., the RCRA requirements) apply to solar panels when they are discarded. When a solar panel reaches the end of its usable life or is otherwise discarded, it becomes solid waste. Solid waste is regulated federally under RCRA Subtitle D and through state and local government programs.

The discarded solar panel, which is now considered solid waste, may then also be regulated under RCRA Subtitle C as hazardous waste if it is determined to be hazardous. The most common reason that solar panels would be determined to be hazardous waste would be by meeting the characteristic of toxicity. Heavy metals like lead and cadmium may be leachable at such concentrations that waste panels would fail the toxicity characteristic leaching procedure (TCLP), a test required under RCRA to determine if materials are hazardous waste. If the generator of the solar panels knows from previous experience that the material would fail the TCLP test, they can determine that the waste is hazardous without the need for testing.

While heavy metals are present in most solar panels, there are a variety of manufacturers and models, with different materials used as semiconductors. Because of the variation in design and components, testing has shown that some solar panels may pass the TCLP while others fail.

Hazardous waste solar panels that are recycled may be able to use regulatory exclusions available under RCRA, including the transfer-based exclusion (Title 40 of the Code of Federal Regulations section 261.4(a)(24)) in states that have adopted the 2015 or 2018 Definition of Solid Waste Rule. The transfer-based exclusion is a regulatory exclusion for hazardous secondary material that is recycled, as long as certain criteria laid out in the regulations are followed. This conditional exclusion is designed to encourage recycling of materials by third parties while still providing a regulatory framework that prevents mismanagement.

• #1,720
nsaspook said:
https://www.epa.gov/hw/end-life-solar-panels-regulations-and-management

Are Solar Panels Hazardous Waste?​

Hazardous waste testing on solar panels in the marketplace has indicated that different varieties of solar panels have different metals present in the semiconductor and solder. Some of these metals, like lead and cadmium, are harmful to human health and the environment at high levels. If these metals are present in high enough quantities in the solar panels, solar panel waste could be a hazardous waste under RCRA. Some solar panels are considered hazardous waste, and some are not, even within the same model and manufacturer. Homeowners with solar panels on their houses should contact their state/local recycling agencies for more information on disposal/recycling.

Overview of Hazardous Waste Regulations​

Federal solid and hazardous waste regulations (i.e., the RCRA requirements) apply to solar panels when they are discarded. When a solar panel reaches the end of its usable life or is otherwise discarded, it becomes solid waste. Solid waste is regulated federally under RCRA Subtitle D and through state and local government programs.

The discarded solar panel, which is now considered solid waste, may then also be regulated under RCRA Subtitle C as hazardous waste if it is determined to be hazardous. The most common reason that solar panels would be determined to be hazardous waste would be by meeting the characteristic of toxicity. Heavy metals like lead and cadmium may be leachable at such concentrations that waste panels would fail the toxicity characteristic leaching procedure (TCLP), a test required under RCRA to determine if materials are hazardous waste. If the generator of the solar panels knows from previous experience that the material would fail the TCLP test, they can determine that the waste is hazardous without the need for testing.

While heavy metals are present in most solar panels, there are a variety of manufacturers and models, with different materials used as semiconductors. Because of the variation in design and components, testing has shown that some solar panels may pass the TCLP while others fail.

Hazardous waste solar panels that are recycled may be able to use regulatory exclusions available under RCRA, including the transfer-based exclusion (Title 40 of the Code of Federal Regulations section 261.4(a)(24)) in states that have adopted the 2015 or 2018 Definition of Solid Waste Rule. The transfer-based exclusion is a regulatory exclusion for hazardous secondary material that is recycled, as long as certain criteria laid out in the regulations are followed. This conditional exclusion is designed to encourage recycling of materials by third parties while still providing a regulatory framework that prevents mismanagement.

Yeah, yeah, that's all fine and dandy, but that also applies to any unrecycled e-waste. Never was there an intention of tossing the broken panels into the nearby gulch and forgetting about them.

The manufactured "uproar" in the town was contrived by anti-green conservatives claiming that even a crack in an installed solar panel will cause a flood of dangerous chemicals to magically spew out of the cracks and into the surrounding soil and water table. All of which is complete nonsense.

Likes Tom.G and BillTre
  • #1,721
collinsmark said:
Yeah, yeah, that's all fine and dandy, but that also applies to any unrecycled e-waste. Never was there an intention of tossing the broken panels into the nearby gulch and forgetting about them.

The manufactured "uproar" in the town was contrived by anti-green conservatives claiming that even a crack in an installed solar panel will cause a flood of dangerous chemicals to magically spew out of the cracks and into the surrounding soil and water table. All of which is complete nonsense.
"Never was there an intention of tossing the broken panels into the nearby gulch and forgetting about them"
I've been around the barn a few times so I wouldn't bet on that judging from past incidents.

Texas has some of the highest levels of renewable energy in that nation so I don't think that anti-green is a good characterization for the locals HAZMAT concerns from thousands of acres of broken panels.

https://insideclimatenews.org/news/09032023/inside-clean-energy-texas-renewables/
A new batch of data about the country’s electricity generation shows the increasing dominance of one state as the clean energy leader.

No, it’s not California.

It’s Texas.

This isn’t new. Texas has produced more gigawatt-hours of electricity from renewable sources than any other state for several years running, thanks largely to wind energy. Now, the state is expanding its lead by continuing to be the county’s leader in wind energy, by a mile, and quickly closing the gap on California on utility-scale solar power.

• #1,722
nsaspook said:
Texas has some of the highest levels of renewable energy in that nation [...]

Good for Texas. By that I mean I'm positing that that is good for Texas. As in the words you speak are a compliment for Texas and not a detraction for Texas. I'm not being sarcastic here. I'm really saying that Texas, having some of the highest levels of renewable energy in the nation, is good for Texas, and not a bad thing.

Right?

I feel the need to point this out, because the first video you quoted on post #1711, the YouTube video posted by "FOX 26 Houston" seems to portray solar panels and renewables as a bad thing. Just listen to some of the quotes:

Randy Wallace (correspondent): You were worried about the environmental impact of this before it was ever here?​
Nick Kaminsky (resident): That is correct.​
Nick Kaminsky (resident): My concern is with the hail damage that came through and busted these panels up we now have some highly toxic chemicals that could be potentially leaking into our water table.​
Miles Fugua (resident): There's numerous makeup in the chemicals on these things and the majority of them are cancer causing.​
Randy Wallace (correspondent): In a way this is kinda your worst nightmare come true.​
Miles Fugua (resident): It is.​
Nick Kaminsky (resident): I have a family I have two children and a wife. My neighbors have kids. And a lot of other residents in the area who are on well water are concerned the chemicals are now leaking into our water table.​
Miles Fugua (resident): So we've got livestock that have to drink it. We have to bathe, drink, ya know, all that good stuff. So, it's a big concern.​

And that displays a gross misconception of solar panel materials. In this reality (in the world which we live), any trace amounts of harmful chemicals are locked up in solid form. They stay within the solar panels, even if those solar panels in question are cracked.

And nobody in the video is talking about the recycling/disposal process. No. Rather they're taking about the here-and-now, in the immediate aftermath of the cracked solar panels.

They are portraying the situation as when a solar panel has a crack in it, a flood of poisonous goo spontaneously spews forth, out of the cracked solar panels, and flows into and contaminates the water supply. That's just wrong. It's not true.

I'm willing to cut the residents some slack for not knowing physics and chemistry, but the journalists should know better. What was reported was nothing but fear mongering and sensationalism.

Last edited:
Likes phinds, nsaspook and BillTre
  • #1,723
collinsmark said:

I'm willing to cut the residents some slack for not knowing physics and chemistry, but the journalists should know better. What was reported was nothing but fear mongering and sensationalism.
For the media in general, fear mongering and sensationalism sells soap, so total agreement with that.

Likes phinds and BillTre
  • #1,724
collinsmark said:
I'm willing to cut the residents some slack for not knowing physics and chemistry, but the journalists should know better.
Journalism today is not ABOUT "knowing better", it is about selling papers (or getting Internet hits). It has always been that way to some extent but I think it has gotten worse and worse over the last 20 years.

Also, keep in mind that the article was posted on a Fox "news" outlet. That alone tells you all you need to know.

• Informative
Likes BillTre and nsaspook
  • #1,725
nsaspook said:
For the media in general, fear mongering and sensationalism sells soap, so total agreement with that.
phinds said:
Journalism today is not ABOUT "knowing better", it is about selling papers (or getting Internet hits). It has always been that way to some extent but I think it has gotten worse and worse over the last 20 years.

Also, keep in mind that the article was posted on a Fox "news" outlet. That alone tells you all you need to know.

Not all news outlets are equal, though; some are better than others.

"Journalistic integrity" is all about putting the truth before profits (or less than legitimate motives). And as a whole, journalistic integrity has varied greatly with many ups and downs throughout history. I mean if you think it's bad today, it was worse circa 1890.

But, yes, I agree it's been on a horrible downswing in the past 20 years. But that's true with some news outlets more than others. I don't think that all hope is lost. You just need to know better where you get your info.

Regarding Fox local affiliates specifically, one really needs to take them on a case-by-case basis. Many (some [edit: maybe a few]) of them have done pretty well at maintaining independent and honest reporting. But based on this example, I would say that FOX 26 Houston is not one of them. (Oh, and yes, Fox News cable is one of the absolute worst. Just don't jump to conclusions about all Fox local affiliates though.)

Last edited:
Likes nsaspook and BillTre
  • #1,726

• Haha
Likes mfb and BillTre
  • #1,727
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/ar-BB1lkZoq
A thief stole his identity, but nobody believed him. He spent nearly 2 years locked up
But, after 1988, there was no record of Keirans ever using his own name, date of birth or Social Security number, according to his plea agreement.

Instead, Keirans obtained employment, insurance, a Social Security number, driver's licenses, titles, loans and credit using Woods' identity. He even paid taxes under his former coworker's name.

In December 1990, Keirans got a Colorado ID card as Woods. Then he got a job at a fast food restaurant and opened a new bank account, all using the stolen identity.

The following September, Keirans, posing as Woods, bought a car for $600 using checks that later bounced, according to the agreement. As a result, an arrest warrant was issued for Woods.

Keirans' fiction extended to his personal life. He married in 1994. The couple had a child in Oregon who bore Woods' last name. To keep his charade going, Keirans in 2012 obtained Woods' certified birth certificate from Kentucky, using information from Ancestry.com, according to prosecutors.

I'm glad the FBI has my prints on file.

What a monster.
He was trying to get his victim locked up in a psych hospital for life.
Welcome back to being Matthew David Keirans, convict.

• Wow
Likes Borg
  • #1,728

• Haha
  • Wow
Likes OmCheeto, mfb, Borg and 2 others
  • #1,729

• Love
  • Wow
Likes berkeman, Astronuc, BillTre and 3 others
  • #1,730

• Wow
Likes jack action and collinsmark
  • #1,731
1712933368029.png

CNN --
For a brief moment, one German man achieved his dream: his artwork hanging in a famous museum.

But just hours later, the aspiring artist’s hopes for his big break were dimmed when his stunt instead landed him in big trouble with his employer – and the police.

The 51-year-old exhibition technician and self-proclaimed “freelance artist” smuggled one of his paintings into the Pinakothek der Moderne in Munich, Germany, on February 26 and hung it on a wall in one of the galleries, according to German tabloid Süddeutsche Zeitung and the Munich police. After security discovered the newest addition to the museum’s collections, they promptly took down the display and the man was fired.

The museum’s press spokesperson confirmed the incident and the employee’s termination to CNN.

“A technical employee of one of the four museums represented in the Pinakothek der Moderne, who had not previously attracted attention in this regard, mounted the object in an exhibition room of the Sammlung Moderne Kunst outside opening hours,” Tine Nehler said.

“As a result of the incident, he has been banned from the museum until further notice and his employment will not be continued.”

• Haha
Likes BillTre
  • #1,732
Well, ya gotta give the guy kudos for ambition and chutzpah, if not for brains.

Likes BillTre and collinsmark
  • #1,733
berkeman said:
Wow! The Munich police must really have nothing to do:
https://www.cnn.com/2024/04/10/style/museum-worker-fired-hanging-own-art-scli-intl/index.html said:
The incident also caught the attention of the police, who told CNN that the man was under investigation for damage to property, a crime which could carry a fine or a prison sentence of up to two years if he is convicted.

“We have of course initiated criminal charges. This means that the public prosecutor’s office will now decide what happens,” Christian Drexler, chief superintendent of the Munich Police, told CNN. “But it’s up to the judiciary to decide in each individual case.”

The painting “was attached to an exhibition wall with two screws, which is why this exhibition wall was damaged and the Munich criminal investigation department is now investigating the damage to property caused by the drill holes,” Drexler added. “The total damage is estimated at around €100 ($107). The picture has since been removed and confiscated.”

• Haha
Likes mfb
  • #1,734

Beach house left leaning on neighbors’ homes after Florida storm. Now they’re suing​

https://news.yahoo.com/beach-house-left-leaning-neighbors-211709023.html

The homeowners, James Sturgeon and Yik Chun Wu, sought to demolish the structure but stopped a demolition scheduled for March 4 from happening, the complaint says.

When Stienecker and Lawrence {owners of adjacent properties on which the collapsed house is leaning} arrived for the demolition that day, they “were ambushed with a demand that they agree to waive all liability relating to the demolition work or demolition would not proceed,” according to the complaint, which says they both denied the demand.

The leaning home remains resting in the same position. Sturgeon and Wu believe they aren’t required to remove it under Florida law, the complaint says.

Looking at the collapse of the first floor, it was probably improperly designed and/or constructed. It was not sufficiently strong to support 3 stories above. The same type of collapse occurred during construction during Hurricane Michael.

In a completely different story from England, a driver attempts to flee from police - in reverse.
https://news.yahoo.com/strange-pursuit-driver-flees-police-201841989.html

• Wow
Likes collinsmark
  • #1,735

Motorcyclist Uploaded 170 MPH Pull To YouTube, Cops Noticed​

https://news.yahoo.com/motorcyclist-uploaded-170-mph-pull-153000594.html
An arrest warrant has been issued in Colorado for Rendon Dietzmann, a Texas man who allegedly posted a YouTube video showcasing himself speeding through Colorado from Colorado Springs to Denver in just 20 minutes. The video, which purportedly displayed speeds exceeding 170 miles per hour on Interstate 25, has been removed but not before attracting the attention of law enforcement and leading to multiple charges against Dietzmann.

Likes pinball1970
  • #1,738
Kafka, Kafka, Kafka & Kafka : Attorneys at Law

"How do you do Ctrl-Z on this thing?"

Last edited:
  • Wow
Likes Astronuc, phinds, jack action and 1 other person
  • #1,739
A man in Naples, Florida, now has answers, over a month after a space object crashed through the roof of his home.

NASA confirmed in a press release that the object was part of a cargo pallet containing aging nickel hydride batteries from the International Space Station.

Specifically, NASA said the object was "a stanchion from the NASA flight support equipment used to mount the batteries on the cargo pallet."
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/nasa-identifies-space-object-that-hit-florida-home/ar-BB1lJIaw

"The total mass of the hardware released from space station was about 5,800 pounds."

Likes pinball1970
  • #1,740
What I find interesting is that the pallet was released 3 years ago. I guess they didn't give it much of a push toward the ground.

• #1,742
Bank Teller: Can I get a photo ID and a pulse please?

Likes pinball1970 and berkeman
  • #1,743
Borg said:
Bank Teller: Can I get a photo ID and a pulse please?
And BP, the gentleman appears to be 0 over 0. I'm no Dr madam but I don't think that is good.

• #1,744
Hilariously, Tesla warns that the truck should never be washed in "direct sunlight" due to possible corrosion in the stainless steel. A special "Car Wash Mode," which closes all windows and disables wipers, should also be used to avoid damage.

Drivers also have to opt out of regular car washes and are told only to use "touchless car washes" that don't make contact with the Cybertruck's surface.

And in case you forget to follow any of this advice, you may be out of luck when it comes to having the company fix your broken-down truck.

"Failure to put Cybertruck in Car Wash Mode may result in damage," the company's manual reads. "Damage caused by car washes is not covered by the warranty."

"Damage caused by improper washing" is also not covered.
https://news.yahoo.com/tech/cybertruck-turns-large-metal-brick-150515024.html
Fortunately, in the case of the car wash, captain.ad's vehicle mysteriously started working again after he filed a ticket and went to bed. The vehicle seemingly needed a complete reboot, which was triggered by him holding down the two buttons the night before — but required five excruciating hours to complete.

• Wow
  • Haha
  • Informative
Likes Borg, nsaspook, collinsmark and 2 others
  • #1,746
Astronuc said:
I rented a car. I wanted to get into the back seat, which was locked. The rear window was open, so I reached through it and unlocked the door. The car shut down. We had to call the rental agency on the phone to get some special access code. It's a good thing we had telephone coverage and that there wasn't an emergency like a flood or fire. If so we could have died.

• Wow
Likes Astronuc and collinsmark
  • #1,747
Physics professor unjustly imprisoned for drug smuggling, serves two year sentence.

• Sad
Likes BillTre
  • #1,748
Hornbein said:
Physics professor unjustly imprisoned for drug smuggling, serves two year sentence.
I remember that story. Sad it was.