Corpse of monk in lotus position; Died 1723

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Position
In summary, the body of a Buddhist monk, Nhu Tri, who died in 1723, was recently found in a lotus position in a pagoda in Bac Ninh province, Vietnam. The body was preserved with a special preservative paint and was discovered around 30 years ago during the Vietnam War. Despite some damage, the body remained intact and is now on display at the Bac Ninh Museum. This discovery showcases the impressive spiritual and physical discipline of Buddhist monks, including their practice of self-mummification.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
HANOI (AFP) - The corpse of a Buddhist monk sitting in a lotus position has been uncovered in a pagoda in northern Vietnam over 280 years after he died, a museum official said.
The body of the monk, Nhu Tri, who died in 1723 in a tower at the Tieu Pagoda in Bac Ninh province, was covered in a layer of special preservative paint.

His internal organs remained intact but one eye socket was damaged and his arms were broken off at the elbow, according to Nguyen Duy Nhat, deputy director of the Bac Ninh Museum.

The corpse was first discovered around 30 years ago during the Vietnam War but local authorities were not in a position to preserve it.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/afp/vietnam_archaeology_monk

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
wow, did you also hear about the monk who mummified himself in a lotus position? I saw that on Discovery channel once, where two mummy experts examined the body sitting at a shrine, and talked to his son. Apparently he spent weeks sitting in that position, not drinking and not eating. Apparently he drank very salty water just before he died, effectively dehydrating even more, thus allowing preservation.

I will likely be found one day in the Dell position; preserved with coffee.

hahaha

Buddhism

The Buddhist Monks of Vietnam have always impressed me with their spirituality and KNOWLEDGE. Our society would be wise not to consider their WAY as having little to offer.

The cover of the classic Rage Against The Machine album. I have it on my wall.
Love those Monks self-immolating (in protest against the Vietnam War).
Man, that is FAITH.

Related to Corpse of monk in lotus position; Died 1723

1. Who was the monk in the lotus position and when did he die?

The monk in the lotus position is an unidentified individual who died in 1723. His identity and cause of death are unknown.

2. Where was the corpse of the monk found?

The corpse of the monk was found in a lotus position in a monastery in Tibet in 1723.

3. How was the monk able to maintain the lotus position after death?

It is believed that the monk had achieved a high level of meditation and inner peace, allowing his body to remain in the lotus position even after death.

4. Is the corpse of the monk in the lotus position still intact?

No, the corpse of the monk has since decomposed and is no longer in the lotus position. However, there are photographs and replicas of the original body that exist.

5. What is the significance of the corpse of the monk in the lotus position?

The corpse of the monk in the lotus position is considered a symbol of enlightenment and inner peace in many spiritual and religious beliefs. It serves as a reminder of the power of meditation and the possibility of achieving spiritual transcendence.

Back