Weird News Compilation

• News
  • Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    News Weird
In summary, a man who used to be a Fox News guest analyst and claimed to be a CIA agent was sentenced to 33 months in prison for lying about his security clearance, criminal history, and finances.
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,228
Shocking news of India!

India Unpopulated.png

I knew censorship was rife, but never imagined suppression of an event on such a grand scale.

See for yourself at https://www.worldometers.info/world-population/population-by-country/

Last edited:
  • #1,229
1659019365148.png

(CNN) -- A man suspected of starting two fires in remote southwest Oregon was arrested, after reportedly being tied to a tree by three people until police arrived, Curry County Sheriff John Ward said in statement posted on Facebook.
The sheriff's office thanked those who assisted with controlling the fire and detaining the suspect.

"The quick actions on getting the fires out most certainly averted a catastrophe and saved lives. The total area burnt is less than one acre," the sheriff said in the release. "If the fires had not been contained and if they got out of control, they could have blocked all the residents and visitors from having an escape route."
On Monday, the sheriff's office received a call from the US Forest Service about fires burning in the far northeast portion of Curry County, according to the statement. The area can only be accessed by Bureau of Land Management and forest service roads and via the river. A BLM employee who was in the area of the blazes saw a man walking along a gravel road and starting fires, Ward said.

Dispatchers alerted local, state and federal authorities, asking for assistance with the fires and finding the man.
Ground crews -- including area residents -- got the fires controlled quickly, according to the release.

Three residents found the 30-year-old suspect, Trennon Smith, walking near the fires and detained him until police arrived, according to Ward's statement.
"It was reported that the suspect became very combative with the three residents and had to be tied to a tree to subdue him," Ward said in the release.

Likes BillTre
  • #1,230
Oof. Tied to a tree while people are fighting a wildfire? I hope they have a lot of evidence he actually started it...

• #1,231
Yeah, I kind of wondered which tree they tied him to. Somewhere in the article it mentions that he was indeed seen walking along setting fires...

Likes BillTre and Ibix
  • #1,235
An airline passenger has been fined nearly $2,000 after two undeclared egg and beef sausage McMuffins and a ham croissant were found in their luggage by an airport security dog upon arriving in Australia.

The unnamed person traveling from Indonesia to Australia was fined $2,664 Australian dollars ($1,874 in American dollars) after the trio of McDonald's breakfast sandwiches were found in their luggage on arriving at Darwin Airport, https://minister.agriculture.gov.au/watt/media-releases/darwin-detector-dog-zinta-mcmuffins
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/airline-passenger-fined-nearly-2-162302473.html

I could understand raw (or unprocessed) meats, but the food was cooked! Some government policies are simply nuts (absurdly irrational).

• Wow
Likes collinsmark
  • #1,238
Astronuc said:
I could understand raw (or unprocessed) meats, but the food was cooked! Some government policies are simply nuts (absurdly irrational).

From a similar link: https://abc7news.com/passenger-fined-$1846-for-bringing-mcmuffins-to-australia/12094101/
The meat products were sniffed out by a newly trained biosecurity detector dog named Zinta.
Hell, even *I* could smell that in luggage! Sign me up! :smile:

The seized meat will be tested for foot and mouth disease before it is destroyed.
If it tests positive, McDonald's (or McDowell's, whichever) in Bali, Indonesia will be in more trouble than this airline passenger...

• #1,239
  • #1,240
berkeman said:
[...] Indonesia will be in more trouble than this airline passenger...
It already is.

Various Australian agencies are extremely worried about letting in FMD. See this.

@Astronuc: Alas, such vigilance is not "nuts". Not at all. :oldfrown:

• Wow
Likes berkeman and fresh_42
  • #1,241
Astronuc said:
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/airline-passenger-fined-nearly-2-162302473.html

It's pretty common that you have to declare food and some countries ban meat, cooked or not.
The US doesn't allow any meat, and undeclared food products can come with a fine of up to $10,000.
The UK doesn't allow meat from outside the EU and a couple of associated countries
Germany does allow the import but you still have to declare it (when from outside the EU and a couple of associated countries). This is probably an EU-wide rule.

Likes fresh_42
  • #1,245
Gotta give that a lake. I mean a like.

Likes berkeman
  • #1,246
Ibix said:
Gotta give that a lake. I mean a like.
Cry me a raver!

• Haha
Likes berkeman
  • #1,247

Copy-paste error results in Nevada homebuyer getting 87 properties for the price of one home​

https://finance.yahoo.com/copy-paste-error-results-nevada-212533929.html

RENO, Nev. – A Nevada homebuyer literally got more than she bargained for after ending up with an entire swath of lots in a subdivision in the west-central part of the state – while buying a single-family home.

The buyer was originally purchasing a single-family home in Sparks, Nevada, valued at $594,481. However, the Washoe County (Nevada) Assessor and Washoe County Recorder’s Office had records showing the buyer gained not just the property she was buying but also 84 extra house lots – and two additional parcels – in Toll Brothers’ Stonebrook development just northeast of Reno.

The properties include several home sites that have already been built on and sold. At least 64 of the lots were put under the buyer’s name as of Saturday.

The transaction was flagged by the assessor’s office, which says it quickly notified the title company involved in the transaction.

“It appears Westminster Title out of Las Vegas may have copied and pasted a legal description from another Toll Brothers transfer when preparing (the homebuyer’s) deed for recordation,” said Cori Burke, chief deputy assessor for Washoe County.
Now that is a pretty big Ooops!

• Haha
  • Wow
Likes collinsmark and Borg
  • #1,248
_nc_ohc=UZ_iD_IwRyAAX-KLrMS&_nc_ht=scontent-muc2-1.jpg

• Sad
  • Wow
Likes dextercioby, Hornbein, pinball1970 and 4 others
  • #1,250
1661012199926.png

A Capuchin monkey at a California zoo dialed 911 on a cellphone, prompting San Luis Obispo County Sheriff’s Office deputies to respond to the scene.

They quickly found that none of the humans at Zoo to You near Paso Robles had made the call — and eventually figured out that a monkey named Route was behind it, officials said.

“Apparently, Route had picked up the zoo’s cell phone... which was in the zoo’s golf cart... which is used to travel around the zoo’s 40 acre site,” the sheriff’s department said in a Facebook post.

“We’re told Capuchin monkeys are very inquisitive and will grab anything and everything and just start pushing buttons,” the post continued.

“And that’s what Route did... just so happened it was in the right combination of numbers to call us.”
https://www.firehouse.com/tech-comm...8140/monkey-grabs-phone-dials-911-from-ca-zoo

• Haha
  • Wow
Likes pinball1970, collinsmark, strangerep and 1 other person
  • #1,252
Borg said:
One of your emergency calls?
Not this time. :smile:

Likes Borg
  • #1,254
mfb said:
I remember reading of someone who was charged with doing 40mph in a 30mph limit. The police said they'd noticed his speed, followed him for a while to ascertain that he was maintaining 40, then stopped him. He got off the charge by pointing out that given the times and places they reported first seeing him and stopping him he'd have to have been doing at least 120 the whole way...

Likes mfb
  • #1,255
Ibix said:
He got off the charge by pointing out that given the times and places they reported first seeing him and stopping him he'd have to have been doing at least 120 the whole way...
To drop the issue on the photo below (198km/h) took an official paper from the manufacturer about the top speed (in mint shape it's around 120km/h) of that decently rusted piece of old hardware.
2382882_4162f984427f4996a6144c9cbe325022_wm.jpg

On the other hand, one such photo definitely makes a selling point o0)

Likes Ibix
  • #1,256
Rive said:
To drop the issue on the photo below (198km/h) took an official paper from the manufacturer about the top speed (in mint shape it's around 120km/h) of that decently rusted piece of old hardware.
View attachment 313266
On the other hand, one such photo definitely makes a selling point o0)
I used to have a van like that. The cops stopped me a couple of times. I guess it reminds them of the Cheech and Chong van.

• #1,257

Erling Haaland statue stolen after complaints it doesn’t look like him​

The three-meter-high effigy was built on the trunk of a century-old tree and they suspect that a man with a crane pulled it out at night.
https://en.as.com/soccer/erling-haaland-statue-stolen-after-complaints-it-doesnt-look-like-him-n/

The title of the story on Eurosport was:

Statue Of Erling Haaland Stolen: "Some Complained That It Is Too Ugly"​

https://www.eurosport.de/fussball/p...-dass-sie-zu-hasslich-_sto9101496/story.shtml

• Haha
Likes pinball1970 and dextercioby
  • #1,260
fresh_42 said:

Queen did not want ‘long, boring’ funeral, says former archbishop of York​

Fortunately, she no longer has to sit through endless hours of boring drivel almost every day, and call it "service".